What have you done today to prepare for this fall?

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I have seen this type of thread on other forums I frequent, and thought it would be interesting to try here. 12 weeks until Wyoming deer season opens for us, you archery guys have even less.

Better get busy. ;)

I ordered BLM maps for my area, and called the forest service to get a MVUM sent. On Sunday my wife set up the new tent we bought off Craigslist last week, and tonight I will take it down just to set it back up. Alaskan Guide 4-man with a 7X10 vestibule. Pretty happy with this find.

Anyone else busy getting ready?

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
got my backpack ready to roll this morning, I'm going to go up next week to clear out shooting lanes near some of my fav spots early next week!!!

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
I am currently developing hunt plans on Google Earth and Garmin Basecamp with land status overlay for 6 different hunts (NV deer, WY elk, CO deer, and elk, antelope and deer hunt in Oregon). That includes determining the roads we will use, likely pockets to check out, glassing spots, water sources, promising camp spots, etc.

I am ordering items early which will likely be on backorder when season rolls around.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I took a 6 mile hike with 3000' elevation gain with a 40lb pack.

I'm more out of shape than I thought. But when your age is over 60 you have a pretty good excuse.

Now to wait until next week to do it a couple times again.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
ordering some new maps, studying the ones I have. been hiking every weekend and a few evenings too with my pack

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Ordered Topozone map for my antelope unit just now.

Some stuff to add to this thread-hunter safety cards. Mine from back east is so old and worn its falling apart. Now is the time to call someone to get replacements. Not September a week before you hop on I-90.

In my case, I have to send Maryland a letter for a replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I will only be hunting antelope this fall here in Colorado, so my preparation is different than a normal year. Ordered a new set of aluminum folding steps for my cargo/hunting trailer. Have a short list of things to do to it before October. The reason I will only be doing one hunt is impending shoulder replacement surgery in late October, second one on the other shoulder in late January. This stuff should actually be for getting ready for the 2017 hunting season....LOL!

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Google earth and topo map study this morning and now I'm loading my gear for a scouting mission/morel picking. Also bought a new tripod for the spotting scope and some more maps.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
no real hunts planned for this fall, and nothing! but I need to start focusing on my health and getting in shape if not for in general for next years hunts!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Being that this is my first fall in basically a Decade where I'll be focusing my time on my own hunts...starting in about 2 weeks I'll be living in the wyoming high country whenever I can be. .biggest goal will be chasing a big high country muley! I know where to go to have a good chance of at least locating a 200+buck, but killing is a whole other story, but I can't wait to get up high and start finding them. Elk and my pronghorn hunt will be focused after chasing a buck of my dreams hopefully

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
Got up early and lifted weights with my sons football team. it was leg day. Came home, worked. Got 2 packages today, a Kelty 20 degree down sleeping bag weighing in at 2.2 pounds - very nice. Another package came and it was from Wilderness Athlete - Hydrate and Recover Drink mix, Ultimate Pre-workout (natural) and Night Time Optimizer. I have been using their stuff for 2 years now and really like it for strength and endurance training and hydration recovery. Then tonight I did the dishes after dinner, (happy wife, happy life), I shot my bow from 100 to 70 yards out working on the little things in technique that must be done at long ranges. I then called a guy to line up some mules to pack me and some buddies into the hills in September. Now I'm here checking in on the forum.

Tomorrow will be weights in the A.m. then work and my new boots (Danners, Pronghorn) coming in the mail and then packing for a scouting trip this weekend. Shooting bow again in the evening - every day if possible. Here is one of my better 3 shot groups from 100 yards.

100 yard group.jpg

Theist

Feb 26, 2014
Utah
Rode my Mtn bike 2200 vert of climbing and kept my hr above 160 for 1hr 30 min. I'm feeling it tonight. My bro trains for Leadville in Colorado. 100 miles with 10000 very of climbing at 10000ft. So I have to kill myself to keep up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
The UPS guy is a close friend now! Shoot my bow 2-3 times a day. Been driving up in the mountains checking things out but the biggest thing I've done is packing up and moving to Idaho since last season!

kiwi

May 22, 2015
New Zealand
Yes, I'm getting ready for my WY archery elk and mule deer hunts in early Sept. I did a 1 hr hill run today and tomorrow planning to try for a red deer stag tomorrow to keep my eye in. May be try for a sambar deer on Sunday if the weather improves.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Exercise is the most important thing I have been doing the last 2 years since I retired. I'm working out 3 times a week now and feel better than I have in a very long time. I have everything I need for hunting so I don't buy stuff every time I go hunting. I'm also not one of those people who must have every new gadget that come out or upgrade my bow just because I've had it for years.
I have to stay in shape for when I draw my mtn goat or desert bighorn tag, at 54 those are my bucket list tags.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
July 1 Start the two a day PT program and shoot 50 arrows a day. Got a new Four Dog stove so I need to burn it in. Lastly I need to treat the wall tent so will probably set it up, put the stove in it......burn out the stove with a beer and a shot of Pendleton Whiskey......mainly to keep the neighbors thinking I'm a absolute Looney tune. Gonna head up to our camping spot and cut/stash some wood.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Lots of good ideas in here!

My wife and I did a slow 3 miles tonight, and then dry fired our rifle off shooting sticks at a target representative of 300 yards. Heart beating sure moves stuff around.