Ways to Reduce Recoil?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A problem with adding recoil pads or wearing heavy clothing is that you are now changing the way that the rifle fits you and your style of shooting.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
A problem with adding recoil pads or wearing heavy clothing is that you are now changing the way that the rifle fits you and your style of shooting.
Good point. But I use a recoil pad at the range in the summer when I'm usually just wearing a t-shirt. The result is similar to when I'm hunting and wearing additional layers, like an extra shirt & hunting jacket. It seams to work out just fine.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
My experience has been exactly as Winchester describes. If I happen to be practicing when it is very cold out, my extra layers take the place of the recoil pad. It truly has made me a more accurate shot but I realize it may not be the best solution for everyone... Just offering an idea.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
No wrong answer but the simplest solution is the one that worked for me. Don't change anything on your rifle. Buy a past recoil pad for your range work and enjoy shooting. With good ear protection and a past pad you won't feel much. Here is the one I use- https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous $20 solution.
Wow! I tried one of these today and they work great.

My wife has had it for years and after reading this post decided to give it a try. My personal rifle is a Stevens 200 in .308. I put a Boyd's Prairie Hunter stock on it a few years ago. Not sure where they get that recoil pad, but it is the hardest rubber ever. More than a couple rounds is really painful. Night and day with that Past pad on. Fired six rounds tonight and couldn't even feel them. Really worth a try.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I always sight in using a Caldwell Lead Sled.

Then fine tune with sand bags.

I really don't like target shooting the big magnum calibers....never have. Its just too expensive to shoot them.

We normally practice with our Ruger 10/22's and then check the deer rifles before hunting season and if we bump them and feel it is necessary.

I checked a bunch of rifles a couple nights ago.

Rem 760 30-06
Ruger 77 .308
Browning Micro Midas 300 WSM
Savage .308
Browning A-bolt 300 WSM- Sighted this gun in in 2002 and have never touched the scope since.

By far the hardest recoiling gun was the ruger .308..its my wife's and its about 36" Long from the end of the butt pad to the tip of the barrel.... Its such a short little gun that it really slams ya.

The micro Midas doesn't recoil nearly as bad as I expected....Ya...I know... I was surprised also.

Im going to get me one of those recoil pads. Its certainly worth a try.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
A good stock that fits you well is #1
Past pad great advice
Switch to 7mm08 , 284 win
My 270 in a D'Arcy Echols legend stock kicks less than my wife's factory wood metal butt pre 64 mod 70 in 243

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
a 150gr bullet should kick less than a 180/220gr...

also with modern bullets, like the TSX etc.., if a 150 shoots groups well, then go for it.

they make mercury recoil reducers you can add in the stock etc... ie more weight, less recoil.

I'm not a big fan of brakes, so up to you.

if you need more weight, 1 idea is a bigger/heavier scope... ie, a 4-16x vs. a 2-7x

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
Just mentioned in the last post, but the easiest way to reduce recoil is use a lighter bullet. 150 grain, in some sort of "premium" bullet, is sll you need in the 30/06, even for elk. Browning A bolts are light, so my A bolt in 270 Win now has a Limbsaver recoil pad.

With a good recoil pad, and 150 grain bullets, you shouldn't need a muzzle brake or anything else for a 30/06.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
No wrong answer but the simplest solution is the one that worked for me. Don't change anything on your rifle. Buy a past recoil pad for your range work and enjoy shooting. With good ear protection and a past pad you won't feel much. Here is the one I use- https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous $20 solution.
My wife has one - she and her grown son use it.

I found my greatest problem was muzzleblast - I'm already deaf & wear 2 hearing aids BUT the gun blasts hurt. I can't go to a public range if the guys are using muzzlebreaks - hurts me even with muffs.

What we did was download some 150 and 165 loads so the MB wasn't as bad. I also changed the scope so it is easier to shoot as well. Shot a bit more than I had in the past and at longer ranges. Getting to the point where the flinch is about gone. Have had it for 40 years!

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
A suppressor would be nice but $200+ for the federal stamp then another $1000+ for the suppressor for a high power rifle and then you get to wait 6 months to over a year to pick it up at a dealer I would just go with a removable muzzle brake.

Not to mention that the ones that I have shot with the suppressor the recoil isn't reduced that much.
From what I've read, suppressors do not reduce recoil at all...that's what a muzzle brake is for.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I hate recoil and am a complete panzy when it comes to shooting pretty much any rifle on the range. Didn't want to get muzzle brake because already have Tinnitus from years in the duck blind. When I'm duck hunting I bring the Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs...but don't like wearing them when hunting big game.

My solution was to get a Caldwell Lead Sled for the range. It's fantastic! I can shoot my -06 and 7MAG all day and not feel a thing.

When I'm in the field I never feel the recoil any way...i'm either too excited because shot was on the mark, or pissed cause I missed : )

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I hate recoil and am a complete panzy when it comes to shooting pretty much any rifle on the range. Didn't want to get muzzle brake because already have Tinnitus from years in the duck blind. When I'm duck hunting I bring the Walkers Game Ear Power Muffs...but don't like wearing them when hunting big game.

My solution was to get a Caldwell Lead Sled for the range. It's fantastic! I can shoot my -06 and 7MAG all day and not feel a thing.

When I'm in the field I never feel the recoil any way...i'm either too excited because shot was on the mark, or pissed cause I missed : )
The problem with that idea is that it prevents you from practicing alternative shot positions.

Tough to shoot off a pack or sticks with a Lead Sled.