WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
WY is taking a hard look at technology advances in hunting. Saw this in the Casper newspaper. Looks like crossbows and smart guns are the hot topic.

I have no problem with people using crossbows in archery season as long as there actually disabled. The new crossbows are very accurate and easy to learn to shoot. I just don't think they should be applying for hard coveted archery tags like moose, sheep, etc in the western states.

WY has allowed them forever and I've only seen a few people with them while out hunting.

http://trib.com/lifestyles/recreation/wyoming-to-look-at-changing-rules-in-hunting-technology-including/article_c086d16c-82c6-5e0a-9229-641874d7f3b2.html

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I got zero issues with someone using a crossbow.
I have friends that can shoot well over a 100 yards accurately with a compound bow, so what if a crossbow can do about the same. A new compound looks nothing, like a bow from 30 years ago, and I think any relatively new compound bow could be brought into the conversation of being pretty technologically advanced also.
Personally the people I see using, and hear of using a crossbow are older individuals that have upper body issues (generally shoulders), youth, and petite women that are incapable of drawing effective poundage. So if a crossbow gives an older individual, a lady, or a kid the chance to bow hunt, but a few able bodied individuals are also going to partake, have at it!

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
The difference is I can sight in a new crossbow at 100 yards, then hand it to my wife,young son, or grandma, and they can kill something with their first shot at a distance that I couldn't possibly hope to kill with my compound. And I'm a pretty fair archer who has been bowhunting for well over 25 years. Crossbows do not belong in the archery season

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I agree 100% with Go_Deep. No problems with crossbows here. I've never heard of a smart gun. What is it?

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Today, I sent the following email to the Game and Fish Commissioners. I will be mad as hell if they substantially restrict crossbows or trail cameras.

According to a recent article in the Casper Star Tribune, the Commission will consider changes to technology rules at the January meeting in Douglas (although I don't see the item on your agenda as posted on the Game and Fish website).

Apparently there is some consideration being given to greatly restricting crossbows and trail cameras. I encourage you NOT to open this can of worms.

As someone who has lived/hunted in Wyoming for more than 30 years, I have found technology to enhance ethical hunting in a number of ways:

I use trail cameras when bear hunting. The cameras help me to identify in advance which bears are using my baits. Undoubtedly they reduce accidental sow with cub mortality.

Crossbows increase accuracy and thereby reduce wounding mortality. From an ethical point of view, a stronger case could be made for prohibiting longbows because they are notoriously inaccurate.

Crossbows also allow older people (such as me) to continue hunting later into life. Tradition bows and compound bows are harder for older people to pull back and hold steady. Why implement new rules that would take more people out of the sport when participation rates are already dropping?

Finally, many people in Wyoming already own expensive crossbows and trail cameras. To prohibit their use at this point would result in a lot of worthless equipment and a lot of angry sportsmen.

Please vote no on sending this out for public comment. Very few changes are needed in the area of crossbows and trail cameras.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
The difference is I can sight in a new crossbow at 100 yards, then hand it to my wife,young son, or grandma, and they can kill something with their first shot at a distance that I couldn't possibly hope to kill with my compound. And I'm a pretty fair archer who has been bowhunting for well over 25 years. Crossbows do not belong in the archery season
Same could be said about rifles. You still got to actually make the shot.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I 100% would like to see crossbows made illegal during archery only season by those who are not disabled or need assistance. I shoot my bow every day during spring/summer at least, and I still would never think of attempting an ethical shot at 100 yards, let alone even at 70 unless under perfect conditions, which rarely exist in high country hunting. Crossbows take the actual work of bow hunting out of it entirely. If that is how someone wants to hunt, then they can use their crossbow in rifle season, or put in the work that MOST bow hunters do! I hunted a 200+ non-typical buck this fall during my archery hunt in the high country. That experience was ruined by a group of Utards who not only were using crossbows, but also had spotters sitting on the mountain with radios being led into every stalk. They screwed up my hard work and would not have been up there until rifle season if it wasnt for crossbows being legal. They were fully capable of using an actual bow, but instead they packed in with horses and extra guys to try and kill big bucks with crossbows, which I was happy to see them unsuccessful doing, but in such so was I. Bow hunting is challenging for a reason for both elk and deer, and those who choose to do it put in a lot of effort being prepared. To go sight in a crossbow like a rifle, and use it during archery, is not archery hunting and therefore should not be allowed during archery only seasons unless used by someone who cannot use a normal bow.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Idk. I have no issues with crossbows as method of take.

