Who else is...

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Currently in Ontario bear hunting. Last night was the first night and I was lucky enough to tag out on my first bear. Guide said it was a 2 to 2.5 year old from his guess

Reactions: boiler

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Currently in Ontario bear hunting. Last night was the first night and I was lucky enough to tag out on my first bear. Guide said it was a 2 to 2.5 year old from his guess
Good going Marcus. It should be some fine eating, but expect to have some baulking about doing so. I found that I could serve hamburger or swiss steak to those who said that they couldn't stand the taste of bear (without their ever actually eating any), and they never knew that what they were chomping on. The only part that I didn't utilize was the fat, and I now realize that was some of the best part of the bear. Render it, and it becomes some of the best cooking oil out there, especially for flaky pastries. I had been used to completely removing the nasty tasting fat from deer and elk, but bear is a completely different critter.

Reactions: marcusvdk

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
That for caribou? Or musk ox
We are going for caribou, but musk ox can be added if we chose to pay for it. We will be eating musk ox and caribou in camp, and I will try to collect some wool while we are there to have some socks made (or buy from a local source). We should see some ox, and that is good enough at this point in my life.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Good going Marcus. It should be some fine eating, but expect to have some baulking about doing so. I found that I could serve hamburger or swiss steak to those who said that they couldn't stand the taste of bear (without their ever actually eating any), and they never knew that what they were chomping on. The only part that I didn't utilize was the fat, and I now realize that was some of the best part of the bear. Render it, and it becomes some of the best cooking oil out there, especially for flaky pastries. I had been used to completely removing the nasty tasting fat from deer and elk, but bear is a completely different critter.
Dad got one Wednesday night and we rendered the fat down looks like good cooking oil. Wife already told me know way she will eat it lol

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
On the exercise front: I have been aggressively pack training for my upcoming caribou hunt, as we will have to pack a ways to camp carrying all of our gear, and then hunt on foot thru rough terrain and pack out all meat. But, I have some issues with the arthritis in my feet, and that has led to some compensation pain in my knee and hip. I've swapped out the foot-beds in my boots, and moderated the mileage, but will keep on trucking.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am headed out on Saturday AM, and eventually ending up in Greenland for my caribou hunt on Monday. I did have to back way off of my pack training because of the leg & foot issues, and that will certainly affect my daily hikes. But, slow and steady wins the race, and I will soon be in the "No whine zone". CARPE DIEM

Reactions: tim and marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I am headed out on Saturday AM, and eventually ending up in Greenland for my caribou hunt on Monday. I did have to back way off of my pack training because of the leg & foot issues, and that will certainly affect my daily hikes. But, slow and steady wins the race, and I will soon be in the "No whine zone". CARPE DIEM
Good luck and enjoy

Reactions: RICMIC

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I got back last night from the Greenland caribou hunt . I will do a full write up with some pics in a few days. On the fitness issue, I must say that this was one tough hunt..... we walked about 50 plus miles over four days of hunting, all on the most difficult terrain that I have even been in. My leg issues slowed me down a lot, and I was the last of four hunters to fill my tag. But, by the end of the hunt my legs were mostly back to normal. If we were at higher altitudes, I would definitely call this my most physically challenging hunt. I didn't lose any weight though because I pigged out on fresh caribou or musk ox like every dinner was my last meal.

Reactions: tim and marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I got back last night from the Greenland caribou hunt . I will do a full write up with some pics in a few days. On the fitness issue, I must say that this was one tough hunt..... we walked about 50 plus miles over four days of hunting, all on the most difficult terrain that I have even been in. My leg issues slowed me down a lot, and I was the last of four hunters to fill my tag. But, by the end of the hunt my legs were mostly back to normal. If we were at higher altitudes, I would definitely call this my most physically challenging hunt. I didn't lose any weight though because I pigged out on fresh caribou or musk ox like every dinner was my last meal.
Can't wait to read it and see pictures

Reactions: RICMIC

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I've been a wimp lately, haven't hit as many workouts as I need. Going to go freeze my butt off the next few weeks on late season deer hunts. That should shiver off some of calories LOL.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'm headed to the deer camp on Thursday, and due to the complete collapse of the NE MN deer herd over the last ten years, I do not even plan to get a deer license. On the exercise front, instead of sitting in a tree, I will do some grouse hunting. I will use the UTV on the trails that we have kept open, but expect to do a lot of hiking in the areas that we have not kept up the clearing. My leg neuropathy has dissipated some, and perhaps it was because of all the walking that I did during my Greenland Caribou hunt...so I will keep it up until I can't.