The 2019 Mule Deer Success Thread!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I dont think i said anything about hiking 10 miles in the mountains, this area of Region Y is more rolling wooded hills with mixed coulees, not many places you can get up high and glass for hours. You would be staring at the same meadow and that doesnt take hours to cover. Everyone is so quick to scrutinize when you dont really have a clue what the situation is. I guess that is the way of the world nowadays.
My response was to kiddoggy. I wasn't scrutinizing you and I actually said 10 miles per day in flatter desert country seems reasonable.

Reactions: mustang8

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
that's why they call it hunting instead of killing.
I have two questions...…..
why do folks walk 10 miles a day hunting , instead of getting up high and letting the eyes do the walking?????

when folks claim they walk 10 miles a day how many do you folks think they really hike ??? my guess is two or three.
this is totally terrain driven. where I live, trees to the top, you can't see, you have to walk and glass. not everywhere is the wide open in the west.

Reactions: Timr245

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
Congrats to all that harvested deer.

Spent 5 days hunting on a private property we had access to and some adjacent public land and saw lots and lots of Does and only a handful of Bucks- One real nice one glassed on an adjacent property up high and no access to that property and my partner missed a decent one cleanly at 199 yards on the last morning of his 1st hunt out West. Wish he would have harvested it for his 1st Mule deer. Maybe next time- had a great time as usual, and saw several nice speed goats- we could have filled our tags if we had one with some nice Bucks.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
It's been a weird second season for us. My family has 4 buck tags, extended family makes a total of 9 buck tags. We all drew 2nd season although half of us were second choice.
Anyway we've seen dozens of does but only 3 bucks. Far more does than in past years with many double fawns.
So far we've killed 2 forkies for meat, that's it. Having a great time with my kids though.
Son killed his after work last night at 378 yards.

Attachments

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I already posted the story and pictures "Mountain Mule Deer 2019" but I figured I'd put a couple in this thread as well. I got this dark antlered buck on a solo backpacking trip in the Kootenay Rockies of Southern British Columbia.View attachment 28653View attachment 28654
It was a perfect day to be up in the high country.
That buck has some cool dark horns! My widest buck was killed pretty close to a recent burn and has dark antlers, but not quite like that. Congrats on the buck!

Ike

Eastmans' Staff
Staff member
Feb 21, 2011
I'll just throw this one back in on this thread since this is the mule deer success thread, I have already posted it in my own thread.

It is hard to get a true trophy picture with someone in it when you are by yourself.
Congrats....look at those back forks!!!!!

Reactions: MuleyHunter

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I didn't even think of getting a side view of his antlers or of one holing his head up once I got back to camp. We did have a few other hunters spot the antlers from the road 50 yards away and come into our camp to check him out. I'm going through the town where the antlers are at now waiting for them to be mounted and will stop in and get a few more pictures of them around Turkey day.

One interesting thing on this buck is that I noticed 3 or 4 other hunters that were hunting the area where I got him real hard and started thinking that they were after him. Utah has a dedicated hunter program where you can hunt all 3 seasons if you are in the program and they may of seen him during the archery hunt and then carried over chasing him into the muzzle loader hunt.

Reactions: MuleyHunter

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Not to Hijack the thread but I had my OnX tracker on while I was in Colorado this year and it said I had walked 97 miles in 6 days of hunting. I only looked through my Bino's 5 times while I was hunting. Too thick to effectivley use them 99% of the time.

Everyones areas are different from state to state and from Unit to Unit.
Exactly