(As as aside, in my experience they're way more finicky in the breeze that most realize. The bolts seem just to be more sensitive to wind. It takes some time and practice to reliably learn to make adjustments for wind. Just seen too many good ol' boys go out with some new super fast x-bow, with limited range time, and in a light breeze shot are missing or wounding. 'Perfect practice makes perfect')

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I'm not 100% against crossbows, but you have a definite advantage using one over the compound or traditional bow. You load your bolt and walk around looking for your animal. With regular archery equipment you have to draw which causes movement and may get you busted. Also you have to hold the bow at full draw, not so with a crossbow. If you want to use a crossbow and it's legal that's fine with me. I just hate when they categorized a crossbow person as a Bowhunter.

I've hunted in WY 35 plus years and I can count on one had the number of crossbow hunters I've seen.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I 100% would like to see crossbows made illegal during archery only season by those who are not disabled or need assistance. I shoot my bow every day during spring/summer at least, and I still would never think of attempting an ethical shot at 100 yards, let alone even at 70 unless under perfect conditions, which rarely exist in high country hunting. Crossbows take the actual work of bow hunting out of it entirely. If that is how someone wants to hunt, then they can use their crossbow in rifle season, or put in the work that MOST bow hunters do! I hunted a 200+ non-typical buck this fall during my archery hunt in the high country. That experience was ruined by a group of Utards who not only were using crossbows, but also had spotters sitting on the mountain with radios being led into every stalk. They screwed up my hard work and would not have been up there until rifle season if it wasnt for crossbows being legal. They were fully capable of using an actual bow, but instead they packed in with horses and extra guys to try and kill big bucks with crossbows, which I was happy to see them unsuccessful doing, but in such so was I. Bow hunting is challenging for a reason for both elk and deer, and those who choose to do it put in a lot of effort being prepared. To go sight in a crossbow like a rifle, and use it during archery, is not archery hunting and therefore should not be allowed during archery only seasons unless used by someone who cannot use a normal bow.
I totally disagree! There are many people who can't shoot a compound or traditional bow accurately. They may be women, young people, older people, etc. They may not be "disabled" in the traditional sense, but they struggle with drawing a bow. My wife is a good example.

I have hunted for years with a compound, but now that I'm approaching 70 I'm starting to struggle. So I've switched to a crossbow. Would you have me give up elk archery hunting simply because you would like to change the rules? And no, it is not okay for me to hunt with a compound during rifle season. There are many more hunters in the field then, and the elk are much more wary. So forget that!

And the purpose of this proposed regulation change is "ethics", not what you think people should do. Is it more ethical to shoot a longbow which many people can't shoot accurately beyond 30 yards or so? I don't think so. An argument could be made that it is unethical to use a primitive weapon when something more accurate is available. I often cringe when I see someone hunting with a longbow. What's next...a special spear season for those who would like to pretend to be cavemen?

This a highly divisive issue, and the Game and Fish Commission would be wise not open this can of worms!

Last edited:

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
The states have been limiting hunting seasons based on weapon for years; archery, muzzle loader, and rifle. Personally, I don't consider cross bows as being archery equipment. I don't think you can use a crossbow in a 3D archery tournament. Some states limit sights on muzzle loaders, some don't. I think most that have posted against crossbows are just opposed to them being allowed during archery only seasons by people that are not disabled / physically limited.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
I totally disagree! There are many people who can't shoot a compound or traditional bow accurately. They may be women, young people, older people, etc. They may not be "disabled" in the traditional sense, but they struggle with drawing a bow. My wife is a good example.

I have hunted for years with a compound, but now that I'm approaching 70 I'm starting to struggle. So I've switched to a compound. Would you have me give up elk archery hunting simply because you would like to change the rules? And no, it is not okay for me to hunt with a compound during rifle season. There are many more hunters in the field then, and the elk are much more wary. So forget that!

And the purpose of this proposed regulation change is "ethics", not what you think people should do. Is it more ethical to shoot a longbow which many people can't shoot accurately beyond 30 yards or so? I don't think so. An argument could be made that it is unethical to use a primitive weapon when something more accurate is available. I often cringe when I see someone hunting with a longbow. What's next...a special spear season for those who would like to pretend to be cavemen?

