Wyoming Corner Hopping Turns Into Hunter Harassment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019

Written by Todd Helms

The Carbon County, Wyoming corner hopping saga involving four Missouri hunters and the Elk Mountain Ranch continues to evolve as claims of hunter harassment are now being brought into play.

“Ranch employees spied on them to the point they couldn’t relieve themselves in private, stalked the group, harassed them in their tent, swore, yelled and intimidated them and caused one deer they were pursuing to run off, according to the allegations.”

We may never know the truth of what happened last fall in Carbon County but one thing is for certain, the results of this case could change the landscape of public access in western states dramatically.

If in fact Elk Mountain Ranch employees are guilty of hunter harassment then the slope toward a dismissal of the trespassing charges just got greasier. However, if the Missouri hunters are lying or even embellishing the truth, a big old black eye is about to be painted on public land advocates. Right now this is a classic case of “he said, she said” and the truth lies somewhere beyond the horizon.

I personally hope that no matter the outcome of this case sportsmen and women remember that both private landowners and public land supporters are in the same boat when it comes to wildlife conservation and the future of hunting. We need respect, open discourse, understanding and grace if we are to do what is right for wildlife in the increasingly complex private vs public land debate.

For more details:

http://www.buffalobulletin.com/news/article_0191451e-85dc-11ec-a4a3-db8dedadf2f2.html

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I would have 100% taken video of said harassment with my cell phone......Just saying. (Hopefully they did)

I aint got time for some idiot wanna be cowboy to ruin my vacation.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I can see the cowboys doign stupid stuff - not cause they are cowboys but folks who think they have the right to do stuff usually go overboard and act like loonys.

A video would clear this up quickly.

I still don't agree with the corner crossing thing - the WY hunt mapper comments sections on the units tells folks that corner crossing isn't legal. The corner crossers don't have much to stand on.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Crappy situation here. I definitely would have taken video of this to back up my story. The whole situation makes us as hunters look stupid though.....there is no need for this kind of crap. All of us hunters should be on the same page promoting ethical hunting and management. It’s definitely not the first time I’ve heard of private land owners acting like they own the whole county! I’ve experienced it as well and it sucks. For the 4 gentlemen, if they are telling the truth, that just leaves a sour spot for them. Guys are just trying to hunt and have a good time, but some assclowns gotta ruin it!!

Reactions: Prerylyon

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I do believe corner crossing should be legal. That said, these 4 guys knew they were going to ruffle feathers crossing where they did and likely expected some of the harassments they received. Surely knowing that they brought along a camera, or at minimum, a good phone to take video.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
As to the harassment, I can tell you after conversations with the chief game warden, they don't file these charges without rock solid proof, period.

I think its pretty irresponsible "journalism" to even make a claim these guys from MO are potentially lying about anything. In conversations with all of them, on this entire issue, they've been totally honest. The public record confirms what they've told us up to this point, including the harassment charges.

Some of the comments made by Grende pretty well paints the picture that he's inclined to harass hunters apparently with no objection from the landowner.

The 4 NR hunters only wanted one thing , and that's to be left alone to hunt PUBLIC land, they weren't trying to make a point, they're hunters that were hunting public land.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I do believe corner crossing should be legal. That said, these 4 guys knew they were going to ruffle feathers crossing where they did and likely expected some of the harassments they received. Surely knowing that they brought along a camera, or at minimum, a good phone to take video.
Not true at all, they did the same thing the year prior after telling the GW and Sheriff exactly what they were doing.

Did the same thing this past fall and killed both elk and deer on public.

They aren't trouble makers...end of story.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
As to the harassment, I can tell you after conversations with the chief game warden, they don't file these charges without rock solid proof, period.

I think its pretty irresponsible "journalism" to even make a claim these guys from MO are potentially lying about anything. In conversations with all of them, on this entire issue, they've been totally honest. The public record confirms what they've told us up to this point, including the harassment charges.

Some of the comments made by Grende pretty well paints the picture that he's inclined to harass hunters apparently with no objection from the landowner.

The 4 NR hunters only wanted one thing , and that's to be left alone to hunt PUBLIC land, they weren't trying to make a point, they're hunters that were hunting public land.
My hunting party and I have had similar problems years ago with a land owner in the Southern Bighorns. We weren’t corner crossing, we had permission from one of his neighbors to cross his land to access a large chunk of public land. The gentleman who gave us permission even called him to tell him we had his permission. It really sucks the enjoyment out of a hunt when locals set out to screw with you.
I am happy to see the BHA stepping up to help these guys! Thank you!

