What have you done today to prepare for this fall?

hoshour

Veteran member
I started working with a trainer to get back in shape after I sat out doing nothing for six months while I waited for and then recovered from knee surgery. Really upset with myself for putting on weight. At 61, it takes a lot of work to lose it.

Losing about a pound a week for 8 weeks now and working out building muscle from legs to shoulders. Doing an elevated treadmill and/or elliptical almost every day and as my legs are getting stronger my knee is not quite as sore. I'll also start hiking in the NC mountains with a backpack most Saturdays from now until I head out West.

Meanwhile, doing GE scouting and talking to a lot of locals and CO FWP people.

xtreme

Very Active Member
Feb 25, 2011
Searcy, Arkansas 72143
Put in the miles scouting. Shooting more, used the range finder on the bulls. Found the bull I want. Looked at 12 bulls, now to plan the logistics. Going back next month in search of ten bulls I believe I missed on my last trip. They will be found by the La. hunters but I want to see them anyway since they are only four miles from my house. Four bulls are closer than that, but all are in hard to hunt places. Planning is at least half the fun. I will take better camera on this next trip. Good luck to everyone

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Been hiking with boots and pack. Been scouring hunt planner and ordered more maps. Talking to biologists and conservation officers about areas of hope. Thinking about it daily. Shooting bow occasionally, but should be shooting more. Gonna make some upgrades to bow possibly. Just pulled out some leftover mountain house meals to remind myself which ones I prefer. I've got the itch that's for sure.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Shot the bow the last two days. Time to make it a daily part of my routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Finally found some aluminum steps for my hunting trailer. Got them installed yesterday. They fold up and are stored inside. Sure better than the heavy wooden set I made to start with. Next is a new ceiling vent.

trailer steps 001.jpgtrailer steps 002.jpg

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
Working like a mad dog to keep the funds rolling in to pay for everything.
Working out daily for the pack in. Need a couple items yet, but no worries.
I've got a couple deer tags to fill and then all in for duck season.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Shot the bow this morning, working out this evening.

I feel really good about the shape that I am in heading into this season.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Poured stage 2 of 3 for my wives cement patio that she wants. So I got exercise rolling 3.5 yards of cement in wheelbarrows from the driveway around my house to the backyard, more exercise shoveling and raking it around, made her happy so she can't say I don't do anything for her come hunting season, plus I got my first tag from this years drawing in the mail today.
Still got another 3 yards to wheelbarrow, then wait 30 days to stain.

Last edited:

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
image.jpgBlind retrieves land and water.
Took the fur child for his walk.
Now he is belly deep in grass and sun....

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have walked just about every hill there is to walk in West Virginia Surveying..

I would say at a minimum that I am in shape and my hunt is paid for.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
I scouted my limited entry honey hole only to find a big kitty cat stalking a doe last weekend. Last time I was in there I saw 27 bucks, this last weekend only three! We did have 50-60 mph winds above 9500'.

We hiked 3500+ feet up from the trailheads put on almost 10 miles. Scouted a new area that has lots of deer and some good bucks. Fishing was excellent caught a bunch and loaded our mtn houses up with delicious brookies.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Same thing as every year. Adjust all my hunt lottery selections based on which states I expect are planning to screw us nonresident point holders by devaluing the points they sold us during the last 20 years.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Wife and I hiked four miles of state park trails this morning with weighted packs. Good times.

Ate lunch on the way home and then took our rifles to the range for two cold bore shots apiece at 200 yards.

Sure am glad I started prepping for this fall last October. 8 weeks until we leave.