2018 Spring Turkey

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
It has been a tough season so far. I missed a longbeard last Wednesday only 15 minutes after leaving the truck. I had the gun in the opening I was planning on him coming into, but I was scanning my eyes elsewhere when he showed up. Thought I would hear him coming in the leaves, but didn't. He saw me before I could get on him as he was behind a bush. Started to cluck and go and I tried to hit him in another opening to no avail. Have been out every morning the past 2 weeks except for 1 and have had more gobble-less mornings than mornings with gobbles. Last year heard a gobble every morning I was out. Been tough going so far, for sure.

ando_31

Sep 14, 2012
ND
Just got back from our 3 1/2 day turkey hunt. Averaged seeing about 6 turkeys a day is all. My brother and I tagged out on a couple of jakes the last morning in a scenic area. We had to stalk the turkeys since they were pretty much done mating. We did try to decoy a few the last morning. The turkeys didn't seem to interested in the decoys but the horses sure liked to chew on them....It was a fun hunt and we took lots of photos of sharp tail grouse on their stomping grounds.

20180507_075847.jpg

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
20180510_070911_001.jpg

Well it all came together this morning. Dad called in 3 gobblers for me. Took some time for them to commit, but they slowly worked their way in range. The birds are loving dad's glass pot call.

Sorry for the sideways image.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Dad connected this morning on one of if not his biggest bird ever. I wasn't able to go along as I am battling a cold a took the morning off from hunting by did drive around and heard a bird and saw a strutter with a hen in a field. I won't have a full bird pic but if I can remember to take a picture of the bird and spurs, I will. The weather has been perfect this week and I expect next week to be a pretty good week for working birds.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Well, 4 trips out this year, turned up one bird, and that was on the first trip out. My son is a trooper, and just keeps going. Taking this weekend off to have some friends over from Washington state over on Saturday, and Sunday to celebrate Mothers day. Might be able to get back out the following Saturday, hoping to get my boy at least close to a tommy, just to keep his hopes up for next year.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Was able to seal the deal on my second PA bird on Saturday. He's a jake with a 4" beard and small spurs. All of last week was a total washout. Rain day and night everyday. Went with my father this morning to try and fill his second tag. No gobbles although it was a gobbler morning. On a positive note, saw the first wild quail in about 10 years this morning. Hopefully they as well as the ruffed grouse make a comeback!

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Anyone else still sweating it out in the turkey woods? Hunting with my sister today. It's a nice and cool morning here in PA. Down to the last couple of days. Good luck to all still at it.

DU4LIFE25

Sep 24, 2015
Wisconsin
A little late but here's my youngest daughter and her first turkey from two weeks ago. 9-3/4" beard & 1" spurs. She was pretty jacked, especially considering her bird was much bigger than her older sister's bird. Which of course caused some issues when we got home and her sister saw how big this bird was, lol.
IMG_0777(Edited).jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0783.jpgIMG_0784.jpgIMG_0785.jpg

the wanderer

Nov 14, 2012
Burlington, WI
Had a successful Wisconsin turkey season. April 21st in SE part of the state. Two yr old. 9? beard. 3/4?
Spurs.

May 11th. SW part of the state. Another two yr old. 9? beard. 3/4? and 7/8? spurs.

May 12th. Shot this one from the exact same tree as the one the day before. 3-4 yr old. 9? beard. 1 1/4? spurs. I would guess around 25 lbs. I?ve never had a scale so I?ve never known how much any of the turkeys I?ve shot have weighed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk