WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have no issues with crossbows being banned during archery seasons.
they really are not bows ,they are not really rifles.

why not open some seasons that are crossbow only? idaho has some few shortrange seasons where you can use crossbow , compound ,sluggun, blackpowder....., why not try something like that?

no need to totally ban them, just open some seasons specifically for them

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Couple comments.

First off, it absolutely is a huge can of worms, it is divisive, and it is contentious.

There is nobody that is going to look me in the eye, that shoots a modern compound and take the high ground that their method is primitive, and what the intent of archery is, and the guy shooting a crossbow is any different.

Right now in Wyoming its perfectly legal to have a draw-lock on a compound, which would make the difference between a crossbow and a modern compound be, one is held vertically, one horizontally...only difference.

There was a time to get in front of archery technology, this is going to be a very tough time to do it. Crossbows have been legal here for a long time.

I just wonder how the guys that successfully pushed for archery seasons in the 50's and 60's felt as they had their vision of what archery should be was stripped from them? They hunted with recurves, longbows, and self bows...they have a legitimate reason to complain. They were pushed to the dirt as compounds became the new norm. Then it was releases, cams, carbon arrows, drop away rests, over-draws, stabilizers, fast flight strings...and on and on and on.

The people promoting the advancements in compounds didn't give a chit about what they did to the pioneers of the sport as their technology advanced unhindered....and still don't.

The advances weren't to make people more effective up to 30 yards, it was done to make people effective at 40-50-60-70+ yards. Hit google for "100 yard archery kills"....pages and pages of it.

That's where archery is at, that's the new normal...its blown so far past the original intent of the sport, its hardly recognizable.

All that leads to...I just don't see how I can hold my Mathews in one hand, point at a guy with a crossbow with the other, and claim I have the moral or ethical high ground. That my weapon is "primitive" and his isn't.

I cant do that...and I don't see how anyone can.

I think the best thing to do is leave it alone...and I wont be touching this issue with a 10 foot pole.
sure can't argue with that. if folks didn't want crossbows legal they would not be so popular.

I don't own one but I sure have no problem with folks using them.

there is never an answer that will please all , in any scenario.
BANNING ,IMHO, is not the answer. the opening of seperate seasons is, IMHO , an IDEA WITH MERIT.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
No matter what it is, the more technology we lean on for success the worse it gets. The more efficient we become the more animals we take, the more we take, the less we have. We are our own worst enemy. Too many people get caught up in the killing and forget about the hunting, it?s not supposed to be easy. Somewhere along the way restrictions have to be made technologically or opportunity wise. I personally would rather see technology restricted before opportunity. But that’s not how we do things in today’s world.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
There are absolutely advantages to a crossbow over a compound. Being able to belly crawl into position, and shoot without raising up or drawing on any animal makes the stalk/hunt exponentially easier. There are other real or perceived advantages but that is the huge one to me... no movement prior to the shot. I can think of so many occasions me or one of my hunters got busted trying to draw on an elk...
That said, Wyoming has dug themselves into this hole and I'm not sure there is a right way to get out of it. Restrictions on age/physical ability? Short range seasons? I don't know the right answer but I'm guessing if it goes to the court of public opinion in Wyoming, the general hunting population will vote to ban them during the archery only seasons.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I have been steadily working on my archery skills for a year. I would in no way think that 100 yard shots are appropriate. Within a day I could do that with a crossbow with a modern optic. Wind drift? Kestrel and a Windplex(or similar) reticle.

One day. No comparison.

Those who make these long archery shots rarely talk about lost and injured deer. Seems that is becoming more talked about as witnessed by the appearance of such events in YouTube videos. Hushin had a recent one that had some interesting elements.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
No matter what it is, the more technology we lean on for success the worse it gets. The more efficient we become the more animals we take, the more we take, the less we have. We are our own worst enemy. Too many people get caught up in the killing and forget about the hunting, it?s not supposed to be easy. Somewhere along the way restrictions have to be made technologically or opportunity wise. I personally would rather see technology restricted before opportunity. But that?s not how we do things in today?s world.
Worth reading twice...the problem in a nutshell.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Bowhunting became popular because of the invention of the technologically advanced compound bows' advantages over the recurve bows. Many of the folks on here are too young to have seen the explosion of bowhunters in the 1970's and '80s with the invention of the compound bow. They really have no clue as to how good they have it with these modern bows but want to argue about the unfair advantages of a crossbow? I don't get it.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have been steadily working on my archery skills for a year. I would in no way think that 100 yard shots are appropriate. Within a day I could do that with a crossbow with a modern optic. Wind drift? Kestrel and a Windplex(or similar) reticle.

One day. No comparison.

Those who make these long archery shots rarely talk about lost and injured deer. Seems that is becoming more talked about as witnessed by the appearance of such events in YouTube videos. Hushin had a recent one that had some interesting elements.
All I was saying, ya still need to take the time to learn to use it right. [emoji6]

Take my senior mother-in-law when she got her 1st iphone-last yr, that was kinda fun to watch evolve. lol

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
I'm a fit 30-year-old, and I use a crossbow. When I crawled through the sage brush last antelope season with a heavy crossbow that I can only hold from underneath because the string is drawn and I like having fingers, I certainly didn't feel like I have an advantage over a vertical bow hunter. Quite the opposite, I wished I had practiced with my vertical bow more so I could've hunted with that instead.

