WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
Twice I have typed a well thought out response and both times the forum timed out on me and I lost it all, so I will do a short reply. My dad is 83 years old and still rents a horse to go hunting in the backcountry with me. Without a crossbow he would've had to quit hunting 20 years ago and I probably would have not got into elk hunting. I have started to lower my poundage the last couple years so I will not be able to pull enough pounds in 5-10 years but I will not be handicapped. My young son is not able to pull enough poundage for elk and not being efficient enough with a traditional bow. He gets straight A's in school to be able to go elk hunting. To those that think no using crossbows for anybody? Well I can't say what I'm thinking without getting banned. Rifle hunting takes years to get a good tag and the over counter tags are a F'N circus, not for me.

On the lower left of the response page is an restore auto-saved content button. Next time click on it and you'll get your post back.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I also have first hand experience with stalking an elk with a crossbow and with a compound and I would take the compound over a crossbow every time.
I'll listen. Why would you prefer a compound over a crossbow?
Are you shooting a modern crossbow?
I think what primarily has people concerned about crossbows is that continuing technology is really extending ranges and lethality. Ravins add showing rifle like performance at 100 has people concerned. I guarantee 200 yards crossbows are made and being tested as we speak. Arrow technology is not far behind.

Bipod and a side mounted Aimpoint? No comparison to archery.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Twice I have typed a well thought out response and both times the forum timed out on me and I lost it all, so I will do a short reply. My dad is 83 years old and still rents a horse to go hunting in the backcountry with me. Without a crossbow he would've had to quit hunting 20 years ago and I probably would have not got into elk hunting. I have started to lower my poundage the last couple years so I will not be able to pull enough pounds in 5-10 years but I will not be handicapped. My young son is not able to pull enough poundage for elk and not being efficient enough with a traditional bow. He gets straight A's in school to be able to go elk hunting. To those that think no using crossbows for anybody? Well I can't say what I'm thinking without getting banned. Rifle hunting takes years to get a good tag and the over counter tags are a F'N circus, not for me.
You are making a great point. If they ban crossbows, they will be discriminating against youth, women and seniors! And some of us seniors have spent a lifetime supporting wildlife and the Game and Fish Department. To have the rug pulled out from under us in our golden years is betrayal!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I think what primarily has people concerned about crossbows is that continuing technology is really extending ranges and lethality. Ravins add showing rifle like performance at 100 has people concerned. I guarantee 200 yards crossbows are made and being tested as we speak. Arrow technology is not far behind.

The same thing about modern technology in crossbows could be said about modern compound bows as well. 100yd shots are commonplace with either. So what's your point? I still think getting kids involved with hunting with a crossbow is a good idea to get young folks out in the field instead of planted in front of a computer playing games, or out getting in trouble.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
The same thing about modern technology in crossbows could be said about modern compound bows as well. 100yd shots are commonplace with either. So what's your point? I still think getting kids involved with hunting with a crossbow is a good idea to get young folks out in the field instead of planted in front of a computer playing games, or out getting in trouble.
You crossbow fans keep saying 100 yard shots are common with verticle bows. I don't know where you are getting that from. The only people making 100 yard shots at big game with verticle bows are either fools, or people who dedicate YEARS to developing that skill. Years. Not days. And days is exactly what it would take for me to teach a new shooter how to hit a paper plate at 100 yards with a modern crossbow.

As far as kids go, how about fishing and small game as has been done for generations. When did the ability for your average 13 year old to kill a mature bull elk become a right? Shed hunting, swimming, athletics, the list goes on and on. How about accompanying hunters until they build the skill and strength to do it on their own. Or any manner of youth and mentored rifle hunts.

Crossbows are not archery, and technology is going to continue to make that more obvious very soon. 200 yard kill shots are right around the corner.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota

If your trying to crawl or on your hands and knees stalking with a loaded crossbow there is not many ways to carry it safely. The limbs, string and cables are horizontal with the ground cover so you have to make sure to get above all that. The crossbows are twice the weight of a compound and need to set up a bipod to shoot accurately. With a compound I can draw my bow from cover and raise up to shoot quicker than having to set a bipod up, get the crossbow on top of the bipod, make sure the bipod is not in the way of the string and take the safety off. I have a Ravin and it is still heavier and more bulky to carry than my compound. Yes at 20-30 yards the Ravin is a one hole group but at 100 yards I can group my hoyt just as good as the Ravin. Plus you have to carry shooting sticks because you can't really lean against a tree with a crossbow.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
If it wasn't for accepting new technology we would all be shooting stick bows with wooden arrows, stone points and muskets.
People are shooting compounds past 100 yards, muzzleloaders past 300 yards and rifles past 1000 yards. Maybe there needs to be 4 seasons, 1. traditional archery, 2.compound bows, crossbows, muzzleloader, 3. stock rifles 4. custom rifles ?
If you don't want to accept new technology then you need to pick a date in time that no more new technology after that date.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I have shot a compound for over 30 years. I have very modern equipment and have spent countless hours practicing. I have taken over 100 big game animals with a bow. My longest kill shot to date was just under 60 yards. I feel my current maximum yardage is 50 to ethically kill a big game animal. Maybe I'm not as talented as some out there but feel I fit into the average to above average archer population. I am not saying I am or I'm not in favor of banning crossbows, but the arguments about them being the same are ridiculous. They absolutely extend an archers range and they do provide an advantage when in close presence to a big game animal.

