Fuel prices affect

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
it is all well and fun to bash the billionaire oil companies but the plain fact is , it is bidens stupid policies driving up inflation.

he and any who support him are scum and I have no doubt there is a special place in hell awaiting them all!

want lower gas prices ? first step is to get every democrat possible , out of office.

keystone pipeline . build more refineries. open leases to every oil field in the U.S.

there is no limit to what this nation could accomplish if the politicians would just get the hell out of the way!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When you have to pay people (who made $8/hr two years ago) $16/hr to come back to work. That has adverse effects right up through the chain. Its affecting everything from food to fuel. This IS the new norm for fuel. I doubt you will EVER see the price of fuel go back down below $4/gallon.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
When you have to pay people (who made $8/hr two years ago) $16/hr to come back to work. That has adverse effects right up through the chain. Its affecting everything from food to fuel. This IS the new norm for fuel. I doubt you will EVER see the price of fuel go back down below $4/gallon.
sure we will . that is what folks said in the 70s , 80s ,90s, 00s and teens also.

market will correct itself eventually. when folks have no money to pay and begin to tighten their belts prices drop fast.

and when we adopt policies that do not stifle the energy industry and begin to build new refineries ( it will happen eventually because it must) prices will fall.

who remembers the chant back in Ws era . "drill here ,drill now! "

we were told it wouldn't affect global prices . guess what, it did!

we have done it before and we can do it again.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Gas may never be below $2 again, but it'll be under $4 if we get a crop of even marginally sane politicians in place. I just got home from working out, and I noticed it is down to $4.29 here this morning. Oil is down some from the recent peak. It may go back up again next week. Who knows?

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado

Professional oil field guy here.
The facts are in this article. It has a lot less to do with politicians than you think. Its a global issue with many variables. Good info in that link.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yeah. there is always all kinds of excuses and reasons put forth by the price gougers.
most of it is pure bullshit with a little truth sprinkled in.

much along the same lines as drilling here won't affect global prices.

who would believe a word of what the oil conglomerates say? they own the politicians.

I do agree there are many factors in play driving the high prices . the majority of them are driven by poor political policy.

some are do to consumer stupidity also . such as the blocking of refineries and pipelines being built . let's face it , everyone wants lower prices but they sure as hell don't want a refinery anywhere near them.

Last edited:

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas

Professional oil field guy here.
The fact are in this article. It has a lot less to do with politicians thank you think. Its a global issue with many variables. Good info in that link.
The article doesn't talk about the reliability problems associated with wind and solar, which are big and real. It does say that it would take a few years to fix the bottleneck issues in oil/gas, and that is 100% true. It's been true for 30 years while politicians have continued to use the EPA and every other government entity they can to prevent the construction of new refineries that we've desperately needed for decades. And that problem is only getting worse with increasing demand for energy.

Renewables can definitely play a role in alleviating part of the problem, but current technologies are not even close to being able to take over if we dropped all petroleum energy from our system. Politicians should get out of the way and let the private sector and the markets solve the problem by increasing capacity to produce oil, gas, and refined petroleum products as well as expand renewables where they're actually cost effective and useful. The Keystone pipeline isn't the magic bullet all by itself. But neither are wind and solar. We need a comprehensive plan of action to increase the availability of all types of energy.

Last edited:

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The article doesn't talk about the reliability problems associated with wind and solar, which are big and real. It does say that it would take a few years to fix the bottleneck issues in oil/gas, and that is 100% true. It's been true for 30 years while politicians have continued to use the EPA and every other government entity they can to prevent the construction of new refineries that we've desperately needed for decades. And that problem is only getting worse with increasing demand for energy.

Renewables can definitely play a role in alleviating part of the problem, but current technologies are not even close to being able to take over if we dropped all petroleum energy from our system. Politicians should get out of the way and let the private sector and the markets solve the problem by increasing capacity to produce oil, gas, and refined petroleum products as well as expand renewables where they're actually cost effective and useful. The Keystone pipeline isn't the magic bullet all by itself. But neither are wind and solar. We need a comprehensive plan of action to increase the availability of all types of energy.
Wind and Solar will not be capable of meeting demand until storage capacity technology is developed, if that ever happens. I was fortunate to be part of a joint project between the company I was working for and WE energies about 10 years ago. I learned so much during that project and am grateful that I was a part of it. My biggest takeaway was that 100% renewables is a pipe dream, at least with our current technology. IMO we should be pursuing all of the sources, petroleum, nuclear and renewables. Wind and Solar currently have no ability to match peaks and their highest points of production don’t line up with the highest demands, hence the need for storage if renewables are ever going totally reliable.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I agree completely that wind and solar energy can’t replace the demand. I remember when they built all the windmills around me. That was suppose to be the answer to everything! Still haven’t seen that!!! I run heavy equipment for a living, I see no replacement for diesel fuel for those applications in the near future. I can’t imagine having an electric powered grader or dozer. “Shut er down for the day boys…the grader is outta juice, gotta charge it!”

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I agree completely that wind and solar energy can’t replace the demand. I remember when they built all the windmills around me. That was suppose to be the answer to everything! Still haven’t seen that!!! I run heavy equipment for a living, I see no replacement for diesel fuel for those applications in the near future. I can’t imagine having an electric powered grader or dozer. “Shut er down for the day boys…the grader is outta juice, gotta charge it!”
I’m in the same line of work and I couldn’t agree more.

