What Makes A Big Mule Deer?????

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Personally I like wide, heavy racks and any extra trash is a bonus. When you see the really big ones there is no need for a second look through the binos.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
They are all biguns' in the"BAB" Baby!! back in the "DAY" 4 for 4 on does.
last one waiting at the weigh in station.Jacobs Lake is Golden. :cool:

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Some reason a real big typical gets my attention more than a higher scoring non typical. Big frames at long distance also are fun to see as you kinda know the next trip should find a good one. Been fortunate but it takes a 30"+ -, 195"+ - type typical buck or 210+ non typical buck.. Honestly I have a hard time even putting a stalk on a buck in the 180's as I would rather that buck have the chance at another year and I eat my share of tags due to this.

As others have said bucks with the wow factor just flat stick out in the first 2 seconds you see them even at distance. There are not a ton of them around but sure fun to run into one and to get to hunt one is a special thing.

Still looking to get a 200" typical with a bow also a buck with a 30" inside spread w a bow. Give her a go again this year if I can find a tag.

Reactions: mcseal2

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
Some reason a real big typical gets my attention more than a higher scoring non typical. Big frames at long distance also are fun to see as you kinda know the next trip should find a good one. Been fortunate but it takes a 30"+ -, 195"+ - type typical buck or 210+ non typical buck.. Honestly I have a hard time even putting a stalk on a buck in the 180's as I would rather that buck have the chance at another year and I eat my share of tags due to this.

As others have said bucks with the wow factor just flat stick out in the first 2 seconds you see them even at distance. There are not a ton of them around but sure fun to run into one and to get to hunt one is a special thing.

Still looking to get a 200" typical with a bow also a buck with a 30" inside spread w a bow. Give her a go again this year if I can find a tag.

Finding a tag/in Az/Kiabab is getting hard to do,even for a resident.:cool:

Last edited:

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Depends on the unit and who im hunting with, but my perfect buck is a wide heavy square framed buck 180 or bigger with a drop tine.

Reactions: ScottR

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I hope to prune 2 bucks out of the population in the next 6 or so years. That's it. Not a life style, just a fun trip. I like symmetrical bucks.

A perfect buck would be a symmetrical heavy beamed 4x4 with about a 24-inch spread, boxy looking rack. No idea what that would score, just what I think of when I think of a "trophy" mulie.

In real life - a normal looking 4x4 with 20+ inch spread would be hard to pass as would a high 3x3. Will see what is available.

Reactions: ScottR

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
First thing that comes to mind when I think big is that distinctive body on an old mule deer. They just look like a pig. Big mule deer have all kinds of different racks- I like them all. If i had my pick in a group, I want the giant typical with 30+" of width. That has changed through the years as a huge non-typical was my number 1 choice up until a few years ago. I was lucky enough to take one so now my day dreams have moved on.

Reactions: ScottR and mcseal2

Shooter

Feb 22, 2011
Washington
I like tall bucks, wide bucks, heavy bucks, trashy bucks, big typical bucks, big nontypical bucks, big old bucks, and everything else as long as it's big. I don't look for one thing i'm impressed by lot's of things. Big is big in my book.

CODAK

Aug 8, 2016
Johnstown, CO
Age class all day long. Talking 5+ ... young deer don't do a damn thing for me. Oh and big typicals ... I've let several 170+ 4 year olds walk. We have been fortunate to harvest a 32" inside spread buck, a 230" non typical, and a 196" typical, so nowadays, its strictly age class and whatever comes with that. Give the iconic muleys the respect they deserve to reach that tier

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Sone pics Might be in order 👍😂... Or this thread would be better w pics who has some?