WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
You're killing me, lol, and funny! So, if crossbows have been legal for the past 4 decades, or so, I can't believe the elk herds have survived, especially since your opinion is that the harvest increase will somehow cause a decline in elk population due to that small increase in archery harvest. Eventually, you'll understand that the elk herds across the state are generally at or above herd objectives. And, this is even with crossbows being legal for the last few decades. Man, I can't believe they have survived this atrocity! And, to think they have done this for a couple decades now, while crossbows have been legal. The bottom line is the small potential % increase due to crossbows that may, or may not, be there; is still pennies on the dollar when it comes to elk herd management.

P.S. I'm glad that you see me as Jimmy Cricket. :p
I think you're missing Zim's point, or at least what I think his point is. Crossbows are just now in the last couple years gaining popularity exponentially. If that does lead to increased success rates, fewer tags can be issued in the future=less opportunity.

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I think you're missing Zim's point, or at least what I think his point is. Crossbows are just now in the last couple years gaining popularity exponentially. If that does lead to increased success rates, fewer tags can be issued in the future=less opportunity.
And my point that there is no data to support his speculation concerning WY elk popluations, especially trying to use an example of Illinois as a surrogate. As I stated previously with WY elk herds at, or above object, maybe the WG&F would see that as a positive, if it indeed happened. Who's to say?

I would hedge that the technology advancements in the last decade regarding the use of long range rifles, scopes with ballistic turrets, bullet design and construction, etc. would likely have more of a profound effect on harvest success than the use of a crossbow. I know for myself I'm much more comfortable shooting at 600 yards today, than I was even 5 short years ago simply because I've made a point to practice those shots.

The same can likely be said that the proficiency of compound bow hunters increasing their maximum range from 30-40 yards, say 20 years ago, to 50-60 yards today. Muzzleloader hunters shooting 200-300 yards today versus 100 yards in years past.

Shouldn't those same technology advancements be viewed equally, if it does in fact come down the successful harvest % within a given season? The point being if the WG&F Dept wanted to truly reanalyze their regulations with considerable advances in technology, then it needs to be done with all weapons, not only crossbows.

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
Crossbows are gaining popularity exponentially in last couple years? You can show me where this is true for Wyoming I take it or it's just your opinion? Please do not cite an article from another state, because after four decades of being legal in Wyoming, why would crossbow popularity increase at all?

The truth is with all the advances in technology for compounds and crossbows, there has been no increase in the % of harvest on mule deer and only a slight increase in elk in the last ten years. There currently exists no management priority pertaining to harvest to even consider a license or season change in archery season. Therefore changing legal weapons is entirely unnecessary. All this conjecture that crossbows are going to raise harvest rates is unfounded. Until there is evidence to show archers are effecting harvest in a negative way, things need to be left alone.

The point has already been made that long range rifles can effect harvest numbers must more drastically than any other weapon. In general, rifle seasons are shorter than archery seasons. Also, the length of season for rifle hunts is a common change by wildlife managers due to population objectives. However, in the forty years of my Wyoming experience there has always been a 30 day archery season. Even areas with 7 day rifle deer seasons have a 30 day archery season. All this doom and gloom on crossbows is totally unfounded and just uninformed opinion.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Technological advancements are quickly making crossbows far more efficient than common archery equipment. Same is happening with muzzleloaders. If state managers don't address it their "primitive" seasons won't be very primitive.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
Curious what people would think of a true primitive season, like stick/string, flintlocks, and recurve crossbows? I know some states already do this. Someone is going to lose if you carve that out though. Only a finite number of days in a fall...

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
In all of my years of archery hunting in Wyoming I have seen only two or three other hunters using crossbows! I really don't think archery is being overrun with them.
I never said we're being overrun with maniacs toting crossbows, simply generalizing, based on what I'm seeing on tv and in my home state. Nationwide, popularity of crossbows is gaining, and its just a matter of time before you DO see an increase in Wyoming. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's no harm in having state wildlife managers being proactive. Collect the proper data, then decide what is best. Again, I don't really care what your state decides, as long as it done logically.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Factually, everything graybird said is correct and easily proven. Not sure what your hangup is on a Wyoming issue that doesn't effect you Zim.
To discount the trend of crossguns & their lobbyist coin sweeping across the Midwest, thinking Wyoming is immune from it, is grossly shortsighted at best. Surely you?ve seen some of the Ravin ads by now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jsonline.com/amp/1016497001