WYOMING 90/10 UPDATE | The best blog you'll read all year! - by Guy Eastman

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yes, the f
I think overall there isnt going to be much change and it will take at least 5 years to see what is trending. Its such a large data set to analyze. With out time it seems like alot of educated guessing it will go one way or another.

Thats not a negative take either way.

I think the biggest area of change with be the general tags. I feel like my situation will become more common.

Do I keep going general every 5 to 7 years or do I go as much as possible in a 3 pt or less elk hunt.
Me wanting to shoot a Wyoming monster is driving this. Am I happy with a solid mature animal or am I chasing the 340 inch 6 x 6.
I think based upon what I have seen Wyoming genetics are solidly better than my White River Herd.

What to do. What to do.
yes, the fall out on these things takes several years to see unfortunately. The other factor is things like late season hunts being added that pull application numbers different directions for a year or two.

Reactions: Slugz

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Slugz; I don't know where you will find that 3 pt. WY elk tag anymore. Looking at the 2022 stats, it took 4 pts. for a NR GEN tag, with only a minimally small chance with less than 4 pts. I have used my WY pts. when ever I had enough to draw, but after this year will have to wait 5 more for the next round, and that is if there is no creep. A multi-state approach will at least up the odds, as well as the expense, I've only done WY and CO, but that has kept me in the game for the last 17 years.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Slugz; I don't know where you will find that 3 pt. WY elk tag anymore. Looking at the 2022 stats, it took 4 pts. for a NR GEN tag, with only a minimally small chance with less than 4 pts. I have used my WY pts. when ever I had enough to draw, but after this year will have to wait 5 more for the next round, and that is if there is no creep. A multi-state approach will at least up the odds, as well as the expense, I've only done WY and CO, but that has kept me in the game for the last 17 years.
Colorado from a mule deer perspective is going to be very interesting over the next few years. A ton of people are burning tags with the new CWD over reaction season structure. Are we going to see the age class go down? Probably, but will we maybe see some weird trends in point structures in the next few years. I am betting so.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
The one that will be interesting is the price increase that we see happening for the special draw. I will be curious to see how many people that will effect and if odd will look different in the special draw in about 2 years.
The TRW committee bill didn't make it, died on a 10-20-1 vote yesterday.

WOGA is losing its grip on WY politics, that was major bill from them coming out of the task force.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Colorado from a mule deer perspective is going to be very interesting over the next few years. A ton of people are burning tags with the new CWD over reaction season structure. Are we going to see the age class go down? Probably, but will we maybe see some weird trends in point structures in the next few years. I am betting so.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Oops … I hit reply on the last one accidentally.

So far, Colorado has completed 3 years of the current 5 year plan and most CPW folks I speak with just aren’t seeing the “big kill-off” of older age bucks they were expecting. Next fall is year 4 of the plan and they are already beginning to work on the next 5-year plan. At this early stage they don’t know if they’ll reinstate the late seasons or not.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Oops … I hit reply on the last one accidentally.

So far, Colorado has completed 3 years of the current 5 year plan and most CPW folks I speak with just aren’t seeing the “big kill-off” of older age bucks they were expecting. Next fall is year 4 of the plan and they are already beginning to work on the next 5-year plan. At this early stage they don’t know if they’ll reinstate the late seasons or not.
Personally I hope they don’t! I think it is going to harm the age structure.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Literally every single mule deer hunter I know is seeing a big kill off of the older age class and younger age class in Colorado.

Every single one……

Only a idiot or someone w a agenda would see it differently..

CPW continues to be of sh@$z…

Like I have said I think it is unrealistic for future hunters to expect to hunt wyo more than once in a decade or less. Is what it is

I have a pile of points in wyo and even w the “kill off” in Co I still can’t find a mule deer hunt anywhere in wyo better than my back yard here in Co I can get a archery tag for every year..

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Literally every single mule deer hunter I know is seeing a big kill off of the older age class and younger age class in Colorado.

Every single one……

Only a idiot or someone w a agenda would see it differently..

CPW continues to be of sh@$z…

Like I have said I think it is unrealistic for future hunters to expect to hunt wyo more than once in a decade or less. Is what it is

I have a pile of points in wyo and even w the “kill off” in Co I still can’t find a mule deer hunt anywhere in wyo better than my back yard here in Co I can get a archery tag for every year..
I sure don't agree with your opinion for here in the sw part of Colo. I have seen more really good, mature bucks in our wintering area then I have in several years. My take is leave the season structure alone and adjust the unit tags issued when there is a mature buck population problem.
These observations and estimates should be from the professional biologists and wardens that are responsible for THAT area/unit.

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I would agree CC, CPW officials have a good feel for what's going on in their areas.
And as I mentioned before, those CPW professional biologists and wildlife officers are already beginning to work on the next five year plan.
There will be opportunities for public input as they work through their process.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm wondering if there are no random non-res tags issued for moose and sheep this year... if a ton of non-res will stop applying for those species, especially say if they have 10 or less points....??

and heck, looking at the points tables... it looks like a non-res should have about 23-24pts to draw a moose tag...

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'm wondering if there are no random non-res tags issued for moose and sheep this year... if a ton of non-res will stop applying for those species, especially say if they have 10 or less points....??

and heck, looking at the points tables... it looks like a non-res should have about 23-24pts to draw a moose tag...
You will be amazed at how many apply. Guaranteed

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
It would be interesting to know what all the tag application services are recommending their client to do on this? I think that a good amount of people use these services and really just lean on the service for all the information for the current applications.
i do agree next couple seasons will be interesting. the last few seasons have showed so much influx i hope some start losing interest in the tag rejection notices we all have learned to accept.....:rolleyes:

Reactions: HuskyMusky

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015

If they do, they're not using their common sense. With the squared bonus point system about to pass, I would keep my points going.

The way they'll distribute tags is take the total number of moose permits and then divide them 75-25 preference/random. They do this for the R/NR splits already. That way there will be some tags available in the random side of the draw.