What Do You Consider Long Range?

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
The farthest recorded shot I’ve ever made in a game animal is 330. That being said for me anything over 300 is long range. I actually used a range finder because I thought it was a long ways away. If you have to adjust anything beyond zero it is long range.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I practice a lot out to 800 yards. I enjoy shooting that far and feel it makes me better at closer shots.

When I started bowhunting the old guy who owned the archery shop I went to told me to put a target on a round bale at 80 yards. Learning to be consistent at 80 would make 40 seem easy he told me. Errors in shooting form are magnified.

I don’t consider myself a real long range shooter, but if conditions and my rest are good enough I will shoot game to 600 yards. I don’t look for those shots but have made them when it was the only option. I have made far more shots at 300 to 400 yards. I am very comfortable there under most conditions if I can get a good rest. I run Huskemaw scopes I can dial elevation with consistently and Leica Geovid binos that give me a quick range. I have a little wind meter and ballistic app I will use on a longer shot if I have time. My turret labels have small MOA numbers on the bottom and a big yardage number above that. If there is time to run the app and dial in MOA for the exact conditions I will. If I get a shot that needs taken quick at 325 yards for example I can dial that fast.

I take way more game by being able to shoot quick and accurate than by being able to shoot long. Both are good skills to have though.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I practice a lot out to 800 yards. I enjoy shooting that far and feel it makes me better at closer shots.

When I started bowhunting the old guy who owned the archery shop I went to told me to put a target on a round bale at 80 yards. Learning to be consistent at 80 would make 40 seem easy he told me. Errors in shooting form are magnified.

I don’t consider myself a real long range shooter, but if conditions and my rest are good enough I will shoot game to 600 yards. I don’t look for those shots but have made them when it was the only option. I have made far more shots at 300 to 400 yards. I am very comfortable there under most conditions if I can get a good rest. I run Huskemaw scopes I can dial elevation with consistently and Leica Geovid binos that give me a quick range. I have a little wind meter and ballistic app I will use on a longer shot if I have time. My turret labels have small MOA numbers on the bottom and a big yardage number above that. If there is time to run the app and dial in MOA for the exact conditions I will. If I get a shot that needs taken quick at 325 yards for example I can dial that fast.

I take way more game by being able to shoot quick and accurate than by being able to shoot long. Both are good skills to have though.
This sounds like a lot of the people who I work/hunt and spend time with.

Reactions: mcseal2