Reactions: BuzzH and Prerylyon

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
lots of landowners around here think the land that boarders theirs is also theirs. they will try to run folks off but they're mostly bluff and back down when stood up to.

just make sure your legal.
landowners........... and hunters for that matter, are no different the vast majority of the population.
most are scumbags and will try to get away with anything they can!

Last edited:

JM77

Apr 25, 2016
Casper, Wyoming
@todd Helms To even insinuate these hunters are "lying" without knowing the facts or having a source to verify that, you associate yourself with much of the garbage we see on social media these days. Anyone who lives in Wyoming knows the high level of evidence required for G&F to recommend charges for hunter harassment, especially in such a high profile case. These hunters went out of their way to not only contact law enforcement, but made absolutely certain they wouldn't touch private land. These hunters were very much harassed by Elk Mountain Ranch employees, of that you can be certain.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I'd say in about 48 hours Helms is going to look pretty silly with those comments...just sayin'.

Reactions: JM77

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Not true at all, they did the same thing the year prior after telling the GW and Sheriff exactly what they were doing.

Did the same thing this past fall and killed both elk and deer on public.

They aren't trouble makers...end of story.
I never claimed they were trouble makers in any way. I believe you are misunderstanding what I wrote. My point was they knew there was a potential to attract attention so they likely had a way to document what took place - hence why proof likely exists that they were harassed.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Don't sweat it Hilltop. What you said made sense.
Same for Todd Helms, who just wrote an article to give us the info and provoke discussion.
Todd said, "If in fact Elk Mountain Ranch employees are..." and "if the Missouri hunters are lying ...", the key word at the beginning of both sentences is "If". He didn't accuse anyone of anything. BuzzH just likes to argue ... best to ignore him.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I had a local get smart with me one time. And it was only one time and he was shown the error of his ways and I’ll leave it at that.
I’m assuming this may have helped future hunters who followed in my footsteps. However ignorance runs deep…

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Don't sweat it Hilltop. What you said made sense.
Same for Todd Helms, who just wrote an article to give us the info and provoke discussion.
Todd said, "If in fact Elk Mountain Ranch employees are..." and "if the Missouri hunters are lying ...", the key word at the beginning of both sentences is "If". He didn't accuse anyone of anything. BuzzH just likes to argue ... best to ignore him.
What I'm tired of is people spreading a bunch of crap about the 4 hunters when you don't even know what happened and have never even talked to the guys.

The 66 page motion to dismiss has all the details and I've personally vetted the 4 hunters story in personal conversations along with the entire BHA board and a couple other folks directly involved in the case.

Facts matter, and if that ruffles your feathers...so be it. Innuendo and street gossip are not helping this situation at all.

These guys wanted one thing and one thing only, a peaceful hunt on PUBLIC LAND...and I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Again, they aren't trouble makers, and what you, Helms, and the rest of the Sportsmen and citizens in the US should be doing is rallying behind these guys in support of what's our birthright, our public lands.

These 4 guys, ONE Wyoming sportsmen's group, along with 1600+ individuals have stepped up big to fight for public lands.

Stick to the facts, they matter.

Reactions: taskswap

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
What I'm tired of is people spreading a bunch of crap about the 4 hunters when you don't even know what happened and have never even talked to the guys.

The 66 page motion to dismiss has all the details and I've personally vetted the 4 hunters story in personal conversations along with the entire BHA board and a couple other folks directly involved in the case.

Facts matter, and if that ruffles your feathers...so be it. Innuendo and street gossip are not helping this situation at all.

These guys wanted one thing and one thing only, a peaceful hunt on PUBLIC LAND...and I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Again, they aren't trouble makers, and what you, Helms, and the rest of the Sportsmen and citizens in the US should be doing is rallying behind these guys in support of what's our birthright, our public lands.

These 4 guys, ONE Wyoming sportsmen's group, along with 1600+ individuals have stepped up big to fight for public lands.

Stick to the facts, they matter.
Hiking a ladder out to a corner crossing with 2 signs, a chain, and a padlock is a strange way to look for a peaceful hunt.

I'm hoping positive change comes from their case. I hope people can legally access the public parcels requiring corner crossing in the future without fear of harassment. However I don't believe for a minute they didn't think they would attract attention by doing it.

Reactions: DRUSS and kidoggy
Status
Not open for further replies.