Eastmans' "Big Man Challenge!"

BrandonM

Nov 9, 2011
Hey guys, it has been far too long since I chimed in here to discuss how things are going for the challenge. As of last week I'm just about at my goal weight (within a pound) and am feeling great! I was able to go on a couple of short hikes last week as well and this whole challenge has really made a difference in recovery time. The best part...it has been a workout that is easy to incorporate in the daily grind. My schedule doesn't allow going to the gym every night so I had to find something I could do by riding my bike to work and using body weight for the strength training portion. We're on the home stretch now...basically a month until a lot of archery seasons open up....yahoo!!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I tried the app this morning on a short run. For some reason it only timed me for about 10 seconds. I had it in my camel back in a compartment. I think I must have turned it off when I slid it in the compartment. I will lock the screen next time.
PM your full name or Email address, I will add you.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
this is great MulyBux!
Just make it a lifestyle change for a health you all year long, ot just archery season (still a good reason :) )

Hey guys, it has been far too long since I chimed in here to discuss how things are going for the challenge. As of last week I'm just about at my goal weight (within a pound) and am feeling great! I was able to go on a couple of short hikes last week as well and this whole challenge has really made a difference in recovery time. The best part...it has been a workout that is easy to incorporate in the daily grind. My schedule doesn't allow going to the gym every night so I had to find something I could do by riding my bike to work and using body weight for the strength training portion. We're on the home stretch now...basically a month until a lot of archery seasons open up....yahoo!!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
as far as the tracking apps go. make sure you have a good gps signal before you put the phone away. also I haven't found great success in packs. Most of my rides are in places with out cellphone coverage, so the phone is constantly seeking signals. By using airplane mode, you take this function out and you have much better battery life. This is probably more important in biking than running, but maybe not. A 4 hour bike ride will kill most phones batteries unless on airplane mode.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com

Kind of went a little crazy with intervals tonight. Who else got a good run in this weekend

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

wyo-hntr

Jan 4, 2013
Powell, WY
Ok scottR I signed up on run keeper and tried to find you to add as a friend and couldn't. But here is tonight's run. Not to shabby for my first run in who knows how long...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Add me as a friend on FB, I will send you a request. I think I saw you run by my house.....

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I'm finally getting to my target weight that I set out at the beginning of the year when I started conciously and consistently working out again. Down 24 lbs right now. I'm not using run keeper, but here is my data from my last 2 runs from my GPS watch.

I'm getting pretty happy with my performance. Wouldn't mind maybe getting out on a more consistent basis to run, but I'm still doing T25 5 nights a week and running on average 3 nights a week. It might be 3 nights in a row, but better than nothing. However, I might have to change something with my running. I've never had any injuries from running, but it appears I am starting to develop shin splints. Not sure if in the 15 years since high school (the last time I really ran) if my feet have changed, my runninig style, shoe technology or what what but splints suck!!!

Friday night

Saturday night

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Nice Run and pace!

How are your shoes Work2hunt? Maybe it's time for a change; could be causing your shin splints.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Nice Run and pace!

How are your shoes Work2hunt? Maybe it's time for a change; could be causing your shin splints.
Thanks.

Shoes are pretty new. About 60 miles on them so far. Normally I use Nike or Reebok, but this time I went with a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 13's. They are a nice and comfortable fit, but I have been wondering if something is different about them compared to what I have used in the past. I do have a year old pair of Reebok's that I am going to try the next couple times I run and see if I notice a difference.

chiefgobbler

Jun 26, 2011
Central California
Guys,

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. At age 61, 6'1" (well I used to be 6'1" now they tell me I shrunk to 6'1/2") and 242 I understand how hard it is to improve metabolism and lose weight. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week but still eat too much. I started the year at 257 so I opted to use a personal trainer. I have learned a lot of new exercises and how to properly use lots of new equipment (TRX straps, Kettle bells, numerous machines). It feels good to have lost weight and increased strength and endurance. I have a goal to reach 225 by mid-September. Now I need to improve eating habits. I am a big time stress eater. If you are new to the gym use a trainer it is worth it. Watch out for some of the pitfalls I learned.

Be sure you can get your feet out of the TRX straps if using them to do planks by yourself. It is embarrassing to ask a 16 year old girl to help you get your feet out of the straps.

Be sure to wear gloves or ensure you hands are dry when using the Kettle Bells. Sure are loud when they hit the floor.

Check the seat on the stationary bike and double check that it is locked in place. I ride with a cup now.

Get to know some of the other regulars. I saw a woman there about my age so I mentioned how nice the tattoo on her calf looked. She slapped me, told me she did not have a tattoo just varicose veins!

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
219lbs today. I've been a little slow going the last couple of weeks as I have turned my ankle bad. Finally got the walking boot off and have been able to do more cardio.

Keep Hammering boys

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I just broke into the 170s this morning. Eating better and running has really helped!! Trying to get to 175 that was my high-school wt. A few less lbs to carry heading up the mountain in Sept.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Guys,

I have really enjoyed reading this thread. At age 61, 6'1" (well I used to be 6'1" now they tell me I shrunk to 6'1/2") and 242 I understand how hard it is to improve metabolism and lose weight. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week but still eat too much. I started the year at 257 so I opted to use a personal trainer. I have learned a lot of new exercises and how to properly use lots of new equipment (TRX straps, Kettle bells, numerous machines). It feels good to have lost weight and increased strength and endurance. I have a goal to reach 225 by mid-September. Now I need to improve eating habits. I am a big time stress eater. If you are new to the gym use a trainer it is worth it. Watch out for some of the pitfalls I learned.

Be sure you can get your feet out of the TRX straps if using them to do planks by yourself. It is embarrassing to ask a 16 year old girl to help you get your feet out of the straps.

Be sure to wear gloves or ensure you hands are dry when using the Kettle Bells. Sure are loud when they hit the floor.

Check the seat on the stationary bike and double check that it is locked in place. I ride with a cup now.

Get to know some of the other regulars. I saw a woman there about my age so I mentioned how nice the tattoo on her calf looked. She slapped me, told me she did not have a tattoo just varicose veins!
I had a bit of a rough day....thanks for this post. I'm still chuckling.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
I'm gonna join this challenge, late, but I'm 12 weeks out from a total knee replacement, I'm 6`1" and 286 lbs. It's gonna be tuff it's 106° and I work in the heat so I'm pretty wiped out by the end of the day, and I still have knee rehab once a week but I'll post my results each week on Mondays, my goal weight is 225lbs .oh yea 58 years young.

Last edited: