Wyoming wolves finally!!

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Ah! gotcha. Didn't catch the currently part. I just didn't want anyone to misunderstand it as they can shoot wolves anytime in that area. As i suspect the majority of hunters will be there during the management zone times and not the predator zone times. But you are right, Hell we could load up a bunch of us now and go whack a few before them pups are born! I will hopefully be over there myself this summer scouting but on the Eastern side of the Wyoming Range, all predator zone there. Would love to get a crack at one! I usually don't bring a rifle scouting but you know if i left it at home sure as hell i would see a pack of 5 and not have a gun. So guess i will pack the extra rifle with. Never know! Sorry for any confusion mntnguide!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Ah! gotcha. Didn't catch the currently part. I just didn't want anyone to misunderstand it as they can shoot wolves anytime in that area. As i suspect the majority of hunters will be there during the management zone times and not the predator zone times. But you are right, Hell we could load up a bunch of us now and go whack a few before them pups are born! I will hopefully be over there myself this summer scouting but on the Eastern side of the Wyoming Range, all predator zone there. Would love to get a crack at one! I usually don't bring a rifle scouting but you know if i left it at home sure as hell i would see a pack of 5 and not have a gun. So guess i will pack the extra rifle with. Never know! Sorry for any confusion mntnguide!
No worries man! just wanted to clarify, but i completely understood what you were saying and you are 100% right. We dont need anyone screwing up and shooting wolves illegally and risk losing our seasons again. We dont need to give the Anti's any fuel for the fire! Ill be pretty tempted to pack a rifle during scouting even though i dont want to haha. But if i see a wolf and dont have one, ill sure be kickin my own ass!

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Yep! That's how i feel too. Maybe the one and only chance to get one and i would hate to not have a gun! I had a ultra-lightweight 7mm-08 built a few years back. Gun with scope and sling weigh 6.5 pounds! I think a handload of 120gr. Ballistic tips about 2900-3000 Ft. Sec. would be killer wolf medicine! Will have to throw a load together this spring! So just for conversation sake. Is everyone packing the whole wolf out of the back country fleas and all, or just pictures and skin it out and just pack hide and skull?

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I've only been in on packing out AK wolves, but I would definitely skin them out and take the hide and skull. We leave the feet and skull attached. Just separate at the joint and finish the tedious part back at camp. It has served us well on wolf and wolverine in AK

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Sounds a little weird but wolf meat is considered a delicacy to some. Some interesting results come up if you google it. I think if I shot one I would have to give it a try.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I think a handload of 120gr. Ballistic tips about 2900-3000 Ft. Sec. would be killer wolf medicine! Will have to throw a load together this spring!
Don't know how it would work on a wolf...but I hear good things about it on elk....

My nephew shot his first elk with a mild (2825 fps) load of H380 and a 120 BT last year with his 7-08, one shot, broke the on shoulder, caught the bullet under the hide just behind the opposite shoulder...

Recovered bullet.

Shoots decent on paper...

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Sounds a little weird but wolf meat is considered a delicacy to some. Some interesting results come up if you google it. I think if I shot one I would have to give it a try.
The ones that I've skinned sure didn't smell like anything I needed to eat. You'll have to let us know how they taste when you get one!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The ones that I've skinned sure didn't smell like anything I needed to eat. You'll have to let us know how they taste when you get one!
Not likely to happen but who knows. I wouldn't be filling up my frame pack but think I would take a small cut of meat just to try. I've tried a lot of odd meats so I figure may as well.