Reactions: kidoggy

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Its really ashamed that nuclear power gets such a bad rap. Had the US continued to build reactors we'd be getting most of our power from that instead of fossil fuels. I think as it is now the US only gets around 10% from nuclear. My son had a mild interest in nuclear engineering and I steered him away from that and his focusing on chemical engineering.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Wind and Solar will not be capable of meeting demand until storage capacity technology is developed, if that ever happens. I was fortunate to be part of a joint project between the company I was working for and WE energies about 10 years ago. I learned so much during that project and am grateful that I was a part of it. My biggest takeaway was that 100% renewables is a pipe dream, at least with our current technology. IMO we should be pursuing all of the sources, petroleum, nuclear and renewables. Wind and Solar currently have no ability to match peaks and their highest points of production don’t line up with the highest demands, hence the need for storage if renewables are ever going totally reliable.
I agree we need to pursue all avenues. Global markets react when stability is lost and a perceived risk or threat is there. Sometimes even if its not there. Its like our pensions/retirement funds. We don't have all of it in one area the risk is spread out so it can absorb the ebbs and flows or the market and global issue.

Reactions: dan maule

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Its really ashamed that nuclear power gets such a bad rap. Had the US continued to build reactors we'd be getting most of our power from that instead of fossil fuels. I think as it is now the US only gets around 10% from nuclear. My son had a mild interest in nuclear engineering and I steered him away from that and his focusing on chemical engineering.
the problem with nuclear is much the same as oil refineries .
no one wants one near them.

but the windmills give stupid people a sense of peace. they make them feal all warm an cuddly inside.

at least they do until the rolling blackouts arrive

Reactions: Shane13

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
anyone else find it hilarious that the "green" president, who suggests more people should bike to work, never learned to ride a bike?

I will only add that falling from that bike is probably the only thing Branden has done in his life that I approve of!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ahh he had a senior moment when he forgot to put his food down when he stopped.

Either that or the person who was suppose to hold up his bike wasn't around...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The company I was working for many years ago (Rockwell International) had a division dedicated to Nuclear energy. They developed a fast breeder nuclear reactor. It made radioactive fuel as a by product of it's energy production. I believe nuclear power plants should be a big part of our energy production. They use them all over Europe. Nuclear power has gotten a bad rap here as the private companies running them cut corners and the government didn't do anything about it.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Germany went all in on renewable energy, closing all of the coal power plants and 14 of their 17 nuclear power plants. Peaking needs were from natural gas (purchased from Russia). OOPS! Their elec. rates are 34 cents per KWH, in the US we pay 4 to 18 cents per KWH. So now, Germany is restarting some of their coal plants and purchasing elec. from France that gets 80% of their elec. from nuclear.
I had modified our plans for a grand tour throughout the west in the truck and travel trailer, but switched to the car and a there and back again to visit my wife's relatives. That was still 3,000 miles, but at 34.5 MPG vs: 9 MPG it wasn't a hard decision.
I did draw two elk tags in WY, so have decided that instead of multiple trips, that I will haul the trailer and stay out there for however long it takes (up to 6 weeks). I know it doesn't have to take that long, but the first 2 weeks are archery, then a 2 week closed period before the final 2 week rifle season.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Germany went all in on renewable energy, closing all of the coal power plants and 14 of their 17 nuclear power plants. Peaking needs were from natural gas (purchased from Russia). OOPS! Their elec. rates are 34 cents per KWH, in the US we pay 4 to 18 cents per KWH. So now, Germany is restarting some of their coal plants and purchasing elec. from France that gets 80% of their elec. from nuclear.
I had modified our plans for a grand tour throughout the west in the truck and travel trailer, but switched to the car and a there and back again to visit my wife's relatives. That was still 3,000 miles, but at 34.5 MPG vs: 9 MPG it wasn't a hard decision.
I did draw two elk tags in WY, so have decided that instead of multiple trips, that I will haul the trailer and stay out there for however long it takes (up to 6 weeks). I know it doesn't have to take that long, but the first 2 weeks are archery, then a 2 week closed period before the final 2 week rifle season.
RICMIC I like your problem solving :). Six weeks to roam around the hills in WY with 2 elk tags sounds like a great plan, good luck!

Reactions: RICMIC

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
anyone else find it hilarious that the "green" president, who suggests more people should bike to work, never learned to ride a bike?

I will only add that falling from that bike is probably the only thing Branden has done in his life that I approve of!
Yeah, but the dementia ridden SOB was wearing a helmet.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Gas may never be below $2 again, but it'll be under $4 if we get a crop of even marginally sane politicians in place. I just got home from working out, and I noticed it is down to $4.29 here this morning. Oil is down some from the recent peak. It may go back up again next week. Who knows?
I filled up for less than $4/gal yesterday - and we don't even have different, less insane politicians yet. It's down to $3.93 at the station near my house. Oil is down another $3/bbl this morning. I'd love to see oil stay in the $60-80 range. Oil industry makes good money at that level, and gas would be under $3.