Fuel prices affect

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
My brother and friends just drove to Omaha and back from NE Mississippi to watch the first two Ole Miss games. He drives a 2020 GMC 3/4 ton 2500 gas burner. He said he spent $800 on gas!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Its bad. I'm thankful we only have to go into the office once a week. That's a 100 mile round trip for me. Can't imagine what my fuel bill would be if I was going in M-F.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
^^ ~60 miles each way for me. Soul crushing when prices are high.
I drove to Richmond on Monday and I was thankful that my 2500 truck averaged 25.1 MPG.

We had a pile of gift cards from cableas and ordered us a Kodiak Canvas 8 person tent to avoid pulling the enclosed trailer to Colorado this fall. If I can average 25 MPG VS 13 MPG that will pay for the tent in fuel savings. Always amazes me how poor my truck does in fuel when you hook a small trailer behind it.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
^^ ~60 miles each way for me. Soul crushing when prices are high.
I drove to Richmond on Monday and I was thankful that my 2500 truck averaged 25.1 MPG.

We had a pile of gift cards from cableas and ordered us a Kodiak Canvas 8 person tent to avoid pulling the enclosed trailer to Colorado this fall. If I can average 25 MPG VS 13 MPG that will pay for the tent in fuel savings. Always amazes me how poor my truck does in fuel when you hook a small trailer behind it.
When we go to Northwest Ontario fishing my BIL would pull his 14ft enclosed trailer with a 6 person side by side in it along with all our coolers, beer, food, etc. The last time we went in 2018 our diesel price for the trip was $2800. So if we went today it would be close to $6000 assuming we took all the same crap.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
But they are going to cancel the federal gas and diesel tax for 3 months. Just think of how much you are going to save. (n)
What a joke.
When we go to Northwest Ontario fishing my BIL would pull his 14ft enclosed trailer with a 6 person side by side in it along with all our coolers, beer, food, etc. The last time we went in 2018 our diesel price for the trip was $2800. So if we went today it would be close to $6000 assuming we took all the same crap.
Im Considering sleeping in my canopy in a cot ant leaving the camper at home when I go to the races. The camper eats about 5mpg.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
But they are going to cancel the federal gas and diesel tax for 3 months. Just think of how much you are going to save. (n)
another form of free money to help spiral inflation.
my god, this nation is run AND habitated by idiots!

I hope they the people of this nation get everything they ask for . they deserve it.
this whole mess came about because folks vote for feelings instead of policy.
now reap it!

hope this post wasn't to " mean " for ya'll.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
What I want to know is why the prices are so high. All the excuses aside, the price of crude oil is around $120/barrel and the price of diesel is around $5.50/gal. The last time crude was $120 a little over a year ago, the price of diesel was more than a $1.00 LESS a gallon.!

Oil companies are making huge profits . Go figure that one out! You don't have to be an economist to do that.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
federal gas tax is 18 cents per gallon. A savings of about 3.6% if gas is $5 per gallon. Tax is 24 cents per gallon for diesel. The only significant way for either to go down in price is increased supply or decreased demand.

Reactions: mallardsx2

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
We just canceled a camping trip to the Oregon coast last week , 2 trucks and 1800 miles it was cheaper to fly to LA and go on a cruise.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If they remove the federal gas tax for 3 months, the price will actually go back up long term. Discount the price by 4ish% people buy more, demand goes up along with the price. Then 3 months later add the 4ish% tax back on we'll be paying more in 3 months.

• Love
Reactions: kidoggy

mustang8

Jan 30, 2017
Central WI
Oil companies make more money while under a Republican leader. So they are cranking it to us right now in hopes to run dip stick Biden or any other idiot Democrat out of any chance to win in 24 in hopes to get a republican back in office. They have a win win situation. No matter what they are getting stupid rich. that is not right.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Oil companies make more money while under a Republican leader. So they are cranking it to us right now in hopes to run dip stick Biden or any other idiot Democrat out of any chance to win in 24 in hopes to get a republican back in office. They have a win win situation. No matter what they are getting stupid rich. that is not right.
Politics aside, oil companies make tons of money no matter who is in charge, Republicans or Democrats. OPEC controls the the world wide supply, when they limit their production, the prices go up. We have enough oil here in the US to meet our demands, but they sell it for whatever the world price is for crude. If Congress would put an export tax of say $20.00 a barrel on all domestically produced oil that is exported, you would see the foreign market dry up. The oil companies would then have to compete for the domestic market and the price could actually go down because of excess crude here. The problem with this is they could actually limit production here and try to keep prices high. They have us over a barrel (pun intended!) and the only way to remedy this is for Congress to step in. Yep....politics rears it's ugly head again.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One has to remember that 2 short years ago the US had become the number 1 oil exporter and we had low fuel prices, it didn't take long for the new administration to change a few things and we were no longer the number 1 oil exporter but had to go begging other countries for their oil and the prices started to climb.

As for the oil companies, they have always made money. They are in the business of making it and when our supply ends up like it is now they make even more money. Look back into the 1900's when the federal government broke up Standard Oil and a few of the other large oil companies. In my opinion the government didn't help the consumer but helped out the numerous oil companies that came out of the break up.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
One has to remember that 2 short years ago the US had become the number 1 oil exporter and we had low fuel prices, it didn't take long for the new administration to change a few things and we were no longer the number 1 oil exporter but had to go begging other countries for their oil and the prices started to climb.

As for the oil companies, they have always made money. They are in the business of making it and when our supply ends up like it is now they make even more money. Look back into the 1900's when the federal government broke up Standard Oil and a few of the other large oil companies. In my opinion the government didn't help the consumer but helped out the numerous oil companies that came out of the break up.
no government ,in the history of the world ,has ever or will ever , helped the consumer .

voting is just choosing which candidate you think will lube you up the most before bending you over!

I am sure some will disagree. that is fine . you just go right on believing governments goal is to make your life better.

I do not thrive because of government . I thrive in spite of it.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
What I want to know is why the prices are so high. All the excuses aside, the price of crude oil is around $120/barrel and the price of diesel is around $5.50/gal. The last time crude was $120 a little over a year ago, the price of diesel was more than a $1.00 LESS a gallon.!

Oil companies are making huge profits . Go figure that one out! You don't have to be an economist to do that.
The last time oil was over $100 several years ago, all the other input costs that go into refining were a lot less than they are today. There's more to the cost of gas and diesel than just the price of oil. I'm not trying to defend or make excuses for the oil companies or anyone else. Just facts though.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I've got 2 new employees and the fuel cards for their truck won't be here till tomorrow, so I've filled up their trucks and Gen sets on their trailers this week. I'm just over $600 and they haven't left the city limits of Cheyenne, LOL!