This a highly divisive issue, and the Game and Fish Commission would be wise not open this can of worms!
Youve switched to a compound? or a crossbow? cause I hunt with a compound, and that is not what im talking about...And you should realize almost any other western state I can think of does NOT allow crossbows during archery only seasons, unless you have a reason to have one! which in your case and your wife's could probably be provided by a doctor therefore allowing you. But I have a serious issue with people in great health using them strictly because they want to harvest a large animal easier and not wait for rifle season. And ethically, i dont believe a crossbow is Archery. A crossbow, is loaded, cocked and shot, which is the exact same as a rifle. Therefore I will stand by my stance, that those who are physically able to use a compound or any other actual bow, be made to do so unless they have a reason that makes a crossbow necessary.
This is hardly a can of worms considering most other states have always made crossbows illegal in archery only seasons unless provided a reason that should make someone exempt.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Youve switched to a compound? or a crossbow? cause I hunt with a compound, and that is not what im talking about...And you should realize almost any other western state I can think of does NOT allow crossbows during archery only seasons, unless you have a reason to have one! which in your case and your wife's could probably be provided by a doctor therefore allowing you. But I have a serious issue with people in great health using them strictly because they want to harvest a large animal easier and not wait for rifle season. And ethically, i dont believe a crossbow is Archery. A crossbow, is loaded, cocked and shot, which is the exact same as a rifle. Therefore I will stand by my stance, that those who are physically able to use a compound or any other actual bow, be made to do so unless they have a reason that makes a crossbow necessary.
This is hardly a can of worms considering most other states have always made crossbows illegal in archery only seasons unless provided a reason that should make someone exempt.
Sorry...I meant to say, I've switched to a crossbow.

No, my wife would be insulted to go to a doctor to get permission to use a crossbow...and so would I. And more and more states are allowing crossbows. And yes it is a can of worms. You can tell from the reaction to this thread that there are diverse opinions here. Let's keep things the way they are regarding crossbows. I would be very unhappy to be told I have to quit archery hunting because someone wants to change the rules at this point in time.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Couple comments.

First off, it absolutely is a huge can of worms, it is divisive, and it is contentious.

There is nobody that is going to look me in the eye, that shoots a modern compound and take the high ground that their method is primitive, and what the intent of archery is, and the guy shooting a crossbow is any different.

Right now in Wyoming its perfectly legal to have a draw-lock on a compound, which would make the difference between a crossbow and a modern compound be, one is held vertically, one horizontally...only difference.

There was a time to get in front of archery technology, this is going to be a very tough time to do it. Crossbows have been legal here for a long time.

I just wonder how the guys that successfully pushed for archery seasons in the 50's and 60's felt as they had their vision of what archery should be was stripped from them? They hunted with recurves, longbows, and self bows...they have a legitimate reason to complain. They were pushed to the dirt as compounds became the new norm. Then it was releases, cams, carbon arrows, drop away rests, over-draws, stabilizers, fast flight strings...and on and on and on.

The people promoting the advancements in compounds didn't give a chit about what they did to the pioneers of the sport as their technology advanced unhindered....and still don't.

The advances weren't to make people more effective up to 30 yards, it was done to make people effective at 40-50-60-70+ yards. Hit google for "100 yard archery kills"....pages and pages of it.

That's where archery is at, that's the new normal...its blown so far past the original intent of the sport, its hardly recognizable.

All that leads to...I just don't see how I can hold my Mathews in one hand, point at a guy with a crossbow with the other, and claim I have the moral or ethical high ground. That my weapon is "primitive" and his isn't.

I cant do that...and I don't see how anyone can.

I think the best thing to do is leave it alone...and I wont be touching this issue with a 10 foot pole.

Last edited:

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Crossbows, 300 yard muzzleloaders, 1000 yard rifles. Meh.

I think they all suck. Glad someone else has to deal with making the rules.

Can't believe it's even an issue in regards to crossbows. Who ever thought that was a good idea?

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Division among the ranks huh? Either we as hunters hand together, or we'll hang separately. I don't see crossbows as an unfair advantage compared to today's compounds. I think Buzz nailed it.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I agree 100% with Go_Deep. No problems with crossbows here. I've never heard of a smart gun. What is it?
it's one of them guns that walk it's owner into a crime situation.the most intelligent of them seems to be the assault weapons.