Zone X-10 Mule Deer

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Lol, at a boy that's the way to stick with it you'll eventually find them. That area had some nice trophys at one time, I'm sure they are still there just got to find their new hiding spots. I'll let you know if I hear about any good areas to try.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Lol, at a boy that's the way to stick with it you'll eventually find them. That area had some nice trophys at one time, I'm sure they are still there just got to find their new hiding spots. I'll let you know if I hear about any good areas to try.
Thanks, Bigshot. It will be a challenge to get one close enough to kill with a handgun! Seems like everyone thinks you have to shoot them at 500+ yards!

Brushstomper

Mar 21, 2014
There are some good bucks up there they are just few and far between. Beautiful looking country for sure. Did you guys do any good up there? Does anyone know the name of the packer up there? Thanks!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
There are some good bucks up there they are just few and far between. Beautiful looking country for sure. Did you guys do any good up there? Does anyone know the name of the packer up there? Thanks!
I did not get drawn for X-10 last year. Another forum member did, and my recollection is that he did not see a buck. Colorado Cowboy knows the name of the packer you are looking for.

Found this on another thread (posted by Chief Gobbler) I can also vouch for Kennedy Meadows Pack Station and Owner Matt Bloom. I have done many day trips and many friends have used him for hunting trips. His brother Josh Bloom who operates Aspen Meadow Pack Station ( I have used him for packing into the Emigrant Wilderness for many years as they are closer to our hunting area). Both are great people with first class equipment and stock

Last edited:

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I pulled X-10 last year, saw several already dead deer and saw 1 live buck as I was heading home for the last time...almost hit him with my truck. Onne guy got a deer, but had to leave it on the mountain overnight. All he got from that was the head, a bear ate the rest of it.

From the guys that I talked to, the majority of the deer are up high, i.e., 2,000+ft climb and 3+ miles in, it's wilderness area, so you either pack in, ride a horse(s) or find somebody to pack you in.

It's also very crowded around Monache.

Another forum member also went up to Monache last year and had somebody take a shot over his head at a deer he was tracking.

There's a packer that works at the very northern end of X-10, called Horseshoe Meadow, but you're looking at a minimum of $500 per horse per day for them, unless you can work some kind of deal with them. I forget the name of the packer, but it's easy to look up, they're out of Lone Pine.

The trailhead is at 9,200 feet, the lowest pass getting out of the trailhead is 10,400ft, again, all wilderness area.

I went up there first last year, according talking to a packer there, there are some nice bucks, but it's tough hiking (at least it was with 100+lbs of kit and no acclimation to the altitude).

I didn't get a chance to do much scouting before hand and the problem I found is that you have to get up over one of the passes and down into the next meadow or out on to a ridgeline. Because of all the trees, you have to get a good distance back in order to see anything, and if you find one, you have to go back up to get him. If you get one, you're looking at several trips over the pass and back to get him and your gear out.

Certainly not impossible, but requires a good bit of work and/or outside assistance.

I'd like to go up again, but I would want to see if I could work a deal with the packer to haul food and water in for me so that I could go in with over a week's worth and set up a base camp to work out of.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
According to the 2014 Big Game Digest, there were no second choice X-10 tags last year. The Digest shows an 8.5% success rate. There were 400 tags issued and 17 bucks killed. My calculator calls that 4.25%. Not good enough for my first pick. Check the numbers before you apply!

Last edited:

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
I must be getting "oldtimers" disease, I put in for X-10 as my #2 choice. Maybe all those bucks in the water deficient areas will move a little closer to the Crystal Geyser factory! (LOL)

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
I must be getting "oldtimers" disease, I put in for X-10 as my #2 choice. Maybe all those bucks in the water deficient areas will move a little closer to the Crystal Geyser factory! (LOL)
The Hunting Gods have punished me for my rash comments, and have burdened me with another X-10 tag. Everyone tells me it is a crappy zone (I know), but you never can tell what might come stumbling your way. From my previous X-10 experience, I have learned to hunt longer, harder, and further (from the road) (LOL). Looking forward to it.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
The Hunting Gods have punished me for my rash comments, and have burdened me with another X-10 tag. Everyone tells me it is a crappy zone (I know), but you never can tell what might come stumbling your way. From my previous X-10 experience, I have learned to hunt longer, harder, and further (from the road) (LOL). Looking forward to it.
Congrats (I think) :) I wasn't sure what the drill schedule was this year, so I didn't apply for anything, I'll just do over the counter (D8). But next year, I hope to get X-10 and go in through Horseshoe Meadow again, with better prep ahead of time...

Good luck hunting this year.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Congrats (I think) :) I wasn't sure what the drill schedule was this year, so I didn't apply for anything, I'll just do over the counter (D8). But next year, I hope to get X-10 and go in through Horseshoe Meadow again, with better prep ahead of time...

Good luck hunting this year.
When I get the herd located, I will let you know!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Due to spending a large amount of time out of state dealing with my Mother's Estate, I have done no scouting or shooting, and not enough conditioning this year. In short. I am ceding all advantages to the deer that might exist in this zone (if any). Eight days until D (Deer) day. The 30-06 pistol awaits its opportunity! Stay tuned!

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Back from the wasteland that California DFG passes off as a "Limited Draw Zone". Three days of hard hunting with near freezing temperatures at night and daytime temps. approaching ninety degrees. All of this above 8,000 feet. Driest conditions that I have seen anywhere. The South Fork of the Kern River is dry where it (used to) flow through Kennedy Meadows. Many of the hunters pulled out on Friday night or Saturday Morning. Pine trees are so dry the bark is splitting open and the trees are bleeding pine sap through the cuts. Whole area declared a no fire zone. Only propane stoves are allowed. This area is just a loose match, or lightening strike away from the big burn. Ran into 5 guys from different areas hiking out of the Sequoia Wilderness on Friday evening. One was a local who said this was his fifth hunt in X-10 this year without a buck sighting. All were swearing off of this area for good. I might do that too, or might give it one more chance!:rolleyes: I heard of one buck being killed in the neighboring zone (D-8)which was a large bodied 3 x 2 with a very small rack. Likely due to lack of water. Saw five deer in three days-all does and yearlings. Another missed chance at the trifecta. Blacktail in Zone B-2 next week.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
that sucks..... sorry to hear about your hunt. You should go back when the area gets some weather.
Not bummed out about it. Would liked to have collared a Muley, but I met a couple of nice guys from Northern CA, and a couple from Riverside County, so it was an enjoyable trip. We did all agree that the kill numbers on D-14 are rising while some of the "Premium Limited Draw Zones" kill numbers are falling, so you may have company next year! :rolleyes: The moisture situation in the Sierras is dire. Perhaps El No-No will help it to some degree, but that remains to be seen. Hope you do well this year.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Time to dust off this old thread. Took a Holiday from X-10 last year because of previous poor years, and wanting to hunt D-14 (which I did not do). With all of the rumors about snowpack in the neighboring areas, I thought this might be a good time to try for another X-10 tag.. Just waiting for the draw

Fins_N_Tines

Aug 26, 2016
Yup I applied as well. If I don't get it I'm ok with taking the point as well since I've been planning a few D zone hunts. If I get drawn than I'll have to refocus my maps and scouting to x10.