Bear attack

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I don't have all the details, but my neighbor's 46 year old son was killed by a brown bear. He lives in a small town across Turnagin Arm from Anchorage on the Kenai Peninsula. Apparently he was clearing a trail thru his property to a berry patch when he encountered the bear. He was dead when they found him. Be safe out there!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That is a scary thing when living in bear country.

Have they determined if it was a sow with cubs or just a ticked off bear that didn't like him in his berry patch?

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
That is a scary thing when living in bear country.

Have they determined if it was a sow with cubs or just a ticked off bear that didn't like him in his berry patch?
I haven't heard yet. The bear seemed dedicated to the task though. Fish and game have cameras and traps out. They plan to kill it.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Very Sorry to hear that.
Do you think they’ll try and track down the bear?
I'm sure they'll try too. Really thick brushy country in that area. It's likely the only bear with bear spray all over its face there, so it may be easy to identify!

Reactions: Winchester

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
A completely loaded and completely emptied 454Casull or 44 magnum firearm would have been better.
when i lived in cooper landing, which is near hope. I did first aid on Craig Medred the anchorage daily news outdoor editor, after he was mauled by a sow with cubs. The teeth marks on the reticle of the scope on the 454 casuall sits in my mind forever. this was in 1992.
At that time, i thought i was invicble and my sheeth knife would stop any bear. my mind changed after that.
My condolences to the family.