Fuel prices affect

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’m highly considering shelving long distance hunting this year, I was wondering if anyone else is in the same mindset. It could be a good year for the ones who are throwing cost to the side and going all in. I have other hobbies that I have thousands of dollars invested in that could easily eat up my fuel money for the year. The added cost of fuel is just enough to have me possibly on the sidelines in 22. With applications coming up it’s heavily on my mind.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I can understand your thoughts on this. but with my early wyoming elk app i plan to follow through with and a Alaska trip thats been a 2 yr plan. These prices do suck, but either way it always feels like each season another price change comes up. After all the COVID CRAP i just plan on sticking to my plans the best i can. that keeps me outdoors longer

Reactions: gonhunting247

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I don't worry too much about it, if you want to go you go. Back in 2009 when the prices were up where they are now we still headed down to Arizona on a 2400 mile round trip, we choked and gagged when running the CC through the pump for the second time when we filled up but we went and enjoyed the trip. Even this past February when we went down the fuel prices were high but we just paid them

This year will be no different for any of the rest of my hunts.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Pretty sure most guys will still do it. I will be shocked if they don't.

Now if fuel prices are this high still next year and people are eating their reserve incomes all year to drive....well that might change things.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I would bet the increased cost of the trip itself won’t be the issue, but runaway inflation and everyday expenses outrunning wage growth will definitely have an effect on many. Probably not a huge effect on the guys who live and breathe hunting (like most of the guys who are active on hunting forums) but I really think the more casual hunter will think twice and a % will opt out. Will be interesting to see how this all effects the primary “casual” out of state hunt - Colorado otc elk. Anyone know a good lift kit for one of them Prius’s?

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I was contemplating taking my youngest son on a 10 hour road trip west for a long weekend shed hunting, but probably won’t now. We’ll go ice fishing within an hour of home instead

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Everyones financial conditions are different and guys need to do what is best for their families. Im glad you posted this thread. I think too many guys are living paycheck to paycheck.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I calculated an $850 fuel bill to go hunt WT in IN. Gonna skip it. Wish it was closer.