Last edited:

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Should we go back to this? These are my Dad's bows he used in the '50's, '60's, '70's and '80's before switching to a crossbow after a neck surgery. I painted his recurve bow green when I was a teenager, I guess so he could keep up with technology.

Dad's bows.jpg

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Bowhunting became popular because of the invention of the technologically advanced compound bows' advantages over the recurve bows. Many of the folks on here are too young to have seen the explosion of bowhunters in the 1970's and '80s with the invention of the compound bow. They really have no clue as to how good they have it with these modern bows but want to argue about the unfair advantages of a crossbow? I don't get it.
I remember when the first compounds came on the scene. The recurve and longbow hunters screamed bloody murder, the same thing the compound bow users are doing now against the crossbow users. Unfair advantage? I think not. Crossbows get kids and handicapped into hunting, that's not a bad thing.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
As far as technology goes, I wouldn't mind if they outlaw turrets on scopes and slider sights on bows to make rifle and archery season what they were intended for!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Oregon addressed a parallel issue with Muzzleloaders some years back. With hi velocity pellet powered sabot loads with hi powered scopes on Muzzleloaders, hunt success was way up. As I recall the basic choice was restrict the weapon to be closer to its primitive origins or big cuts in muzzleloader hunt tag numbers. The technology was restricted. Oregon also offers a long bow/recurve bow hunt, no compounds.

Perhaps there is a lesson in there someplace.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Should we go back to this? These are my Dad's bows he used in the '50's, '60's, '70's and '80's before switching to a crossbow after a neck surgery. I painted his recurve bow green when I was a teenager, I guess so he could keep up with technology.

View attachment 20737
I would rather see this than have hunting continue to progress the way it has. Now, it's all about doing things the easy way. I enjoy having to practice in order to hone my skills. It makes me appreciate every animal I'm able to take. Using the argument that crossbows get people hunting who couldn't otherwise draw a bow, doesn't hold water. My 11 year old son isn't quite competent with his bow, and that's o.k. He will just have to continue practicing. Or he can hunt with a rifle during season. I will never be able to run a marathon, does that mean I should be able to use a bicycle? Not everyone will be able to participate in every activity, that's something we have to live with.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Crossbows should be illegal during archery seasons nationwide, period. I dont even feel that disabled people should be allowed to use them.

If you cant draw the bow, you cant hunt during archery season. Period. And Yes, if I was disabled I would still stand by that statement.

I have personal reasons for leaning this direction and growing up in Pennsylvania and watching them be allowed into Archery season turn into a complete shit show has a lot to do with it.

Crossbows and Rage broadheads. Its how they roll there. Its a joke with 65% of the "Archery hunters" using crossbows now.

I'm not going to get any Christmas Cards next year over this post but trust me. If you haven't experienced the crossbow showdown first hand then you dont truly know what your talking about on this topic. I lived it and it was horrible. I dont even care if I archery hunt in PA any more.

I can only HOPE that the western states dont change their policies to allow crossbows. God help you if they do and you all can remember I posted this to warn you....

I will leave with this excerpt from the P&Y club that I FIRMLY STAND BY:

Crossbow Policy Statement
The Pope and Young Club was founded to promote bowhunting and to record for posterity the outstanding examples of North American big game animals taken solely with the hunting bow.

For the purpose of the Pope and Young Club, a bow shall be defined as a longbow, recurve bow or compound bow that is hand-held and hand-drawn, and that has no mechanical device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw. Other than the energy stored by the drawn bow, no device to propel the arrow will be permitted.

Consequently, the Pope and Young Club does not consider the crossbow to be a hunting bow and will not accept any trophies collected by crossbow hunters. Further, the Pope and Young Club considers the use of crossbows during bowhunting seasons to be a serious threat to the future of bowhunting.

The Pope and Young Club therefore recommends the crossbow should not be considered for use in any bowhunting only season. Also, the Club strongly recommends that crossbow hunting be abolished from all existing bowhunting only seasons and the use of crossbows for hunting be restricted to firearms seasons.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Worth reading twice...the problem in a nutshell.
I agree. I would also rather see technology restricted before opportunity.

Out with the Modern In-lines and back in with the flintlocks! THIS WOULD BE SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Crossbows should be illegal during archery seasons nationwide, period. I dont even feel that disabled people should be allowed to use them.

If you cant draw the bow, you cant hunt during archery season. Period. And Yes, if I was disabled I would still stand by that statement.
Wow! What a pathetic statement. Do you think the disabled are going to shoot all your animals with their crossbows and rage tipped arrows? Your views on this disgust me. That's all I will say without being banned from this forum.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yep! disagreement and debate is productive. but we must remember, fellow hunters are not the enemy.
the antis are and they love to see us divided.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Like I said I have my reasons.

The reality is, I have seen a lot and I mean a LOT of people (who were perfectly capable of drawing a bow) cheat the system simply by getting a doctors note/signature long before crossbows were even Legalized in my home state.

Most wont accept or understand my reasoning's. But I assure you they are based on facts and I didnt come up with my personal opinions out of thin air.

Calling my views pathetic..well thats ok. Actually, go ahead and call me whatever you want because I really dont care.

If you have seen what I have seen in regards to crossbows during the archery seasons you would possibly understand.

Bottom line is that I will NEVER accept crossbows being used during an archery season by anybody for any purpose or reason. EVER.