WY Taking a Look at Technlogy Concerning Hunting

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Like I said I have my reasons.

The reality is, I have seen a lot and I mean a LOT of people (who were perfectly capable of drawing a bow) cheat the system simply by getting a doctors note/signature long before crossbows were even Legalized in my home state.

Most wont accept or understand my reasoning's. But I assure you they are based on facts and I didnt come up with my personal opinions out of thin air.

Calling my views pathetic..well thats ok. Actually, go ahead and call me whatever you want because I really dont care.

If you have seen what I have seen in regards to crossbows during the archery seasons you would possibly understand.

Bottom line is that I will NEVER accept crossbows being used during an archery season by anybody for any purpose or reason. EVER.
I understand your reasoning ,even if I don't necessarily agree with it.

I cannot condone punishing all for the crimes of a few.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
My thought.
First figure out how many animals can be removed from the surplus population after bow and rifle season. Set season
below this figure.
Second , figure success rates for muzzleloaders/crossbows of whatever flavor has consensus. Obviously the more
In line with original intent, the more opportunities can be afforded.
Third do the math , figure how many tags to sell to achieve #1
Increased opportunities for all.

Edited to add, season after bow and rifle.

Last edited:

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
What you witnessed with the crossbow explosion is identical to my experience.
My acceptance of them, (and I am truly disable and could had gotten a permit but didn't)
is diametrically different than yours.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Here is a link to states that allow crossbows:

https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/united-states-crossbow-regulations/

In my opinion, they should all allow crossbows to help recruit additional hunters into the sport.

As I said in an earlier post, this is a HIGHLY divisive issue and the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission would be wise to leave it alone.

Many of the comments here have been based on personal opinion centering around creating fair competition with other hunters and hunting opportunity. But that is not my understanding of the purpose of the proposed regulations. They are supposed to focus on ethics. To me that primarily means clean humane kills. Crossbows can enhance clean kills and so therefore they are more ethical than more primitive weapons.

Again leave the rules as they are!

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Talked a guy I've known this Fall about how his season went.

He is in pretty good shape, works a physical job, but has a handicap permit for crossbow. Shot a really nice 4X4 mule deer with it while hunting with his rifle on a whitetail tag. Walked back to the car and got the crossbow. Think he said 110 yards. Totally the same thing as archery hunting.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Talked a guy I've known this Fall about how his season went.

He is in pretty good shape, works a physical job, but has a handicap permit for crossbow. Shot a really nice 4X4 mule deer with it while hunting with his rifle on a whitetail tag. Walked back to the car and got the crossbow. Think he said 110 yards. Totally the same thing as archery hunting.
Pages of videos on you tube of compound bow shots over 100 yards, heck just seen of a 105 yards shot on a turkey!

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
yep! disagreement and debate is productive. but we must remember, fellow hunters are not the enemy.
the antis are and they love to see us divided.
I agree and I usually don't comment too strongly either way but what mallardsx2 said is just wrong! People that can't see that need to look deep inside themselves. It is wrong to not help those with a disability continue something that they love. Debating whether they should be allowed during archery seasons by able-bodied people is one thing but saying that someone can no longer do what they love because of an accident or injury is just selfish at best.

If people are abusing the system, then more stringent guidelines need to be set forth.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Like I said I have my reasons.

The reality is, I have seen a lot and I mean a LOT of people (who were perfectly capable of drawing a bow) cheat the system simply by getting a doctors note/signature long before crossbows were even Legalized in my home state.

Most wont accept or understand my reasoning's. But I assure you they are based on facts and I didnt come up with my personal opinions out of thin air.

Calling my views pathetic..well thats ok. Actually, go ahead and call me whatever you want because I really dont care.

If you have seen what I have seen in regards to crossbows during the archery seasons you would possibly understand.

Bottom line is that I will NEVER accept crossbows being used during an archery season by anybody for any purpose or reason. EVER.
Crossbows were legalized 7-8 years ago here. Even scopes up to 4x are legal the last 3 years. I honestly can say I've seen 0 difference. I know a ton of whitetail hunters and I know 2 people who have killed a deer with a crossbow. They have killed 1 each and then the "new and shiny" wore off and I'm sure they are collecting dust now in the closet or basement. A guy just down the road runs a deer processor and he says fewer than 10 deer a year are brought in that were killed by crossbows. He does 7-800 deer per year. Maybe it's different there but I doubt it's the "sky is falling" scenario you are describing. They are very popular with our alligator hunters though.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Pages of videos on you tube of compound bow shots over 100 yards, heck just seen of a 105 yards shot on a turkey!
Not many that I see. There are a few, and plenty of targets under ideal conditions, but to say that a 125# crossbow with a trigger and scope are the same thing as a handheld 60# compound bow with a release are the same thing is disingenuous at best.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
There's a reason rifles aren't allowed 365 days/year to manage wildlife populations. It all comes down to management of a resource. The more you exploit it, especially during the vulnerable rut seasons, the lower the quality will go. It's just that simple. That's why state wildlife managers originally set archery seasons earlier and longer than other weapons. To provide the most opportunity for the longest time. Then came politicians and special interest groups jingling coin. I have nothing against crossguns, but their use should be managed by wildlife professionals, like all the weapon seasons. Not force fed to the public by corrupt politicians. Meshing crossguns into longer, rut archery seasons will definitely impact wildlife, so it should be managed by wildlife professionals. Period.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
It is wrong to not help those with a disability continue something that they love. Debating whether they should be allowed during archery seasons by able-bodied people is one thing but saying that someone can no longer do what they love because of an accident or injury is just selfish at best.
For the most part, I have been accepting of crossbow use by people with disabilities, but expecting special consideration is selfish in itself. I suffered a catastrophic injury to my lower legs that limits my mobility, but I dont expect any special treatment. I continue to work, hunt, and fish to the best of my abilities. I will probably never goat hunt now, that's just a limitation I have to accept. We live in a 'me first' society, and to deny the advantages of a crossbow over a compound is ridiculous.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
There's a reason rifles aren't allowed 365 days/year to manage wildlife populations. It all comes down to management of a resource. The more you exploit it, especially during the vulnerable rut seasons, the lower the quality will go. It's just that simple. That's why state wildlife managers originally set archery seasons earlier and longer than other weapons. To provide the most opportunity for the longest time. Then came politicians and special interest groups jingling coin. I have nothing against crossguns, but their use should be managed by wildlife professionals, like all the weapon seasons. Not force fed to the public by corrupt politicians. Meshing crossguns into longer, rut archery seasons will definitely impact wildlife, so it should be managed by wildlife professionals. Period.
Your comment makes sense to me. Where I hunt elk, there are so many elk that G&F has offered additional reduced price cow elk tags. In other words, they are trying to increase the harvest. Under the ruse of being unethical, some on this forum would have G&F restrict crossbows (and hunter opportunity) just because they don't like crossbows. That is wrong. This should be a game management decision and crossbows should be considered just another tool (and an ethical tool at that) toward meeting game management objectives.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
To play devils advocate. Would the people in favor of crossbows be supportive if it meant loss of their rifle elk tags?

