What Makes A Big Mule Deer?????

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Big is big.. you know it when you see them. I am a big fan of big framed deer. I don't care if they are 30"+ width or 26".. I've seen big deer that are both. But for me, like mentioned above, it's the WOW factor that means the most to me over score. But i do prefer to let 180" deer grow if they appear young. I have 2 typicals i decided to let grow last year that both were close to 190" but were obviously young and have the possibility to be giants. I can't wait to go see if my choice paid off soon. 2765327654

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Big is big.. you know it when you see them. I am a big fan of big framed deer. I don't care if they are 30"+ width or 26".. I've seen big deer that are both. But for me, like mentioned above, it's the WOW factor that means the most to me over score. But i do prefer to let 180" deer grow if they appear young. I have 2 typicals i decided to let grow last year that both were close to 190" but were obviously young and have the possibility to be giants. I can't wait to go see if my choice paid off soon. View attachment 27653View attachment 27654
I am betting that it will. Nothing better than hoping the good became great!

Reactions: mcseal2

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Kaibab is wonderfull ! I had the late Hunt last year in the RUT. Drew with only 11 points as Resident. Early hunt is completely different . Alot tougher to find Big. Here's what I got on last light opening day. And I was happy cause I was sick as could be and it was single digits in the morning and at 62 I was afraid of getting Pnoemonia.. Went back to camp and drank Niquil for 2 days. Wentout 1 more day with the guys to Experience the Kaibab and thats all i could take 1 more day in bed then went Home to Phoenix. Happy too., G&F aged him 6and a half.........BOB!IMG_0803 (2).JPG

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I think "BIG" is subjective. A big mule deer to 1 hunter isn't very big to another. I've read thousands of magazines and watched as many hunting shows over the years with articles, pictures and video of some HUGE deer to me. I've also seen about as many claims of "BIG" deer taken or viewed by other hunters that i personally thought were just average deer. I think alot has to do with an area or zone or unit or for that matter a state one hunts in. Some hunters wouldn't shoot a 150" deer on the Arizona Strip, but would absolutely hammer him in an over the counter, public land, D.I.Y., oversubscribed deer area. So again, subjective to where you may be hunting also. It has taken me awhile to embrace everyones idea of a big deer, after all we may not know the circumstances of the hunt or the experience of the hunter in question. For a guy who lives out East and has never taken a mule deer, a 150" buck may be big to him, there is nothing wrong with that and is quite understandable. Now a guy who lives out West, hunts mule deer every year and has taken multiple 180" or bigger deer, a 150" buck isn't big to him, and that is fine and acceptable also. Each hunter has his or her own idea of what they consider a big buck is. I personally try to take into account the area,zone,unit and State for which i'm hunting and sometimes also the method, wether it be a bow, pistol or rifle. No one is right or wrong in their own ideas of what a big buck looks like. With all of that being said, the bottom line is, if the buck you shoot is big to you, that's all that matters and no one should criticise you on your choice. After all, " A big deer is in the eye of the deer holder" Good Luck and Good Hunting!

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
Personally I started off small tried to raise the bar every year. My first Muley was a 20inch 4x4 ,I was in Heaven. I have shot 3-4 a little Smaller and a 3-4 bigger. Colorado this Year and a descent tag ,We shall see then a Coues tag after Thanksgiving here in AZ,. Going to hold out for my biggest ever Hopefully...Gosh I wish I was that Young again That was 1994........................BOB!IMG_1594.JPG

Reactions: fackelberry