Opening The Can Of Worms...Coronavirus...

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Yes it is worth it. Or we could all just be like kidoggy and refuse to acknowledge anything is going on.
I acknowledge it is going on. I am just not really concerned about it. to be completely honest, I believe most of those who are dying are probably better off dead then living with the ailments that left them so vulnerable.

I have no issues with trying to slow it down,. I have been going out of my way to avoid people . hell I do that pretty much always anyhow. :D

what I am not doing ,is lying awake nights worrying about wether I get it or not . because frankly ,I don't really care either way.
I have had the sniffles many times and always managed to pull through

I don't expect it will be the death of me ,or even anyone I know. if it is , well..... that's life.

Reactions: marcusvdk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I agree with kid, I learned a very long time ago to worry about what I can change myself and then found out that there is usually no reason to worry, just deal with it.

One thing that I don't agree with is the people that are dying. While most from what I have heard have underlying health problems they deserve to live a life as active as they can.

I guess that we can be like the two blokes from Australia who tested positive for it and then left their hotel room where they were self quarantined and went skiing. There is no telling how many they either could of inflected or actually did.

I am just doing what the authorities are suggesting. I am retired so I can avoid a lot of people. Today I had to go to the post office and pick up a package. Once I was home I washed my hands before doing anything else. Tomorrow I have to go to the store and I'll follow the same procedure once I am home again.

The big thing is that there is no reason to panic and go out and purchase a truck load of TP and hand sanitizer. Just take care of yourself and listen to what the authorities are telling you to do.

By the way, I live in one of the highly affected counties here in Colorado.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I'm just going to hole up and ride it out. I'm to busy on the ranch now to go anywhere anyway with all the cows calving. As long as we can get fuel delivered we could go a couple months without needing to leave. We could skimp by for a while on what we have by being conservative, and with nobody going to town fuel will go further. I'd like to keep getting trucks in with feed so we don't use all the hay reserve we have been re-building after the drought, but with the silage and hay we have we could get by.

I'm hoping this doesn't last forever. We are still feeding most of last spring's calves and right now it looks like we are going to lose money on them no matter what we do. I hate seeing a year's worth of hard work lose money, but it's part of ranching. We might gamble on putting them in the feedlot and hope they are worth something this summer.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
If a person didn't care if they got it Think how much money one could make going out picking up supplies for others

Shame on the people how are buying a truck load of TP there are folks that have none some of my employees are down to there last roll and having to rashin it to there kids we went to the local Grangers they had the jumbo rolls like the ones in the airports we bought 2 boxes and handed then out to some in need

If you looking for eggs try a local egg ranch also local farmers , butcher that might have other items you can't find in the stores

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I'm just going to hole up and ride it out. I'm to busy on the ranch now to go anywhere anyway with all the cows calving. As long as we can get fuel delivered we could go a couple months without needing to leave. We could skimp by for a while on what we have by being conservative, and with nobody going to town fuel will go further. I'd like to keep getting trucks in with feed so we don't use all the hay reserve we have been re-building after the drought, but with the silage and hay we have we could get by.

I'm hoping this doesn't last forever. We are still feeding most of last spring's calves and right now it looks like we are going to lose money on them no matter what we do. I hate seeing a year's worth of hard work lose money, but it's part of ranching. We might gamble on putting them in the feedlot and hope they are worth something this summer.
I hate to hear about anyone losing money after working so hard all year. I've got calves that were born from Oct to Feb and I'm wondering if I should sell them now or not? Who knows what the market will do? I personally don't think this will be over for 6-12 months and that our economy will be in worse shape than 08-09 before it's over. I'm thinking of selling all of them over 350 lbs. and just getting what I can out of them. Prices are down at our local auction and have been for the last 6 weeks or so. Been a rough fall/winter here as far as feeding goes too so I feel your pain.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I sure as hell hope this settles down by June. Have to make my final payment on our fishing trip to Alaska then. Already paid for the airfare. We are scheduled for mid August. Have a June fishing trip to Blue Mesa here in Colorado in addition to a state cowboy action shooting match.
My son is killin the lake trout at Blue Mesa now..:)

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I agree with kid, I learned a very long time ago to worry about what I can change myself and then found out that there is usually no reason to worry, just deal with it.

One thing that I don't agree with is the people that are dying. While most from what I have heard have underlying health problems they deserve to live a life as active as they can.

