Wolves

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
One of the stipulations on the reintroduction was no wolves east of the Contenatal Divide.

A couple others were no wolves on Tribal Lands, and a minimum of 50 miles from the state border. As if the wolves have maps and GPS's
So, it appears that the east slopers passed a ref. that only applied to west slopers. Perfect.

• Love
Reactions: kidoggy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
So, it appears that the east slopers passed a ref. that only applied to west slopers. Perfect.
I don't think the initiative that was passed actually spelled out the way Parks & Wildlife should stock the wolves, just that a plan must be in place and stocking begin by the end of 2023. The Wildlife Commission and P & W would formulate the plan.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The ballot question was just if they needed to reintroduce wolves.

The actual ballot text was:

Shall there be a change to the Colorado Revised Statutes concerning the restoration of gray wolves through their reintroduction on designated lands in Colorado located west of the continental divide, and, in connection therewith, requiring the Colorado parks and wildlife commission, after holding statewide hearings and using scientific data, to implement a plan to restore and manage gray wolves; prohibiting the commission from imposing any land, water, or re...
More

But CP&W came up with where and where not to place them in their management plan. But it was known that there would be no wolves on the eastern slope per the wording in the ballot text, just way too many people and the possibility of conflict.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Once it was passed that they would be brought back we always knew that they would come in. It was just a matter of time and when the CP&W started talking to the tribes the writing was on the wall.

I'm just glad that I am on the downside of my hunting life.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I doubt it will matter much longer anyhow. this nation is doomed!

"hell is empty and all the devils are here!"-W.S.

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Well this is an interesting development. We often see legal cases in species delisting or when a state updates hunting regulations on a previously protected species.

I wonder how long the court proceedings will go on for the Colorado wolf reintroduction.

Reactions: idcwby

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wish somebody would start a new initiative to reverse the one that barely passed. I would help gather signatures and donate money.
The only problem is that I think that it is too late for the 2024 ballot, so it would have to go onto the 2026 ballot.

Way too late to do much good. I'd just let the court case play out.

However something along the lines of banning the managing wildlife through the ballot box might be a good thing to look into.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The only problem is that I think that it is too late for the 2024 ballot, so it would have to go onto the 2026 ballot.

Way too late to do much good. I'd just let the court case play out.

However something along the lines of banning the managing wildlife through the ballot box might be a good thing to look into.
Michigan had a ballet initiative years ago to give the DNR control over bear hunting decisions to counter the tree huggers trying ban bear baiting and hunting with dogs. It passed and good thing it passed when it did because I don't think it would pass today with all the libtards.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
I’ve heard, but haven’t been able to confirm that the judge ruled against the cattlemen association.