Toxic Mine Spill-Durango, Co

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
For those who havn't heard, a toxic brew of contaminated mine water overflowed into the Animas River near Silverton. It has gone clear to New Mexico so far. It was caused by EPA workers at an old mine. The river is closed to all water contact, irrigation needs & drinking water until further notice. It is really ugly yellow orange color.

Thought those of you coming to SW Colorado hunting might want to know. EPA has not issued any notice of what contaminates are in the water yet, just heavy metals and acids.

Durango newspaper story.....www.durangoherald.com

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
Man this stinks! We are going to be hunting not far from Farmington and Bloomfield, NM. Winder what it will do long term. Imagine if this was a private company... They would get fined until they went under.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I wouldn't expect any less from our professionals in the EPA....O'Bummer's wrecking crew. And they're worried about coal emissions.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
We will be there for early archery elk Dustin. I'll let you know but I talked to my uncle and he said it hasn't gotten into the San Juan river which is the one that may affect you. I'm just hoping it doesn't get into Navajo lake. That is an awesome fishing lake. Same with the trout on the San Juan.

NM_Archer

Jun 6, 2011
New Mexico
This spill shouldn't affect any of you guys hunting in 2B or 2C.The Animas dumps into the san juan in Farmington, so it will all be down stream of you guys. It was ugly for sure. I work in Durango and the river water is starting to clear up already. Not saying its safe but it is a start. I seen where the game and fish put some fish in cages and put them in the river in Durango before all the contaminates arrived. They pulled the cages yesterday and the fish were still alive. Hopefully we dodged a bullet as far as all the fish being killed.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If you "fine" the EPA for this, we the tax payers end up picking up the tab. I think everyone involved should take a 25% pay cut for the next year. When most of us mess up big at work, it costs us pay. Should be the same for these guys...

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
If you "fine" the EPA for this, we the tax payers end up picking up the tab. I think everyone involved should take a 25% pay cut for the next year. When most of us mess up big at work, it costs us pay. Should be the same for these guys...
Exactly, make them pay for once!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Fox news had an article on the spill on their main webpage a day or two ago. They indicated one of the Indian tribes in the area was planning on suing the EPA. The EPA spokesman was pretty flippant on his response saying the heavy metals will just sink to the bottom, no big deal. What a joke. Clean water is a big deal and regulation is needed. However, when the group that is in charge of enforcement is the same group doing the polluting, then the issue will be swept under the rug.

Dustin23633

Jun 8, 2015
Chico, Ca
Fox news had an article on the spill on their main webpage a day or two ago. They indicated one of the Indian tribes in the area was planning on suing the EPA. The EPA spokesman was pretty flippant on his response saying the heavy metals will just sink to the bottom, no big deal. What a joke. Clean water is a big deal and regulation is needed. However, when the group that is in charge of enforcement is the same group doing the polluting, then the issue will be swept under the rug.
Here in California they are taking away all of our lead, thats a heavy metal that just sinks to bottom... no big deal. How much did they fine BP for polluting? They should all take it out of their paychecks, but it will be taken out of ours most likely.