2018 Spring Turkey

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
No bird this weekend either.

Been one of the worst springs for turkey hunting I have ever had.

If I dont score next weekend it looks like I'm throwing in the towel for this year making it one of my only years in over 30 years of hunting not killing a gobbler. Not sure whats going on but the woods are DEAD SILENT in Georgia.

I'm heading to a completely different part of the state to try and get it done next weekend.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Found these gobblers strutting their stuff right by the highway. We have a friend going to hunt them so good luck to him, they had 4 hens cornered.

IMG_0339 (960x640).jpgIMG_0344 (960x640).jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Missouri opened up yesterday. It was a balmy 27 degrees.. Had one bird gobbling off the roost, and called him in right after fly down. He skirted around me at 30 yards in the open beanfield, and I got a little greedy, thinking he would circle and then commit, so I didn't shoot. He walked off to 100 yards, sat there and gobbled for an hour, bred a hen, thought about coming back in, but then followed his hens away.
First time I haven't shot an opening day Missouri bird in probably 10 years - depression.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Missouri opened up yesterday. It was a balmy 27 degrees.. Had one bird gobbling off the roost, and called him in right after fly down. He skirted around me at 30 yards in the open beanfield, and I got a little greedy, thinking he would circle and then commit, so I didn't shoot. He walked off to 100 yards, sat there and gobbled for an hour, bred a hen, thought about coming back in, but then followed his hens away.
First time I haven't shot an opening day Missouri bird in probably 10 years - depression.
I have a feeling you will connect :) Id just look at it like now you have more of excuse to get out hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Interesting weekend here in Nebraska.

Dad, brother and I drove out Friday afternoon...weather was turning cold. By Saturday morning all hell had broken loose, roads closed, wind howling from 30-40 MPH, with gusts around 55 MPH. We slept in and decided to go for a drive around 3 PM, the wind was still blowing like crazy. Only about 2 inches on the ground, and the north-south roads were fine.

Turned on the east-west road...and it got a little hairy. Drifts didn't look bad (famous last words). Going through the second drift and my 3/4 ton 4x4 ground to a halt. Opened the door and I was pushing snow ("this ain't good boys..."). We dug around, but decided to walk to the nearest farm house for assistance. Brother humped the ~1 mile and caught the farmer as he was going out to feed his cattle. He was super nice and happy to help. Had us pulled out in no time.

This is picture as we were getting pulled out...

20180414_192052(0).jpg

Second time we decided not to risk it...and walked in...(note to self, drifted snow = no bueno)

20180415_170630.jpg

Sunday we got out in the afternoon and spotted group of 6 turkeys near shelter belt. Sent brother in from one end, me and my 77 year old Dad drove around and blocked the other end. Wind still howling...brother pushed this tom right to me. He was feeding along, minding his own business...45 yards...done!

IMG957425.jpg

Last picture is on the walk out...no, that's not a dog track, or a coyote...showed the farmer...yep, Mt. Lion. He said several had been spotted around...and even seen some wolves in the area(!).

20180415_172401.jpg

All in all, great weekend with my Dad and Brother. They are headed back in two weeks...hoping to get some better weather. Me and the wife are pulling the ATV's to Moab, Utah first week of May.

Good luck to all those chasing turkeys!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Way to get it done Daubs. Nice looking Tom. I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that is a large dog track. One of the cat guys on here may know better than I though?

Jdd2035

Sep 12, 2016
55-60 mph winds blew my blind to God knows where. But still got a positive attitude.

Gerald

Dec 8, 2017
Colorado
yeah i think it looks more like a wolf track than a lion track.. lions tend to have two tracks next to each other immediately in front of another. claw marks tend to not show on lions too. How many turkey tags can you get in nebraska anyways? i will be hunting second season in colorado units 101,102 by the border of nebraska in may and have heard they allow youth to hunt without any age minimum for turkey up there and have pretty cheap nonresident tags.. wanted to take my 8 year old out there to experience his first hunt.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Gerald, you can shoot 7 turkeys per year in Nebraska. You are allowed 3 spring permits (one tom/bearded hen per permit) and 2 fall permits (two turkeys of either sex per permit).

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
Gerald, you can shoot 7 turkeys per year in Nebraska. You are allowed 3 spring permits (one tom/bearded hen per permit) and 2 fall permits (two turkeys of either sex per permit).
I need to get up to Nebraska! Momma still wants a Merriam.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Nice work Daubs. Been tough sledding over here...literally with snow we got last night and howling wind.

With regards to the tracks.... the cats have a third lobe on the heal pad kind of like an upside down cursive M is how I was taught.....that then tends to make it look rounder also vice flat across the back of the heel pad.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Went out this morning in the snow and cold hoping that a few had headed up the hills off of all the private. No luck. I saw elk, deer, rabbits, and a few grouse.

Going to try again on Monday.