Your Best Buck!!!!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
what is best ? I was most pumped on my first which was a lil 2x2 mulie.
best eating was a corn fed whitetail buck.

biggest is a respectable 4x4 mulie . not a monster but it'll do.

I have never been one to chase the bone .
not that there is anything wrong with that!

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Wow, there are some great bucks in this thread. My biggest muley isn't huge, but I enjoy looking at him on the wall and remembering the hunt. I was hunting alone that day (November in the Texas Panhandle. At sunup it was about 22 degrees and calm. No deer movement anywhere I could see from up on top of the ridge in the background of this pic. As I was sitting there glassing, a falcon came cruising by along the ridgeline. He saw me move my head, and then he circled me 3 or 4 times at eye level about 15' away. Then he went on his way. It was a pretty cool experience. Unusual. I felt like it was a lucky sign.

About a minute later, 2 bucks appeared up the draw. They worked their way down below me at about 400 yards. Then they turned and started up a trail away from me toward the other side of the draw. I had my pack laid out on the rock in front of me, and it was a great rest. I checked my Strelok app for elevation, held over for that and let a 140gr AccuBond fly from my 7mag. I hit the buck in the front shoulder low, even with the brisket. He stayed on his feet, so I let another one fly. Hit. Still standing. Another. Hit. Still standing. Another. Hit. Still standing. Unbelievable. Another shot. Another hit. And he finally went down, but his head was still up. So I shot one more time, and that one finished him. Finally.

When I climbed down to him, I could almost see daylight through his shoulder/lower chest. I shot a great group, but they were all about 4" lower than center of his chest. His heart was still blown to bits. I don't know how he stood so long. I realized later that my data for my load in the Strelok app was gathered when I sighted the rifle in a few months earlier when the temps were in the low 90s. I didn't enter the current temp into the app when I did the calculation. I went to the app and put in the same shot, but with a temp of 25 degrees, and then it told me to hold 4" higher than it did when I shot the deer. Guess the app is pretty accurate if you feed it good data. :D :D

Lesson learned.

Attachments

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Wow, there are some great bucks in this thread. My biggest muley isn't huge, but I enjoy looking at him on the wall and remembering the hunt. I was hunting alone that day (November in the Texas Panhandle. At sunup it was about 22 degrees and calm. No deer movement anywhere I could see from up on top of the ridge in the background of this pic. As I was sitting there glassing, a falcon came cruising by along the ridgeline. He saw me move my head, and then he circled me 3 or 4 times at eye level about 15' away. Then he went on his way. It was a pretty cool experience. Unusual. I felt like it was a lucky sign.

About a minute later, 2 bucks appeared up the draw. They worked their way down below me at about 400 yards. Then they turned and started up a trail away from me toward the other side of the draw. I had my pack laid out on the rock in front of me, and it was a great rest. I checked my Strelok app for elevation, held over for that and let a 140gr AccuBond fly from my 7mag. I hit the buck in the front shoulder low, even with the brisket. He stayed on his feet, so I let another one fly. Hit. Still standing. Another. Hit. Still standing. Another. Hit. Still standing. Unbelievable. Another shot. Another hit. And he finally went down, but his head was still up. So I shot one more time, and that one finished him. Finally.

When I climbed down to him, I could almost see daylight through his shoulder/lower chest. I shot a great group, but they were all about 4" lower than center of his chest. His heart was still blown to bits. I don't know how he stood so long. I realized later that my data for my load in the Strelok app was gathered when I sighted the rifle in a few months earlier when the temps were in the low 90s. I didn't enter the current temp into the app when I did the calculation. I went to the app and put in the same shot, but with a temp of 25 degrees, and then it told me to hold 4" higher than it did when I shot the deer. Guess the app is pretty accurate if you feed it good data. :D :D

Lesson learned.
nice story n pic.
nice buck too

Reactions: Shane13

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Nebraska public land buck from 2017.

I had hunted this area since 2011 and tagged just one mule deer in that time.

Opening morning I decided to walk as far back off the road as possible and set up high to glass.

Around 8 AM opening morning I spotted this buck with several does across the valley.

Packed up all my gear and put the stalk on...Managed to get what I thought was "close"...turned out to be 450 yards away...too long for my taste...so I circled down behind a few hills and continued my stalk.

Belly-crawled to the top of a small rise...but could not see any of the deer. Waited...and waited...

Finally a doe walked from behind a small hill...then another doe. Then a small buck (that surely was not the buck I had glassed, was it??)

About a minute later this buck emerged, and started walking up the hill.

Ranged him at 212 yards. Steadied the 7MAG on bi-pod and squeezed the trigger.

Heard a *thump* as the bullet slammed in to his ribs...and down he went!!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Nebraska public land buck from 2017.

I had hunted this area since 2011 and tagged just one mule deer in that time.

Opening morning I decided to walk as far back off the road as possible and set up high to glass.

Around 8 AM opening morning I spotted this buck with several does across the valley.

Packed up all my gear and put the stalk on...Managed to get what I thought was "close"...turned out to be 450 yards away...too long for my taste...so I circled down behind a few hills and continued my stalk.

Belly-crawled to the top of a small rise...but could not see any of the deer. Waited...and waited...

Finally a doe walked from behind a small hill...then another doe. Then a small buck (that surely was not the buck I had glassed, was it??)

About a minute later this buck emerged, and started walking up the hill.

Ranged him at 212 yards. Steadied the 7MAG on bi-pod and squeezed the trigger.

Heard a *thump* as the bullet slammed in to his ribs...and down he went!!

View attachment 42030
I remember when you posted that buck the first time! That buck is a stud!

Reactions: Sawfish and Daubs