The problem with this technology is there will have to be trade offs. We can't ever be allowed to become too proficient, because we will loose opportunity. And that was the intention of primitive weapons season.

Wildlife should be conserved science based, not emotionally.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
To play devils advocate. Would the people in favor of crossbows be supportive if it meant loss of their rifle elk tags?

The problem with this technology is there will have to be trade offs. We can't ever be allowed to become too proficient, because we will loose opportunity. And that was the intention of primitive weapons season.

Wildlife should be conserved science based, not emotionally.
Unfortunately, the masses generally just think about their own short term self gratification. Crossguns in the rut most definitely will affect the gun management policy in states with limited tags, and herd Quality in states without quotas. To think otherwise is delusional. It?s just a matter of how much.

Also unfortunately, in my state Illinois, Wildlife is managed by neither conserved science nor emotion. It?s strictly by whoever puts the most coin in legislator?s pockets. But that?s been the case to an extreme degree in the SE states for years. That?s why their hunters all come running to Illinois in November........This year, packing their crossguns. Our Quality is nowhere near where it was 30 years ago, but this latest exploitation of the rut will move us one step closer to their Quality level.

Last edited:

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
The Wyoming Game and Fish Commission just voted to seek public opinion on whether crossbows should be banned. They could have voted to ban them now, but decided to seek public input. Let the circus begin!

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Crossbows were legalized 7-8 years ago here. Even scopes up to 4x are legal the last 3 years. I honestly can say I've seen 0 difference. I know a ton of whitetail hunters and I know 2 people who have killed a deer with a crossbow. They have killed 1 each and then the "new and shiny" wore off and I'm sure they are collecting dust now in the closet or basement. A guy just down the road runs a deer processor and he says fewer than 10 deer a year are brought in that were killed by crossbows. He does 7-800 deer per year. Maybe it's different there but I doubt it's the "sky is falling" scenario you are describing. They are very popular with our alligator hunters though.
Please do us all a favor and stop drawing comparisons between the effects of crossguns in states where theres absolutely NOTHING to gain by using one........like your Alabama, or Mississippi, Louisiana, Georgia, Tennessee & Michigan. Who would use one there when the gun seasons are so long and peak rut??? Nobody! Your deer herds suck thats why all your hunters are in Illinois every year. The impact in Quality managed states with short, post rut gun seasons is totally different. This will quantify it for you!.......

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2018/01/13/hunters-using-crossbows-killed-more-deer-wisconsin-than-crossbow-deer-kill-surpasses-vertical-bow-ki/1016497001/

Last edited:

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
We're talking Wyoming specifically. Until they assemble some meaningful data for that state and discuss it, there won't be any decisions made and rightfully so. Crossbows have been legal for years in Wyoming; what's the harvest rate done since their legalization? What's the harvest rate vs compounds in Wyoming? What's the wounding loss vs compounds? What's the wounding loss of recurves vs compounds in Wyoming?

Evidently in 2018 everybody with a compound is "good out to 60" so what does it matter if somebody has a crossbow. After watching hushin and born/raised fling arrows on YouTube, crossbows might be the best thing for archery.

Jul 6, 2013
South Dakota
Twice I have typed a well thought out response and both times the forum timed out on me and I lost it all, so I will do a short reply. My dad is 83 years old and still rents a horse to go hunting in the backcountry with me. Without a crossbow he would've had to quit hunting 20 years ago and I probably would have not got into elk hunting. I have started to lower my poundage the last couple years so I will not be able to pull enough pounds in 5-10 years but I will not be handicapped. My young son is not able to pull enough poundage for elk and not being efficient enough with a traditional bow. He gets straight A's in school to be able to go elk hunting. To those that think no using crossbows for anybody? Well I can't say what I'm thinking without getting banned. Rifle hunting takes years to get a good tag and the over counter tags are a F'N circus, not for me.