WYOMING 90/10 UPDATE | The best blog you'll read all year! - by Guy Eastman

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
It’s quiet for now. Thanks!

i think its gonna stay in a flux for a while, slowly find the equilibrium we had prior to OnX, GoHunt, etc.

Reactions: lukew

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
People will loose interest when they have spent hundreds in points and still can’t draw a tag….

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
People will loose interest when they have spent hundreds in points and still can’t draw a tag….
it’s possible, also depends on where other opportunities play into prioritizing hunts.Add more states in the MW while point building, etc.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
There has been nothing but more and more interest in big-game hunting in Wyoming for the past 20+ years...and that isn't going to change.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I do think folks will change how they think of it.

I always thought of it as a couple trips more than an every year “right”.

its still gonna be a different game than the ladt 20 years. Other stuff is gonna have to change. Hunting in a sea of orange definitely takes away the outdoorsy feel.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The one that will be interesting is the price increase that we see happening for the special draw. I will be curious to see how many people that will effect and if odd will look different in the special draw in about 2 years.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
The one that will be interesting is the price increase that we see happening for the special draw. I will be curious to see how many people that will effect and if odd will look different in the special draw in about 2 years.
Maybe if the price increase happens draw odds will be better in the special, less people applying for special???? Idk
For a couple years anyway

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Maybe if the price increase happens draw odds will be better in the special, less people applying for special???? Idk
For a couple years anyway
That is the logic, we will see though. I am expecting better odds for a few years but who knows. 2020 changed things and we are still feeling the ripple effects.

Reactions: mnhoundman

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Wondering if a lot of folks are going to try and burn points in the special this year before it goes up. I’m considering it.
problem is that there wasn’t really an advantage to the special draw in a lot of units. Just looked at a a lot of green chip hunts in TagHub, special was just about statistically the v same.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
problem is that there wasn’t really an advantage to the special draw in a lot of units. Just looked at a a lot of green chip hunts in TagHub, special was just about statistically the v same.
Agreed, but the unit I am looking at does have a slight (1 point) advantage. And I am 1 point away from drawing in the regular draw. Will probably have my son draw the regular (he has plenty of points) and I will just get a cow tag. Lots to think about and running out of time.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Agreed, but the unit I am looking at does have a slight (1 point) advantage. And I am 1 point away from drawing in the regular draw. Will probably have my son draw the regular (he has plenty of points) and I will just get a cow tag. Lots to think about and running out of time.
The price increase will stink. With the number of people jumping down point wise to grab elk tags this year we might need two years to level out to what is normal. I have done probably 30 calls of guys with really high points ready to burn it down because of the uncertainty and get out while they can. My advice would be stay the course this year, there might be some correction depending on the number of NR's that jump out of the pool and the regular draw might have some interesting options next year.

Reactions: dan maule

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I thought the price increase was only on the special draw? If someone just applied normal, same cost, not doubled fee.

points are gonna be off the charts this year. Folks dont like change.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Agreed. And I’ve seen a couple where the Specialty Odds were actually a little worse.
I noticed that about 10 years ago. I was trying to draw a deer tag in a unit that was taking about 14/15 points to draw a buck deer tag in the regular draw. I watched it for a couple of years while being unsuccessful in the draw on the regular tag and the special was getting drawn with several points less. I decided to apply for the special draw tag. I did not draw that tag but I could have drawn the regular tag, it flipped back next year and I finally did draw the regular tag. It is now taking at least 15 points to be successful in either draw in that particular unit, so as I am 81 now, I'll probably never get to hunt it again as I now have 3 points for deer.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I am not sure, but I would bet a large number of NR hunters are just buying points and don't really keep up with what is going on. I know I was like that several years ago. I had a couple units I thought I wanted to hunt. When I started to study how the draw worked. I figured it would be 7 to 9 years to have a chance to draw a tag. I wanted to hunt and burned a few points on a below average unit. I am considering Just entering the random pool when my current points are used. You never draw a tag when just buying points. I am always shocked at how many people enter for tags in units in New Mexico that there are no NR tags allocated. You see that in Wyoming some as well.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The price increase will stink. With the number of people jumping down point wise to grab elk tags this year we might need two years to level out to what is normal. I have done probably 30 calls of guys with really high points ready to burn it down because of the uncertainty and get out while they can. My advice would be stay the course this year, there might be some correction depending on the number of NR's that jump out of the pool and the regular draw might have some interesting options next year.
That’s good advice! Patients is probably the best strategy.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I thought the price increase was only on the special draw? If someone just applied normal, same cost, not doubled fee.

points are gonna be off the charts this year. Folks dont like change.
only special may increase. Hicks still has to convince the legislature that his high prices are normal in the west, which is pure bs.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think overall there isnt going to be much change and it will take at least 5 years to see what is trending. Its such a large data set to analyze. With out time it seems like alot of educated guessing it will go one way or another.

Thats not a negative take either way.

I think the biggest area of change with be the general tags. I feel like my situation will become more common.

Do I keep going general every 5 to 7 years or do I go as much as possible in a 3 pt or less elk hunt.
Me wanting to shoot a Wyoming monster is driving this. Am I happy with a solid mature animal or am I chasing the 340 inch 6 x 6.
I think based upon what I have seen Wyoming genetics are solidly better than my White River Herd.

What to do. What to do.