What Do You Consider Long Range?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Because my October has been relatively slow thanks to a late season bull tag and my deer hitting the dirt mid September I have had lots of things that I have been thinking about. One of them being, at what distance does a shot become long range?

This is one of the most subjective questions you could ask, but one of my favorite pieces of this forum is finding out what all of you think on particular topis. So, what distance do you consider long range?

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I remember one writer stating....400yds is the new 300yds....

I think 400-600yds is a pretty long poke, past that is pretty long.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I don't get to shoot more than 300 yards here locally so.....
300-500 is long range.
500+ is ultra long range.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Long range, to me, is the range at which a shooter starts getting uncomfortable about the shot. He/she really has to focus to execute. For me, that starts at 500 yards. That is the reason I limit myself to 500 and closer in hunting situations.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This question has been asked many times over. The question is as loaded as whether a 6.5 sissy stick can kill an elk! ;)
Come on Scott! I know the forum has been slow, but wouldn't it just be better to simply give out some prizes or something. :p
Little more background I why I asked, technology has drastically changed in even the last 5 years. Apps with accurate data are now common place and I am curious if more people are extending how far they shoot based on the tools available. It isn't just an excel sheet taped to your stock anymore.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For my rifles I try and limit myself to 500 yards. Past that point and there are way too many other factors that you have to figure in. I have taken two shots at just under 800 yards but everything was perfect and there was no way to get any closer and still be able to see that bull. Both shots hit him right where I wanted them.

For my pistols, it will depend on what I am shooting. I have two barrels in my TC Contender that will shoot out to 500 yards and do it quite accurately but for hunting I'll keep the shots with them down to 150 yards and less. For my revolvers nothing more than 100 yards and I try to keep those under 50 yards.

Muzzle loaders, for my .54 TC Renegade 100 yards and less, for my TC Triumph 150 yards, and my CVA Accura 200 yards. But then the Accura carries a 3-9 scope, all the others are open sights.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Anything past 500 is too far to shoot at a big game animal for 90% of people in my opinion.

Unfortunately, Greed, idiots with TV shows, gun manufactures, YouTube hunting heroes, and the Internet in General have tarnished hunting by pushing the long rang game.

There are some people who prefer not to get closer because they want a challenge. Those people should have their licenses pulled indefinitely.

I bet you that 90% of hunters nationwide cant hit a pie plate at 300 yards in a legit hunting situation.....Don't believe me? Challenge your buddy to lean across a pack and take a crack. Bet you he misses 3 out of 5 shots.

3 out of 5 ain't good enough.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I bet you that 90% of hunters nationwide cant hit a pie plate at 300 yards in a legit hunting situation.....Don't believe me? Challenge your buddy to lean across a pack and take a crack. Bet you he misses 3 out of 5 shots.

3 out of 5 ain't good enough.
That same 90% can't tell the difference between 200 and 600 yards. Anytime I hear a story where they say that they put the cross hairs on the top of a elks back and hit him right in the boiler room at 600 yards I just laugh at them. They have no idea of how far a bullet drops at 600 yards.

Even those who shoot the all mighty 6.5 Creedmore.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
That same 90% can't tell the difference between 200 and 600 yards. Anytime I hear a story where they say that they put the cross hairs on the top of a elks back and hit him right in the boiler room at 600 yards I just laugh at them. They have no idea of how far a bullet drops at 600 yards.

Lol Jim, very true. When presented with the fact that their bullet drops almost 6' from their 200 yard zero at 600 yards they claim "not my rifle!".

I do think a lot more people are capable of making the 300-500+ yard shots these days with the advances in equipment. I'm guessing we will see restrictions in the coming years that limit more technology. Harvest rates are just going to go up if not.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I think we are already seeing adverse effects on the herds nationwide due to the technology we currently have.

Having said that, I honestly am happier to see guys being more successful using rangefinders and dials than before when they were guessing and wounding animals only to go after another and wound it and so on and so forth....

I shoot a pretty flat shooting rifle. BUT, sighted in at 100 yards if you misjudge the distance of an actual 500 yard shot thinking its was only 300 your POI is lower ~32". That spells trouble for whitetail sized game. Most guns the scenario is much much worse.

Hell, most guys dont even have access to a range where you can shoot over 100 yards to proof your hunting gun.

The point of hunting is to get as close as you possibly can. Most guys get caught up in the fact that they might go home empty handed and push their skill limit.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio

those same guys can’t tell the difference between 120 inch deer 180 inch deer either! I just shake my head.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I sight my rifles (all Wby magnums) in for a 300 yard zero. I know my trajectory out to 600 yards like most people. I try to limit myself to 450 yards simply because I don't get any practice in beyond that distance.

Reactions: jake

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Lol Jim, very true. When presented with the fact that their bullet drops almost 6' from their 200 yard zero at 600 yards they claim "not my rifle!".
My brother in law was like that. He wanted me to load up some hunting rounds for him so I told him that I would but that he needed to bring his rifle over and let me check the loads out in it. We went out to my range and got it sighted in at 200 yards with the new ammo. He then asked me why I was sighting it in at such a long range? I asked him what he though it was and he said 500-600 yards. I just laughed at him. I then put a long piece of cardboard up at 600 yards, with 2" painters tape making a + at every foot from the top to the bottom. He then took a shot at the top + and couldn't figure out how he missed it when he looked through my spotter. He took a few more shots and we then rode over to the target. There at about 4' lower than the top + were the bullet holes. They made a nice little 4" group where they hit.

The next week he went out and purchased a range finder and tapped the ballistics for that new load onto his stock.

Reactions: Gr8bawana

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My brother in law was like that. He wanted me to load up some hunting rounds for him so I told him that I would but that he needed to bring his rifle over and let me check the loads out in it. We went out to my range and got it sighted in at 200 yards with the new ammo. He then asked me why I was sighting it in at such a long range? I asked him what he though it was and he said 500-600 yards. I just laughed at him. I then put a long piece of cardboard up at 600 yards, with 2" painters tape making a + at every foot from the top to the bottom. He then took a shot at the top + and couldn't figure out how he missed it when he looked through my spotter. He took a few more shots and we then rode over to the target. There at about 4' lower than the top + were the bullet holes. They made a nice little 4" group where they hit.

The next week he went out and purchased a range finder and tapped the ballistics for that new load onto his stock.
At least it was a 4" group! lol

Precision was there, accuracy, not so much. Long rang shooting requires both for animals.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I think we are already seeing adverse effects on the herds nationwide due to the technology we currently have.

Having said that, I honestly am happier to see guys being more successful using rangefinders and dials than before when they were guessing and wounding animals only to go after another and wound it and so on and so forth....

I shoot a pretty flat shooting rifle. BUT, sighted in at 100 yards if you misjudge the distance of an actual 500 yard shot thinking its was only 300 your POI is lower ~12". That spells trouble for whitetail sized game. Most guns the scenario is much much worse.

Hell, most guys dont even have access to a range where you can shoot over 100 yards to proof your hunting gun.

The point of hunting is to get as close as you possibly can. Most guys get caught up in the fact that they might go home empty handed and push their skill limit.
12" drop from 300 to 500? What rifle are you shooting??

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
With the advancement in tec I think there has also been an increase in people now understanding ballistics and associated data.

For me anything over 500 is way long , even tho I have turrets and can dial , I try to stay with in the point blank range of my weapon when hunting.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
We shoot to 400, and unless it's wounded and can't get any closer I stay under that distance.
I prefer to be close enough that the animal could use one of its senses to identify me.