I guess that we can be like the two blokes from Australia who tested positive for it and then left their hotel room where they were self quarantined and went skiing. There is no telling how many they either could of inflected or actually did.

I am just doing what the authorities are suggesting. I am retired so I can avoid a lot of people. Today I had to go to the post office and pick up a package. Once I was home I washed my hands before doing anything else. Tomorrow I have to go to the store and I'll follow the same procedure once I am home again.

The big thing is that there is no reason to panic and go out and purchase a truck load of TP and hand sanitizer. Just take care of yourself and listen to what the authorities are telling you to do.

By the way, I live in one of the highly affected counties here in Colorado.
that is the rational coarse of action. this to shall pass.

the only reason the economy "might " take a big hit is irrational fear.

like the water lily scenario which is only accurate if all get it and ALL die. NEITHER WILL BE THE CASE

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If a person didn't care if they got it Think how much money one could make going out picking up supplies for others

Shame on the people how are buying a truck load of TP there are folks that have none some of my employees are down to there last roll and having to rashin it to there kids we went to the local Grangers they had the jumbo rolls like the ones in the airports we bought 2 boxes and handed then out to some in need

If you looking for eggs try a local egg ranch also local farmers , butcher that might have other items you can't find in the stores
store eggs are less likely to have the 19 on em then "farm" eggs. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

I am also eating lots of garlic. won't stop the 19 but it sure ensures people will avoid close contact with you. :D

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
that is the rational coarse of action. this to shall pass.

the only reason the economy "might " take a big hit is irrational fear.

like the water lily scenario which is only accurate if all get it and ALL die. NEITHER WILL BE THE CASE
KIDD Everyone should know the waterlily example is only an easy to understand example of an exponential growth patters seems like nothing at first and then explodes. Its just math not magic. I am in no way suggesting you can predict how long to the peak or how high it is. Also the waterlily example only shows what happens if you do nothing. Not all people will get sick and only a small percentage will die. But the virus spreads like the water lily. It takes 29 days to get half way and only one day to finish the other. Don't read too much into it. stay safe

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
KIDD Everyone should know the waterlily example is only an easy to understand example of an exponential growth patters seems like nothing at first and then explodes. Its just math not magic. I am in no way suggesting you can predict how long to the peak or how high it is. Also the waterlily example only shows what happens if you do nothing. Not all people will get sick and only a small percentage will die. But the virus spreads like the water lily. It takes 29 days to get half way and only one day to finish the other. Don't read too much into it. stay safe
yeah , I know that . you know that. but we do NOT live in a society where "everyone " will know that.

I know your intention wasn't to spread panic but that is the type of thing that stampedes fools to the TP isle.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Well, I was cleaning throw-up from my 9 year old daughter yesterday. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't break out the rubber gutting gloves to clean the mess up and burned the trash...

One day, I pray she makes it to a trash can before she barfs all over the house.....just once...

How can a a man be elbows deep in a deers rib cage and not gag once....but when it comes to cleaning up barf, I gag like I'm choking on a basketball....lol

Reactions: JimP

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I acknowledge it is going on. I am just not really concerned about it. to be completely honest, I believe most of those who are dying are probably better off dead then living with the ailments that left them so vulnerable.
I'm guessing the folks that live with COPD, heart disease or other ailments that leave them at risk, would disagree with your sentiment here...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

Ranching is tough business no matter how you slice it. Even when you practice the most efficient ways of doing it.

Living in rural Wyoming we are separated for the most part a lot anyway. We just got the first case in our county yesterday though.

Reactions: mcseal2

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Well, I was cleaning throw-up from my 9 year old daughter yesterday. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't break out the rubber gutting gloves to clean the mess up and burned the trash...

One day, I pray she makes it to a trash can before she barfs all over the house.....just once...

How can a a man be elbows deep in a deers rib cage and not gag once....but when it comes to cleaning up barf, I gag like I'm choking on a basketball....lol
My wife and kids always laugh at me, I can gut deer, beer and skin all sorts of smelly critters but changing a diaper or cleaning up vomit sends me into a dry heaving frenzy. Glad it is not just me.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Just closed our schools here in Central Nebraska "indefinitely". They are going to attempt to do a remote learning program on Monday. In our rural area, that's going to be tough with limited internet for a lot of families. This is going to be pretty tough on a lot of kids/families who aren't set up to handle something like this.