2018 Spring Turkey

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
Let's hear how your 2018 spring turkey season is going. From scouting till the end of the season, post it up. Saturday morning was the first that I have scouted, if you call driving the back road on your way to breakfast and stopping every so often to listen on the mountain, scouting. It was 20 degrees and we have about 4 inches of snow on the ground, but I heard 4 different birds on 3 different stops. A friend of ours was at the breakfast and heard a few from his house. It's getting that time.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I was out Saturday morning on Public land in Georgia.

Didn't hear a single bird at daylight then had 2 guys from Atlanta driving up and down the road calling from their truck windows (Very Annoying and VERY Typical) Threw in the towel around 11:00 AM.

Sunday it was 38 degrees and raining. I've killed enough birds to know that the odds for success are about 1% in those conditions so I hid in the basement and reloaded shells all day.

Weather is warming up for next weekend. Maybe it will get the birds talking.

I'm going to wait a couple weeks before going back to the public. Let some of the knuckleheads clear out.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Brother scouted his new spot for turkeys (after he got the waterfowl blind off the river).

This place is new to us, and the landowner reports lots of turkeys in the area. We will be headed out opening weekend (April 14-15th). Really looking forward to turkey hunting again this year. We lost permission on land Dad, Brother and I had been hunting since 1982.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Sunday it was 38 degrees and raining. I've killed enough birds to know that the odds for success are about 1% in those conditions so I hid in the basement and reloaded shells all day.
Man, I've wacked a bunch of cold rainy day gobblers.. Have my best success in short grass pastures. They hate the timber in the rain, and don't seem to like getting too muddy in cut ag fields.

Season for us starts April 16th. I may go out that weekend before and try to stick one in Kansas, but I'll probably just end up making sure I've got a bird lined out for Monday instead.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Come to Georgia and give it a whirl on 200K acres of timbered Chattahoochee National forest. lol

I used to kill a lot of birds in Pennsylvania in the cold and wet weather.

Down here they simply shut down.

If the sun comes out, now thats a different story :)

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
So many turkeys everywhere. I've resorted to the stick and string the past 7 years just because shotgun was simply too easy. Going for the CO slam again this year

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Turkey is a draw here in Nv. The public land gets to be a real S show on the opener. You can go out and scout, see plenty of turkeys, set your blind and not see anyone. Opening day there will be blinds every 100 yards! Not my thing

I have gone to Ca once and had a great time but unsuccessful. Maybe this year

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Going out to western ok for april 6 opener then on to Kansas on the 18th and hopefully new mexico around may 5. The big woods easterns I have here are a tuff ticket on a rainy and windy day as well. Our season in se Oklahoma doesn't open till april 23 this year.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Bought a new Thunder chick upright hen to go with my full strut tom that I put a real fan on. My son and I are excited for this season. I plan to video tape him on his three toms before I even start to hunt. I also plan to get my wife her first tom this spring as well as another new hunters first bird. I can already smell the turkey bacon sliders on the smoker...

jhilton81

Jul 26, 2017
Enterprise, AL
Any scouting/hunting tips Colorado Turkey Hunters for Lake Dorothy SWA. I drew nonresident tag for this SWA and I have never hunted it. Will be first attempt at Merriams. Thanks for the help in advance!

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Bought a new Thunder chick upright hen to go with my full strut tom that I put a real fan on. My son and I are excited for this season. I plan to video tape him on his three toms before I even start to hunt. I also plan to get my wife her first tom this spring as well as another new hunters first bird. I can already smell the turkey bacon sliders on the smoker...
Now this is confidence! I like it! :cool:
Hilltop vs Thunder Chicken x 4 before he pulls the trigger. Git'r done bro!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Nebraska turkeys are doing so good right now it honestly isn't too difficult. My son killed 3 big toms last year in one afternoon. We took a total of 7 toms in 3 days of hunting.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I saw a group of turkeys while deer hunting in Nebraska so big I stopped counting when I got to 100. There were for sure over 200 birds in the flock. They were literally everywhere.

boiler

Dec 26, 2015
Indiana
Got drawn for the first 3 days on the state property near my house! Second year in a row. Hopefully my 2 oldest sons get drawn for the youth hunt, should find out soon.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Been scouting a couple of times and havent heard a gobble yet. They usually hang on my place during the winter and go to the neighbors during spring. :mad: Got a trip to kansas planned for the end of April, so I'm really looking forward to that.