I do think people should be able to continue bowhunting later in life as they can't draw a crossbow. Most states that have them "banned" allow a provision to use one with a doctors note. I think people on the forum are picking the extremes to argue. The discussion, imo, is about able bodied adults being allowed to use them during regular archery season.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Kidoggy , you crack me up!
I want to party with you!
lol don't party anymore . should have seen me in the days I was unrestrained by booze.:cool:
was merely using humor to point out that it is easy to dis the hunting techniques of others when it does not affect one personally.

there is room for all weapons. I don't really care if I lose a bit of opportunity in rifle or blackpowder or archery if I gain opportunity in crossbow.

I don't own one but I would, if we had a crossbow season I wanted to hunt.
I have killed deer and elk with above three but have always wanted to try a crossbow also.

I do understand that it has probably become necessary to try separating the archery and crossbow seasons.

we did it bow hunters and balckpowder. those who choose those weapons are ok with it. why not do the same we did for them with the crossbowers?
or perhaps we should simply make one season period and let hunters pick their weapon.:rolleyes:

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I don't use one either, and have no problem with others using them.
I also don't shoot 1000 yards with my rifle. But if you can and that's
The way you want to hunt, dope it, dial it, shoot it.

But I do use turrets because I like POA and POI the same.
We should all have tolerance for how others enjoy their sport.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
What would make a kid not want to hunt with a rifle or bow and then see a crossbow and suddenly want to hunt?

QQ
Because good rifle elk tags take years to draw and otc elk tags are a circus shit show. Young boys and girls can't pull enough poundage to ethically kill an elk and are typically not proficient enough with a compound.

Road hunting and staying within a mile of the truck, stand hunting a crossbow may have the advantage, but stalking and going into the back country no way. Try carrying a crossbow for a extended period. You have a scope on top, a quiver full of arrows on the bottom, a limb that sticks out each side and if its cocked a string that goes down each side limiting the ways to carry it and its heavy plus you have to carry shooting sticks to stabilize a front heavy crossbow.
I bought a Ravin last year for my son to hunt WY elk last year and it was a pain in the a$$ to carry more than a half mile.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Because good rifle elk tags take years to draw and otc elk tags are a circus shit show. Young boys and girls can't pull enough poundage to ethically kill an elk and are typically not proficient enough with a compound.
Good archery elk tags take many years to draw as well?

I can remember in my youth, any elk was a trophy. As a 14 year old I shot a cow elk and it was a big deal to just about everyone I knew. I think it is up to the parents to keep things in perspective. I was extremely proud of that cow elk, and my first little buck antelope, and my first 2x1 mule deer... IMO kids don't need premium tags to get hooked. Kids just need parents who will take them and teach them to appreciate the hunt.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
elk are not the only game for them to hunt. can't speak to south dakota but IDAHO has some pretty good youth opportunities for elk and deer ,in rifle .

besides ,youngsters have their whole lives to kill something big. most are happy hunting rabbits or squirrels or pheasants and quail , if they can't get a deer or elk tag.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO

I can remember in my youth, any elk was a trophy. As a 14 year old I shot a cow elk and it was a big deal to just about everyone I knew. I think it is up to the parents to keep things in perspective. I was extremely proud of that cow elk, and my first little buck antelope, and my first 2x1 mule deer... IMO kids don't need premium tags to get hooked. Kids just need parents who will take them and teach them to appreciate the hunt.
These are my thoughts exactly Hilltop! It seems any more these days that people want everything handed to them immediately without working hard for it, it's the "everyone deserves a trophy" mentality. I remember the first little compound bow my dad bought me when I was a kid and I would practice with him until I was ready to hunt with a bigger bow. Some of my best memories as a kid! Until I was ready to hunt with a bow I hunted with a rifle. The whole youth thing does not fly because there are multiple opportunities for youths that I enjoy with my boys today!

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota

I didn't say my son wanted to shoot a big bull!!!! I got him a WY rifle cow elk tag and also got the archery permit with it to expand his opportunity as he goes to school and can only hunt weekends. The unit I picked was close to home and pretty much all public hunting but a small unit and the elk all but leave that unit when rifle season starts. We were into elk several times during archery season but never got a shot. it was either getting too dark to see thru the scope or they were bunched up and didn't have a clear shot. We did have an opportunity but by the time we got the shooting sticks up and the crossbow set on them and flipped the safety off they had spotted us and took off. During rifle season we didn't hear an elk, see an elk or even see tracks or fresh sign. We didn't get him an elk and I asked him if he wanted to try for a tag this year and he said not if he had to stick with rifle only.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
My son has shot several doe deer and antelope with a rifle in SD which is great to get kids started but I don't care how good of a parent you are kids will get bored of shooting does year after year after year with the only thing to show for it is pictures and by shooting a buck, even a fork horn will get them hooked for life after one animal.
Sorry to disappoint you Hilltop but rifle cow elk tags are not easy to get every year especially if your trying to stay close to home and a non resident.

Last edited: