What Do You Consider Long Range?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My first 3 bull elk were shot at 60 yards or less (after long, long stalks), but the next ones were 480 yards with my .338, and 128 yards with my muzzle-loader. I had told myself before these hunts that my max range to shoot an elk was 500 yards for the rifle and 150 yards for the muzzy. I shoot often and have a range on my property, and that is after a very strong foundation from the USMC. I hear from way too many people who don't shoot much that they can now be long range experts just because the rifle/scope/ap says they are.

Last edited:

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
While processing my bull this past weekend I found a bullet from a previous hunting season. It made me think of this thread. The bullet was in shoulder meat and had a hard cyst formed around it. Not sure how old but it was obviously in there a long time. The meat around the cyst looked great so I was actually surprised to find it. I haven't measured or weighed it yet. Guessing this was a very long shot that didn't penetrate the shoulder blade.
IMG_20201107_144937328.jpg

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I calculate every situation differently as there are so many variables. That said, I consider anything beyond 500 yards to be long range hunting. However, I practice out to 700 yards regularly hitting 1/2 MOA or better.
I was able to kill 2 antelope this year at 510 & 525 yards respectably. I was not able to get any closer without negative consequences.
I like the 'close-game' and I took my bow in hopes of doing just that. Unfortunately, the weather and 3 weeks of hunting pressure made bowhunting next to impossible.
I did take a 3rd antelope at 200 yards.

memtb

While processing my bull this past weekend I found a bullet from a previous hunting season. It made me think of this thread. The bullet was in shoulder meat and had a hard cyst formed around it. Not sure how old but it was obviously in there a long time. The meat around the cyst looked great so I was actually surprised to find it. I haven't measured or weighed it yet. Guessing this was a very long shot that didn't penetrate the shoulder blade.
View attachment 32804
Over the years, I have found 2 bullets in elk that failed to kill the animal. Both were of smaller caliber ( a .270 and a .224 or .243 as I didn’t examine closely) cup and core, both where expanded but failed to penetrate to vitals.

I will not consider a shot where velocities have dropped below 1800 fps, plus substantial retained energy sufficient for good penetration. Using appropriate elevations, temperatures, and barometric pressues for our hunting situations .....my wife’s cartridge is 1860 fps and 1730 ft/lbs energy @ 800 yards. My present load for my rifle gives 1795 fps and 1790 ft/lbs. energy @ 800 yards. I hope to soon develope a new load with a different bullet ( slightly heavier and better BC) for my rifle which should put me at or above ......1795 fps and 1865 ft./lbs. energy @ 800 yards. With the bullets we’re using we should get exit wounds on most elk even if shot through both shoulders @ 800 yards....Though our self-imposed range limit is 600 yards! memtb

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
For the average long range "novice", the remaining energy often isn't even considered or even understood. I have used a variety of calibers and rifles in killing 8 antelope, mainly because I wanted to use some of my safe queens that I had never hunted with. 30-06, 7mm-08, 243, and finally a .223. The .223 was a real shooter, but I limit my max range to 200 yards, and liked having the AR for any opportunities on coyotes. That never happened, and the antelope were more skiddish, and much more scarce that past trips. I ended up killing one at 460 yds. with the 30-06. I use the 06 for deer and cow elk and a 338 for bull elk, and 500 yards is my line in the sand, and even then only if the conditions allow it.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I shot a arrow into the air, it came to earth I know not where............

How many of you back when you were a kid did the above? Or saw how far you could shoot a arrow and still come close to your target?

A lot of people believe that the stalk is long gone anymore. They figure that they have a rifle that can hit a target at 800+ yards and that they don't have to get any closer.

My biggest problem with getting closer is that most of my hunting is out here in the west where a 200-300 yard cross canyon shot is normal. If you try and get closer you will never see your quarry again once you drop out of sight of it. Then there is the spotter that is signalling you that the animal is a short distance below you while you stand on a hill not being able to see 10 feet in any direction, yet the spotter can see the animal just fine. This has happened to me a few times, then the spotter ask why didn't you shoot the animal, he was right below you.

I also have had a problem where I have shot a deer and could see it laying right where it fell. I then would hike to it and look for it not to be able to find it thinking that I got up and ran off. I then hiked back to the spot that I shot it from and there he is, just laying right where he dropped. Hike back down there and look and he is nowhere around. I spent 4 hours one year doing this trying to find my animal.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

I also have had a problem where I have shot a deer and could see it laying right where it fell. I then would hike to it and look for it not to be able to find it thinking that I got up and ran off. I then hiked back to the spot that I shot it from and there he is, just laying right where he dropped. Hike back down there and look and he is nowhere around. I spent 4 hours one year doing this trying to find my animal.
Been there....done that!

