Ways to Reduce Recoil?

Dukslayer26

Jul 24, 2017
I'm looking for some different ways or things I can do to my rifle to help reduce recoil? I've seen those things Limbsaver makes that you put on your barrel. Not sure if they work. I'm shooting a Browning Abolt in 30-06 which doesn't kick that hard but still looking for ways to reduce recoil to help with further shots. Any help would be great!!! Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree the muzzle brake is your best way to go. However expect to loose your friends while you are at the range or out hunting with it on your rifle.

I have a removable one on my Weatherby MKV .340 Weatherby. With it off I can only manage around 10 shots before I really start to notice the recoil, but with it on I can shoot the rifle all day long.

The only other item that I have seen that reduces recoil effectivly is a mercury-filled product that you install into the stock of the rifle. I know of a number of BIG BORE rifle .400 caliber and up hunters that use this system and they seam to enjoy it

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/recoil-parts/recoil-reducers/rifle-system-sku352205000-25270-16393.aspx

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Make sure your rifle fits you. I can shoot my bdl 300 win mag all day but i got a adl 270 that kicks like a mule the way they fit me is the difference.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
The limb saver barrel deal is more for accuracy iirc. They do make good butt pads that help reduce felt recoil. There are also shirts with pads one can insert into the shoulder that can help. I use a pad at the range, don't need it for hunting, but it sure helps at the range.

Ridn9high

Mar 12, 2014
Suppressor! Reduce recoil and noise. Takes a little time to get the stamp, but worth it.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
I added a heavier laminate stock, a heavier scope, and a limbsaver recoil pad to my .06 and it made a world of difference. I really didn't set out to reduce recoil, just to make it look and perform better, but that was a nice side benefit. The rifle still weighs in at about 8.5 lbs, which I consider to be a reasonable hunting rifle weight.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I was going to mention replacing the stock (I'm assuming injection molded) with a laminate but LCH beat me to it. You could add a harris bi-pod that would add both functionality and weight as well. After that I would buy some of the reduced recoil loads that you can purchase. Personally, I would rather sell a rifle and buy something tamer like a 7mm-08 before I would break it. Not a fan of breaks.

I agree with the importance of hearing protection. A good recoil pad is important, and I also have a couple of slip-on Shooter's Friend pads that we add at the range. Rifle weight and fit are important, but not as simple to alter.

Nothing I have ever heard about a brake makes me think I need or want one.

The reduced-recoil ammo available that is available is obviously something you should consider, but why not load your own? I have a wife and three kids who shoot with me, and the number one thing I load is low-recoil loads with H4895 or Trail Boss. Just be aware that you will not save any money, because you will start shooting twice as much.

QQ

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A suppressor would be nice but $200+ for the federal stamp then another $1000+ for the suppressor for a high power rifle and then you get to wait 6 months to over a year to pick it up at a dealer I would just go with a removable muzzle brake.

Not to mention that the ones that I have shot with the suppressor the recoil isn't reduced that much.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm looking for some different ways or things I can do to my rifle to help reduce recoil? I've seen those things Limbsaver makes that you put on your barrel. Not sure if they work. I'm shooting a Browning Abolt in 30-06 which doesn't kick that hard but still looking for ways to reduce recoil to help with further shots. Any help would be great!!! Thanks
Duck,
What's the issue with the longer shots? Flinch?
Another option is practicing with a reduced load and only hunting with your most accurate /hunting load.

Maybe some trigger work maybe needed also to make it easier shooting.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Unless your rifle has some special meaning to you, I would sell it and buy something else. Depending on what you want to use it for, get a 308, 7mm-08, 260, or 6.5CM. Go handle as many rifles as you can. After a few, you will realize certain rifles fit you better and some make you feel like you have to adjust to them. The better the rifle fits you the less you will feel the recoil because you body will absorb it more naturally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I agree with the fore mentioned from Slugz, get into handloading and shoot reduced powder charges. It makes a world of difference with the ability to control what goes into your cases. Good luck.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Muzzle Brake.

I have a BOSS on my .300WSM A-Bolt. It recoils like a .243 but is about as loud as anything I have ever heard.... Makes a significant difference in accuracy and recoil for sure. I have NO CLUE why they did away with these...

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
No wrong answer but the simplest solution is the one that worked for me. Don't change anything on your rifle. Buy a past recoil pad for your range work and enjoy shooting. With good ear protection and a past pad you won't feel much. Here is the one I use- https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680235/past-field-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous $20 solution.
I have an old pre-64 model 70 Winchester 30-06 with a steel butt-plate. It kicks pretty good ... but I have a recoil pad like the one Hilltop recommends and it makes a BIG difference.