Who else is...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Starting the winter workout routine? Hunting season kills my workout schedule and today is my first day back at it. Chest and tris this morning, anybody else working out?

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Reactions: bowman340

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Got back to it last week; Still got a little hunting to do, but most opportunities are past.
Planning for next year starts already! :)

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Yup, I am in planning mode too. Still have a cow tag but waiting for snow on that one.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've still got a tag I'll do a little weekend hunting on and some predator hunting, by yes last night I started riding the elliptical for my winter routine. I am lucky I don't have to go crazy though my job is physical enough that I only have to fill in voids of in activity.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I am going to do a 15k this summer, maybe a half marathon. We will see, just have to sign on the dotted line.

chsdaddy

Feb 12, 2012
Los Alamos, NM
Anybody into triathlon?
I started road triathlons about 4 years ago and have recently graduated to off-road triathlons, XTERRA. They are awesome. I liked the road tris and still do a couple every year but the xterras are much more fun. The group is not as "type a" as the roadies and the training is more fun. I live in a great place to train which helps.

The thing I like about triathlon is the cross training aspect. I get most of my fitness off the bike since its a lot easier on my knees and only run as much as I have to, to remember how to do it. And the swimming really helps for recovery days, lung capacity and breathing.

On road sprint distance triathlons start typically with 400yd swims, 12 mile bikes, and 3 mile runs up to iron man distance. A typical xterra is a 1 mile open water swim, 15 mile mountain bike and 6 mile trail run. Don't let those distances fool you, the elevation gains are typically substantial. This year I qualified for the xterra national championship and the course was a 1 mile swim then an 18 mile mountain bike that had almost 3000 vertical feet of climbing and a 6 mile trail run where the first mile was straight up the ski hill at snow basin in Utah. I was no where near the front of the pack but for me it was a solid 4 hours of output (equivalent to a marathon) that had me training in the mountains and way easier on my knees than training for a marathon.

If anyone is interested in starting or training tips for a triathlon let me know. I am not an expert but have made a lot of mistakes that I can help others avoid. And you get to buy new toys, I saw some folks on here hunting from the Mtn bike, I might have to give that a try.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
Lift 2-3 times a week at the gym every week, except when hunting or out of town, gonna make it 3 starting here soon. Then a I do cardio 5 days a week, usually about 35 minutes. Try to get a hour to hour and half of total exercise when I lift and do cardio in the same day , and then other days hit the cardio as hard as possible for the other couple days

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Getting up in the morning again. Back and Biceps, what is everybody else doing today?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Will be starting back Jan 2nd!! Still deer season here through Jan 1st. That and work are keeping me on the go.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I've been back in the gym for two weeks and start my workout with 20+ min on the stair master and Monday & Thursday is chest and back, Tuesdays and Fridays are arms, and of course Wednesday is the best day of the week Legs!

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Day 2 complete. Tomorrow will be cardio, will see how jogging in early morning in below freezing temps goes...

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
I REALLY need to get something going! I've always been in pretty good shape and spend a fair amount of time in the mountains doing different activities to keep me lean. I turned 40 this year and am starting to feel it! Pants are getting tighter and everything is getting much softer than it used to be! I used to do P90X but I'm not sure that's the best for me anymore? Seems like that program is more for younger bodies and I'm afraid of pushing to hard and injuring myself. I love a program like that though. I'm not good at coming up with something on my own. Anyone know of a programmed workout not quite as intense as P90X that's more geared towards strengthening, cardio etc that would help with what we all love to do? Thanks...

mrcowboy

May 1, 2013
Northern NM
Yep. time to get back to work outs. Haven't done much since the wife and I hunted in October unless you count cutting and splitting firewood. I plan three days a week of cardio. Morning treadmill....ughhhhh before work. Two days of weights. I need to find a more structured weight work out rather than the "what I like to do". Anyone have good arms, shoulders, back work out? Wife wants to do Sunday longs in order to train for spring 10 miler or half marathon. Also plan on some winter fly fishing on the San Juan to keep my casting arm in shape;)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Ran 5 miles in 50 min last night; 3% incline & weighted. Only 10min/mi pace to get started. Next run (Thursday), going for 9min/mi.
I can't do anything simple.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I REALLY need to get something going! I've always been in pretty good shape and spend a fair amount of time in the mountains doing different activities to keep me lean. I turned 40 this year and am starting to feel it! Pants are getting tighter and everything is getting much softer than it used to be! I used to do P90X but I'm not sure that's the best for me anymore? Seems like that program is more for younger bodies and I'm afraid of pushing to hard and injuring myself. I love a program like that though. I'm not good at coming up with something on my own. Anyone know of a programmed workout not quite as intense as P90X that's more geared towards strengthening, cardio etc that would help with what we all love to do? Thanks...
I've been a fan of T25. It's a solid workout geared towards body weight resistance training and cardio.