Reactions: memtb

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I set my rifles up for this years deer hunt with fancy turrets and the ability to reach out there to 400-500 yards. We were consistent at those ranges, however both my wife and I stalked to under 100 yards before making our shots.

Reactions: RICMIC and memtb

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
Little more background I why I asked, technology has drastically changed in even the last 5 years. Apps with accurate data are now common place and I am curious if more people are extending how far they shoot based on the tools available. It isn't just an excel sheet taped to your stock anymore.
Scott, I would like to add to that the fact we have laser range finders. Knowing the exact range and the trajectory of the bullet has extended ranges. Personally, I think anything over 300 yards is getting in the long range slot. At what point do we quit calling it hunting and just call it shooting??

Reactions: Slugz

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota

How many of you back when you were a kid did the above? Or saw how far you could shoot a arrow and still come close to your target?

A lot of people believe that the stalk is long gone anymore. They figure that they have a rifle that can hit a target at 800+ yards and that they don't have to get any closer.

My biggest problem with getting closer is that most of my hunting is out here in the west where a 200-300 yard cross canyon shot is normal. If you try and get closer you will never see your quarry again once you drop out of sight of it. Then there is the spotter that is signalling you that the animal is a short distance below you while you stand on a hill not being able to see 10 feet in any direction, yet the spotter can see the animal just fine. This has happened to me a few times, then the spotter ask why didn't you shoot the animal, he was right below you.

Jim, a great aide for these situations is a digital camera with a decent zoom lens. I have used it more for stalking than for a recovery, but by taking a photo of the spot you want to make a move to, you can easily keep on track. I've also used the 30X optical zoom on a prospect, take a pic, then can digitally zoom that further a ways until it starts to degrade.

Reactions: JimP

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have only just started packing a camera with me in the last dozen or so years.

Before that they were too expensive to throw into a backpack and haul all over the mountain. But even then for most of my hunts I never used a backpack. I would throw a couple of sandwiches and apples into my shirt along with some candy bars in my pockets and I was off.

Reactions: kidoggy and RICMIC

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Anything you have to dial. I've shot multiple animals out beyond 500 and am very confident in my shooting ability and my equipment. Farthest animal I've taken was a bear at 720. Using a 33 nosler.

It's annoying when hunters criticize others because they don't have the same skill set or abilities.

Reactions: kidoggy

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012

Jim - The onX program or cell phones allows folks to "drop pins" and get GPS coordinates for them. If you were on a ridge and shot a deer on opposite ridge - you could drop a pin on it and then follow GPS to the deer. It is real handy and no, I haven't purchased the program but may do that for my next trip out west in a few years.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I love this topic so I have to add my 2 cents.... I have to go with 600 yards. This year I harvested my 13th animal over 500 yards and only 2 of them have been over 600. Obviously not due to opportunity but due to the conditions, wind being the biggest variable in my opinion. I shoot out to 1100 yards in the off season and feel very good out to 750 with some work to do at 900. 1100 is just fun at this point. I had a half dozen critters this year that were in that 650-750 range that the conditions just didn’t allow for a comfortable shot. Either due to the rest or wind. I almost pushed a shot at 735 on a big bull but ultimately came off the trigger. Long shot this year was 508. 9mph 60 degree angle wind. 43 degree shooting angle (though range finder did that work). One shot, dropped in its tracks. To me... it was a chip shot but a lot of work goes into that. Maybe it’s just my own anxiety but 600 is where things just have to be absolutely perfect. Just my opinion.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

I was once archery hunting with my brother for deer we were way up this hill seeing no animals so when heading down to truck. he shoots an arrow up in the air ,towards his truck. last I saw of it before I lost it . it was heading right to the truck.

I called him an idiot and said you may have hit your truck.

he just said , " there's no way it could have gone that far."

we walked to the truck looking for arrow as we went . when we got to the truck, I went around back to throw my pack in and there was the arrow stuck in the ground about ten feet behind his truck. he got pretty lucky that day. I almost wish we would have found it sticking through the hood of his truck. sure would have been an awesome lesson.

arrows can travel a lot further then most folks think they can.

Reactions: dan maule