Eastmans' "Big Man Challenge!"

npaden

May 2, 2014
Ran in a local running club race this morning. My goal is always to improve over the previous year and I ran 38 seconds faster this year than last year.

When I first started running I would improve several minutes each year but my gains are getting less and less now. Got up to 215 lbs this spring, working on getting back down closer to 200, weighed in at 207 today.

I run in the "Clydesdale" division so I can actually compete in my age group. I ended up 2nd today, some guy ran a 32 something around a 6:30 pace. He was wearing sandals!

We made it a family affair this morning. My wife ran the 2 mile race with our son and I ran the 5 miler. We all ended up placing in our age groups and got medals. That was a first for us.

Running in these monthly races sure helps me with my focus and motivation throughout the year. Very lucky to have a local running club that puts them on. The races are chip timed and cost only $5 to race if you are a member. A family membership is only $15 for the first family member and $3 for additional family members. Pretty good bang for the buck for sure.

Thought I would share. Nathan

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Ran 1/4 marathon race course (1/2 of half marathon) One of the toughest in country I hear. Anyway, 6.55 miles in 58'55".

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I haven't done any marathon runs. Just a neighborhood runner here. Maybe one day when I have the time I will try one. They did get 2 new Concept 2 rowers at the gym this week. I added in the 2000 meter row. Great machines and much smoother than the old rower. I like it.
Ran 1/4 marathon race course (1/2 of half marathon) One of the toughest in country I hear. Anyway, 6.55 miles in 58'55".

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Starting to crank it in the gym and with the pack for the next few weeks. Less than a month to go. How's everyone doing!!?

npaden

May 2, 2014
12.41 mile run this morning down into a canyon and back up so some decent elevation change at least for around here. 8:59 avg pace which is my target right now for my long runs. My running streak is now at 11 days in a row averaging 6.8 miles per day over that time. Doing a lot more speed work during the week preparing for a 10K race coming up on September 13th. Should work out pretty good for getting me in shape for my mountain goat hunt starting September 20th!

It's interesting seeing some of you guys posting your runs, pretty much where I was about 3 years ago, my goal that year was to be able to run 6 miles in under an hour and I had to work pretty hard to get there. Now that would be just a very easy run. If you stick with it you will see results.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Nice npaden!! Dont think I could do the 12miles in that time but I will do what I can that is for sure! :cool:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
7 mile hike through Hocking Vally on Saturday and 6 miles bike trek through BarkCamp State Park trails on Tuesday.
Hit the weights inbetween. Making a run at a few National weight lifting records if training holds together. :)

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Hey guys, I just found this Thread. I've been hiking alot in the mountains around my house at the base of Pikes Peak all summer. I hiked the Barr Trail up Pikes Peak a couple of weeks ago ... about 13 miles and +8000ft up. So far I'm down from 217lbs to 200lbs. Should dip below 200 very soon. This morning I did about 5 miles on the Pikes Peak hwy before dawn.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
All right time to post up some pictures from the Heart Mountain hike. I have to say, even with a light pack that trip was a lot more than I expected. 7 miles of switchbacks with about 2500 feet of elevation gain.

Before the hike we were all ready to go.

Here is Dan Turvey working towards the goal.. His back has been giving him fits and on this day it really flared up. We are hoping that it doesn't put a damper on his hunting season too much.

Here is Brandon at the top, pretty good view if I must say so myself.

As we were coming down the mountain Brandon and I were discussing how we don't want to lose all of the gains we have made over the last few months. Even though the challenge may be over we are thinking that this might be an annual thing. What do you guys think? Should we open up a thread like this every spring for encouragement and discussion?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Yes I think that is a great idea. I'm getting on the training for my hunts on the 1st of Sept. Not to concerned about loosing a bunch of weight but more getting my legs and lungs ready for the hikes. Endurance is very important to me so that's what I train for. The weight comes off just from the exercise.

npaden

May 2, 2014
In my opinion it's WAY easier to STAY in shape than it is to GET in shape. Probably a lot healthier too.

8.11 miles for me this morning with 5 X 1K intervals with 500m recoveries. My split pace on the fast intervals was 7:02, 7:02, 7:00, 7:04 and 6:55 pace.

I hit 100 miles of running logged in August yesterday which made the 30th consecutive month that I've run at least 100 miles. When I broke my collarbone in February I almost broke my streak but I pounded out some miles with my arm in a sling to keep it going.

I wish I had some trails to work in some real elevation gains like that hike you guys went on. I just have to settle for my one little canyon that I live on for my elevation work. It's about 10% of what you guys did.

Last edited:

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
In my opinion it's WAY easier to STAY in shape than it is to GET in shape. Probably a lot healthier too.

8.11 miles for me this morning with 5 X 1K intervals with 500m recoveries. My split pace on the fast intervals was 7:02, 7:02, 7:00, 7:04 and 6:55 pace.

I hit 100 miles of running logged in August yesterday which made the 30th consecutive month that I've run at least 100 miles. When I broke my collarbone in February I almost broke my streak but I pounded out some miles with my arm in a sling to keep it going.

I wish I had some trails to work in some real elevation gains like that hike you guys went on. I just have to settle for my one little canyon that I live on for my elevation work. It's about 10% of what you guys did.
I will have to agree with you on that. My job is very physical so I get plenty of exercise through the year but not the kind I need for hiking.

Staying in shape would be much more beneficial for sure.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
staying in shape is a lifetime thing. it doesn't come and go. it just goes. Make the life long decision to stay in shape. Exercise year round.

now I do admit, I take December off, but the other 11 months, eat right and excersice.