Zone X-10 Mule Deer

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I drew a Zone X-10 tag in California for the regular (not late) season. Any information on that area would be appreciated. It is adjacent to Hwy 395, and extends west to the Kern River. Mostly in wilderness areas. I had this posted in the Mule Deer Forum, but it is getting lost over there. Thanks.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I drew a Zone X-10 tag in California for the regular (not late) season. Any information on that area would be appreciated. It is adjacent to Hwy 395, and extends west to the Kern River. Mostly in wilderness areas. I had this posted in the Mule Deer Forum, but it is getting lost over there. Thanks.
Yeah, needs to be in Ca. section. I already told you what I know. Hopefully somebody else will pipe in. All I know is it's going to be hot dammit ! I hate hot weather ! Especially for hunting .

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey Sawfish, I don't know how much money you want to spend, but there is a Pack Station you can rent located in Kennedy Meadows. I believe they charge approximately $1,200.00 per person. They will pack you and your gear into the Olancha Peak area, which is loaded with big bucks. They will pick you up a week later and check on you during the week. I also found out the jeep road leading into Monache Mountain is open. I used to shoot all my deer on and around Monache Mountain. Just be sure and take a 4-wheel drive in there with a set of chains in case it snows. Good Luck.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Thanks bigshot. I have been getting the Jeep ready, and have packed two sets of chains so I can chain up all four if necessary. I was wondering if any of the packers would still be working in October. You answered my question.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Thanks bigshot. I have been getting the Jeep ready, and have packed two sets of chains so I can chain up all four if necessary. I was wondering if any of the packers would still be working in October. You answered my question.
Hey Saw,
It snowed the last couple of days of season there on Oct. 8 and 9th. Got first early storm of the year. All the Sierra X zones got up to a foot at higher elivations. The areas bigshot mentioned used to be great 20 yrs ago when I hunted X10 a few times. Last time I hunted there was 13 yrs ago. Before that they used to call Kennedy Meadows the deer factory ???
Bigshot,
When was the last time you hunted X10 ?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey Saw,
It snowed the last couple of days of season there on Oct. 8 and 9th. Got first early storm of the year. All the Sierra X zones got up to a foot at higher elivations. The areas bigshot mentioned used to be great 20 yrs ago when I hunted X10 a few times. Last time I hunted there was 13 yrs ago. Before that they used to call Kennedy Meadows the deer factory ???
Bigshot,
When was the last time you hunted X10 ?
Last time I hunted X10 was about 25 years ago, but I have friends that have hunted it the early and late season the past few years. They also told me about the Pack Station horses they rented, guess if you have money its the way to go.

That's why its always important to scout before the season every year no matter how long you've been hunting an area. Time changes things, year to year. My brother and I will be putting in for X10 as our second choice next year. I always put in for G6 as my first choice which is the unit next to X10, and a late season hunt.

Last edited:

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
There is a particular G zone I always put in for first choce as well. Some of those G zones take many many years to draw!
And sometimes you just don't live long enough to outlast everyone else with max points. I am planning a CA Elk hunt for my 85th Birthday (only 20 more years). That will be right after my Goodale deer tag. (LOL)

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
And sometimes you just don't live long enough to outlast everyone else with max points. I am planning a CA Elk hunt for my 85th Birthday (only 20 more years). That will be right after my Goodale deer tag. (LOL)
LOL !
Don't say that Sawfish ! Got my bighorn and antelope. Want a dang tule elk tag now ! have max pts. Maybe 10 yrs. okay ? Took me 13 for antelope and 10 of it was with max pts. I may have told you this but don't hate me for it :) I drew my bighorn tag in 2002 , the first year they were going to give points and 3 times as many people put in. Sometimes the hunt God's have to smile on you. Or is it the F&G God's ??? I'm ready for X12. Leaving 9/13. Hope my luck holds out . Sawfish , aren't you shooting Lionfish yet ?
That was pretty neat looking buck bigshot.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Ok. Don't want to make you give up your secret ;)
In the random draw, do you have to have no points ? I told you about the guy who drew a tule elk archery tag with no points and killed a nice 6x6.

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Ok. Don't want to make you give up your secret ;)
In the random draw, do you have to have no points ? I told you about the guy who drew a tule elk archery tag with no points and killed a nice 6x6.
I have a few points, maybe even "I" will get luckey someday? or even worse I'll probley end up drawing all my premium tags in the same year! I would have to quit my job! Because who knows how long I'd have to wait to draw them tags again.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I have a few points, maybe even "I" will get luckey someday? or even worse I'll probley end up drawing all my premium tags in the same year! I would have to quit my job! Because who knows how long I'd have to wait to draw them tags again.
Are you insinuating I was lucky this year ? LOL ! I've done that a few times in my life. It's never been a problem of vacation time at work. It's been the $$$ for the out of state trips. Especially the last few yrs. with the price of fuel. Diesel fuel in particular. I think this yr. was one of them with Ca. antelope tag, X12 deer tag and Wy. 125 deer tag. So glad I didn't draw Az. and applied for the firsst time for points only in Ut. in 30 yrs. . I'd of been screwed !

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Are you insinuating I was lucky this year ? LOL ! I've done that a few times in my life. It's never been a problem of vacation time at work. It's been the $$$ for the out of state trips. Especially the last few yrs. with the price of fuel. Diesel fuel in particular. I think this yr. was one of them with Ca. antelope tag, X12 deer tag and Wy. 125 deer tag. So glad I didn't draw Az. and applied for the firsst time for points only in Ut. in 30 yrs. . I'd of been screwed !
I know what you mean HuntWYODon, I'm going to Wyoming for antelope and Colorado for elk this year. Glad I didn't draw Utah or Arizona, or I'd be selling some of my kids to pay for the trip!!

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
I know what you mean HuntWYODon, I'm going to Wyoming for antelope and Colorado for elk this year. Glad I didn't draw Utah or Arizona, or I'd be selling some of my kids to pay for the trip!!
LMAO ! CRAP, I as praying I didn't draw AZ. for the first time ever in my llife ! Hope you got a couple antelope doe tags too. Man, I haven't been to Co. for elk since 1995 in Meeker ! What area do you have in Wy. for lope ? I have a lope doe tag in 78 . missed getting one in 81 like usual. Had buck tag in 81 in 2010. I put in for pts. only in Ut. for first time in 30 yrs., thank God ! Hope you do well in your hunts and post pics !