Wolf News Thread!

Livesilly

Feb 22, 2011
Currently Alaska
All, I think this could be a great place for us all to come together to discuss our wolf issue, organize actions we can take, and keep tabs on any breaking news. This has to be a top action priority for us all if we stand a chance at reversing the wrong that has been done thus far. Standing behind and propping up our legislators when requested. Let’s get the letters, emails and phone calls going....let do something, anything.....let’s just not keep quiet and do nothing!

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
We just had two more pregnant cows killed last week in the Joseph area! It's going to get worse before it gets better. The Washington cattleman's association has filed suit against the US Fish and Wildlife alleging they violated the Endangered Species Act.
"Source:Wallowa County Chieftan"

Livesilly

Feb 22, 2011
Currently Alaska
There was wolf delisting language tacked onto a federal budget bill by congressman Mike Simpson. It would strip Endangered Species Act protection from wolves.

HuntinMontucky

Feb 21, 2011
Great thread to be had! Things are loking up for Montana hunters this year, our Governor has instructed all state wildlife officers NOT to investigate or assist in any investigation involving wolves in an effort to put more heat on the USFWS. We are hurting here in NW MT and need action fast!

COhunter

Feb 24, 2011
eastern co
i live in CO and although we dont have very many wolves here yet we dont wont to get them started....lets do what we can to stop these crazy ppl who think wolves are good for us!!! im in so if anyone needs help doing anything to spred the word just let me know.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
There needs to be a bounty on wolves. Dr Smith of Yellowstone was responsibile for the wolf reintroductionin in Yellowstone and probaby did not understand the damage he was doing. Wolves cost millions of dollars to manage. The grizzly bear is just as bad.

HuntinMontucky

Feb 21, 2011
xtreme, I agree about the bears! We have more than we know what to do with up here in NW MT, it seems every year they become a bigger problem and every year the FWP and USFWS just sweep the issue under the rug! I do think we will see Griz hunting up here before to long, I think that once the Wolf problem is taken care of the Griz will be the next hot topic, unfortunately for us, but fortunate for other, the Griz are fairly isolated in there habitat range at the moment so there will not be as many pissed off people to raise the awareness level. Im glad to see so many people who are not directly affected by the wolves are speaking up.
this past bow season my wife and I were set up on a game trail the elk were using to come back to their bedding area after watering at night. The wolves had this figured out as well but it seemed that so long as the elk stayed close to the base of the ridge and didn't venture into the timber they were fine, (I hunted this small group for 9 days straight) one morning they spotted us coming off the ridge and went into the timber, within 5 minutes the air was filled with the sounds of them blood thirsty bastards. The cows continued using this trail so we set up on the opposite side of it (in the timber) hoping that if they winded us they'd run uphill. The wind was swirling that morning and the elk never showed, we remained patient, after several hours of sitting in the rain we cooked up our Mountain Houses and started to pack up, then we heard the wolves, far off at first then stopping bout 100yards off in the timber, you could tell they had something down as they were going crazy fighting among one another, we snuck out the back door and when I returned to that area later in the season we stumbled upon 2 seperate half eaten cow elk, and never saw a live elk in the area again. It was pretty sad!

I sit on the Colorado Citizen's Wildlife Advisory Council, and this topic is one that we'll be bringing up soon. In Colorado, there's been a general reluctance to "publicly" bring up the topic of wolves for fear of triggering an emotional "animal rights vs. anti-wolf" fiasco. While we don't "officially" have wolves, we all know its only a matter of time.

Question for those living with wolves right now:

Do you have any links, articles, information from CREDIBLE AGENCY SOURCES that can BE VERIFIED about what the impacts have been over the years to elk, deer, and moose populations/calving rates/etc.? I stress the credible sources and verified because there is SO much emotion to this, unless a "statistic" is SOLIDLY grounded, it can be used AGAINST you more than it'll work FOR you. For our future discussions in Colorado, I'd like to have as much rock solid info as I can get to help the dialog. I have some info/stats, but figured I'd reach out to the hunting community as well.

Thanks!

Chris Roe
Roe Hunting Resources

Livesilly

Feb 22, 2011
Currently Alaska
I thought I would strike the A#1 nerve with this thread! Togather as a hunting community is the only way something is going to get done.......and we MUST see it through to the end....for our kids!

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
Chris, There are a number of wildlife people over here that would have some good information for you, If I can get a name and number I'll send them to you.

prairieghost

Feb 22, 2011
In my opinion all you need to look at is the late season hunt for elk in Gardiner. They used to issue over 1000 tags between cow and bull. Now the hunt no longer exists. I believe that you can get the drawing statistics from past years on the montana fwp website.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I thought I would strike the A#1 nerve with this thread! Togather as a hunting community is the only way something is going to get done.......and we MUST see it through to the end....for our kids!
Yup..... What he said.......

jhpam3117

Mar 8, 2011
In transition
Great thread to be had! Things are loking up for Montana hunters this year, our Governor has instructed all state wildlife officers NOT to investigate or assist in any investigation involving wolves in an effort to put more heat on the USFWS. We are hurting here in NW MT and need action fast!
Lets hope that WY will follow Montana's lead on this one...or do something at least.

Sharpstick

Mar 1, 2011
Kamas, Utah
Here in Utah, we are just starting to see some evidence of wolves. Yes, we need to get a handle on them before we're all in the same boat with wolves effecting the game populations and killing domestic livestock.

It is a shame that our ranchers here in montana and elsewhere are having there lively hood destroyed and no one will listen to them. They hardly make any money as it is and the cattle are being destroyed by the wolves. I am hearing more and more reports in central montana that the wolves are moving out there already. My uncle has 1000 acres in central montana and he had elk on his place all year. You dont see elk in his area let alone in numbers(20+ most evenings all year) only one reason I can think of. Wolves. I think something does need to be done and fast.

Elkcrazedfrk

Feb 21, 2011
Its great to see that Montana Gov. Swietzer showed his kahonies and told the Feds to go pound sand. Unfortunately, Wyoming Gov. Mead has said he is going to be more passive and see how the feds wanna handle the situation...Hellooo, Dumb @%$^$!...I think its safe to say that e have all seen how the feds are handling it.....GRRRRRRR.

T43

Do you have any links, articles, information from CREDIBLE AGENCY SOURCES that can BE VERIFIED about what the impacts have been over the years to elk, deer, and moose populations/calving rates/etc.? I stress the credible sources and verified because there is SO much emotion to this, unless a "statistic" is SOLIDLY grounded, it can be used AGAINST you more than it'll work FOR you. For our future discussions in Colorado, I'd like to have as much rock solid info as I can get to help the dialog. I have some info/stats, but figured I'd reach out to the hunting community as well.

Thanks!

Chris Roe
Roe Hunting Resources
I would start by looking at the Idaho 10J file for the Lolo area.

BADbuckfever

Mar 10, 2011
Orange, CA
www.infowars.com
They are spreading fast throughout the west and I'm sure they will head east too in time. This issue isnt about re-establishing endangered populations its about CONTROL. The "Sierra Club" types are at war with hunters and any way they can get a foothold in State's game management by introducing wolves or limiting access to public land etc... they will do it.

Here in California we will receive (maybe already) the wolves by way of Oregon who is already spotting wolves frequently. So we too will have to deal with these top predators. This is very scary for California hunters because we are already forbidden to kill Mtn Lions by law due to the ignorant emotional responses of liberal voters that rule this state. So ANOTHER predator added to the mix is very disturbing to say the least.

We have a saying here in California about the "three esses" SSS - Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!