Bulls Taken in 2020 with what bullet and caliber combos?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree Bones.
The lighter Bullets in a .28 Nosler will definitely get the job done but a heavier Bullet seems to work even better.

Keepitcold, if you ever get a chance to try the 195gr Berger’s you’ll have to let us know if your rifle likes them. Regardless of the bullet, congrats on getting a great rifle and a great bull !!
Thank you!

I will

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
what, traditional weight bullets for caliber kill elk. how can that be, based on internet talk. Elk only die with heavy for caliber bullets.

sorry, i could not resist!

Reactions: DRUSS

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
That’s true, same caliber ... but the different cartridge makes a difference.
The .28 Nosler shoots the heavier Bullets much better ... that’s all.
In addition, there is so much lost case capacity. Same diameter, but much longer case hence longer bullet. That is the reason for the design. Otherwise, shot the 7mm or .280
Just food for thought. ;)

They all get the job done if placed in the right place.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I am just laughing because alot of elk have been killed with .284 bullets in the 160 gr range. decades of elk. But today it has to be heavy for caliber or you are doing it wrong. lol

or in other words, finding a solution to a problem, that did not exist.

first slow day at work in months gives me time to play on here.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
You are missing the point of this discussion.
No one said anything about “today it has to be heavy for caliber or you’re doing it wrong.”
Tent said he shot his elk with a .28 Nosler using a light bullet and Bones and I just let him know the .28 Nosler typically shoots the heavier Bullets more accurately.
That’s it.
You are reading way too much into this.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree Winchester and Tim I know you’re just having fun and I agree with the statement your making but that’s another discussion. My only thought with reloading a light bullet for the 28 Nosler will be the amount of powder you would go through to get the burn rate correct and using the correct powder. Now I’m a bit curious if using a lighter bullet would actually net the speed you’re thinking you’re going to get because the case capacity is so long. You would also have to seat the bullet much deeper within the case that’s creating friction the slowing things down and possibly creating erratic accuracy. However you could trim the case down further to split the difference but then you’re back to a 7 MM. I’m sure there’s a workaround with the right recipe and I am OCD and will probably be looking for that as I’m hoping to make the 28 Nosler my next purchase.
Good discussion guys.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
winchester, i could argue you are missing the point. The whole point of this thread was light banter on meaningless stuff.
I doubt a bull would notice 30grns in bullet weight. But the internet surely does notice 30 grns of bullet weight.

Bonecollector
Based on what we read, hornady figured it out with the 162eldx.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Ok Tim,
The OP said nothing about this thread being for “light banter on meaningless stuff”.
You insist on continuing a different discussion.
At this point I can only assume you read whatever you want to in things or you’re trying to bait me.
Either way, I’m not interested in arguing.
Have a nice evening.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Moving on now with this thread.

Ive used 7mm and 300 win mag on most of my hunts up until the last couple years.

Here is my question
How about a .308 for elk? 160gr Hornady ELDX
Sure shot placement is everything but lets say with a not so good shot, 400 yards, shoulder shot or ribs. IYO would the .308 have enough umff to get into the lungs to kill the bull? I know many guys that hunt elk with a 270 and they seem to do just fine as well with the 308. I’m just curious your all thoughts on a poor shot.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming

Ive used 7mm and 300 win mag on most of my hunts up until the last couple years.

Here is my question
Sure shot placement is everything but lets say with a not so good shot, 400 yards, shoulder shot or ribs. IYO would the .308 have enough umff to get into the lungs to kill the bull? I know many guys that hunt elk with a 270 and they seem to do just fine as well with the 308. I’m just curious your all thoughts on a poor shot.
Likely would. But a lot of the recovery would depend on the hunter. Some people would wait, and approach the right way. Some people wouldn't wait long enough, and blow the whole dang thing up possibly losing the elk, but still likely killing it.

I shot a smaller bull elk at 355 yards with my 270 130 grain 2 years ago. Complete pass through busted rib in, busted rib and shoulder blade on the other side out.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I killed a lot of elk both cows and bulls with a old 30-06 shooting what ever was the cheapest on the store shelves mostly 150 grain bullets. Most of the bullets were just jacketed lead with a exposed lead point. I then discovered reloading. But most of all the elk that I killed with that old 06 were one shot kills with all of them being under 200 yards.

I then graduated to a 7mm Rem mag shooting 150 grain Sierra Game Kings and continued to kill elk out to 400 yards with most of them being one or two shot kills.

So now I use a .340 Weatherby shooting 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets, most of the elk that I have shot with it have been one shot kills. The range has been extended some but dead is dead. It didn't matter if it was shot with a old 06 or my newer .340 Weatherby dead is dead.

So which one is the best?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
That might be a good deer bullet but maybe you should be using 300 gr Accubonds on elk. At least that is what I read on the internet 😉
I am waiting for the 400 gr. way better BC

winchester
IT was just good natured shit flipping. nothing more, nothing less

Reactions: BAKPAKR

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska

Here is my question
I'm not sure you definition of a poor shot and mine are the same? Through the ribs is the goal, no? When it comes to elk and obvious poor shots, caliber doesn't matter much imo. Through the shoulders at long range is debatable, I agree. I have seen a 7mm-08 and a .308 (with bonded bullets) go through shoulders successfully at 300 and closer but haven't seen it done further. With the non-bonded ELDX, I would think a shooter could run into problems at long range with heavy bone hits shooting the lighter for elk calibers.