WY 90/10 Deer/Elk/Antelope Question

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would have been a 3 rd generation wyomingite but my grandfather decided to move to central Colorado in the early 40’s just after my father was born. Who can blame him as Aspen and the Roaring Fork valley is just a bit nicer place to exist than Rock Springs or even Alpine 😂 for that matter. .. Point being if your family spent 3-4 generations in Wyo you deserve 90-10..

Wyo can do what it wants. I have quite a few points and if this change happens the wife and I can pry make 4 trips over 4 years and use guides for elk maybe deer. Going to be interesting to be the guide/owner that gets to deal w me for a deer hunt lol = better have a 200”, bust, or get the hell out my way 😂👍🦄.. Who knows we could retire up there for hunting but then again read the first paragraph or that’s still very very true…

Things are a changin all over. Colorado sent 90-10 to the commission and I bet we get 80-20 w total elimination of otc elk and pry 90-10 for deer in the next 5 year. Again totally fair to non residents.

Or I guess overall the 90-10 will have little impact on me as a nr. I will still use my small peer group to chase a much better quality of deer than there is in wyo every year here in Co.. All members of our little hunting group could live anywhere just to hunt deer and flat out wyo does not have the consistency in quality that Colorado does. I doubt even slaughtering the bucks on Thanksgiving here will change that.

I like the transferable lo tags or year I should be getting another 3-4 late or rifle season deer lo tags in a great area - from a buddy who is just happy not to have to file the paperwork anymore. Along w the ones I get for archery
it will fill out the year. So I guess I don’t have the time to bitch or worry about what Wyoming boys want to do w their wildlife as I am serious enough to have made a life chasing bigger ones here in Co. Or if done right almost no one no matter how good has the time to hunt more than one state and these “professional hunters” w 4 elk tags and 3 deer tags in a year are actually the problem. Nr expectations need to change.

Funny for me but the full court press of apply apply apply for every western state is finally get in seen as hustle it is.. Seems the only purpose is to bring in lemmings and make money for the folks who want nothing more than to monetize the experience…

Also I edited that to say there are obviously no big elk in Colorado just deer.. Or here is the bull that got the best of me archery in 2021…. View attachment 40251Good luck to you Wyoming boys w your chosen path.
Dang, that's one heck of a bull.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I can answer for him as most of us who live here have our own strategies. In places like Tennessee or Texas one license comes with most of the options all on one. For instance I could never afford it when I was a student there but I looked into a NR hunting license. That license allowed me 3 turkeys, 2 buck whitetail deer depending on the county I was in and several does depending on management objectives. If I remember right other species were on there as well.

In Wyoming rather than lump it all into one we have to apply for each separately and can look at different areas of the state. Personally I apply for some hard to draw antlerless tags with others that are easier to get but have tougher access to fill my freezer. I used to wait for leftovers but just apply up front, way easier on the mind that way.

So nothing new, just different places and management plans.
I apply for about 5 diff FL deer tags annually (archery, ML, rifle, and then some special quota areas with their own regulations), and probably could find more to apply for - we have a 2nd draw and then a leftover pile as well - have been able to score some leftovers in the past. Also could apply for hogs and turkey. Just have a given radius where it is worth it to me to drive to hunt - not gonna get all worked up and drive 2+ hours each way over a 100# deer or hog.

Most i have ever drawn is 3 in a calendar year. Should draw 2, with a possibility for a #3 this year.

Pls remember that these are 3 to 5 day quota hunts. Not week or 10-day seasons. Just a 5 day weekend for archery and 3 day weekend for ML or rifle.

Most hunters don't take the time to understand the draw process in their own states, let alone states they are nr in.

I take the time to understand the process in every state I apply in. When you savvy the process you get tags.
That's why I asked. You know what you are up to.

Not really interested in more than the speed goat these days, so I'm not up on everyone's draw process. Just that one.

Reactions: BuzzH

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I apply for about 5 diff FL deer tags annually (archery, ML, rifle, and then some special quota areas with their own regulations), and probably could find more to apply for - we have a 2nd draw and then a leftover pile as well - have been able to score some leftovers in the past. Also could apply for hogs and turkey. Just have a given radius where it is worth it to me to drive to hunt - not gonna get all worked up and drive 2+ hours each way over a 100# deer or hog.

Most i have ever drawn is 3 in a calendar year. Should draw 2, with a possibility for a #3 this year.

Pls remember that these are 3 to 5 day quota hunts. Not week or 10-day seasons. Just a 5 day weekend for archery and 3 day weekend for ML or rifle.

That's why I asked. You know what you are up to.

Not really interested in more than the speed goat these days, so I'm not up on everyone's draw process. Just that one.
Its pretty amazing how poorly people understand the draw processes and what all the options and tags that are available.

You see it all the time on boards like this, people asking things like, "Want to hunt bull elk in Wyoming how do I get a tag OTC"...stuff like that.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The biggest issue is education, especially related to the assumption that it works the same way as their home state. It just takes research in all honesty which is time consuming.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The whole 90/10 thing does chap my a$$ for sure but what truly chaps it is the outfitter welfare that is being proposed...that in itself is a COMPLETE JOKE.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am guessing because I have no data to back me up, but I'll bet the outfitters couldn't sell near as many hunts as the 50% that they would get if this passes. If you start looking and start to book a hunt, most tell you "I'm booked " for several years. They will probably sell them like landowners do here in Colorado.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I am guessing because I have no data to back me up, but I'll bet the outfitters couldn't sell near as many hunts as the 50% that they would get if this passes. If you start looking and start to book a hunt, most tell you "I'm booked " for several years. They will probably sell them like landowners do here in Colorado.
They claim it will end up about equal but I have my doubts. The reality is they will now be guaranteed about the same number that they have been getting along with anyone who happens to draw in the other pool who decides to book a guide. It would have to result in a higher number. Another question is how do they decide to divide up the tags? Guessing some outfitters without influence get the shaft while others will do very well. Just seems like a bad idea from so many angles...

manitou1

Mar 21, 2017
United States
Outside of a few select LE tags, don’t Wyoming residents get handed cheap general tags for most species such as antelope, deer, and elk in 90% of the state?This is in addition to landowner tags which do not go through the draw.
I understand the issue with moose, sheep and goat. However changes to the system will only have a minor impact but it is WY’s choice to make.

Not trying to stir the pot here but just my observation as a non-resident. It’s like this in most states with the exception of a few.
No, we don't. Antelope are draw only. There is no antelope general. Gen elk is but a few (schit ty) areas. General deer has good areas in the Western part of the state... if one doesn't mind driving 6-8 hrs.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Guaranteed tags through outfitters will primarily serve to up the cost even more. They will be sold to what the market will bear, just like landowner tags. The common man will just have to suck it up, plan, spend, and save for years, and hope that the rules of the game don't change. I hope not, but this year may well be my last hurrah.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Guaranteed tags through outfitters will primarily serve to up the cost even more. They will be sold to what the market will bear, just like landowner tags. The common man will just have to suck it up, plan, spend, and save for years, and hope that the rules of the game don't change. I hope not, but this year may well be my last hurrah.
Yup, I realized that saving for some outfitted hunts was going to do more for my chances than playing points games. And that is fine, just have to save like crazy.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
No, we don't. Antelope are draw only. There is no antelope general. Gen elk is but a few (schit ty) areas. General deer has good areas in the Western part of the state... if one doesn't mind driving 6-8 hrs.
When I first hunt Wyoming as a nonresident in 1980, we could buy doe/fawn antelope & deer tags over the counter at almost any store or gas station in the state. As I remember they were $5.00 ea and you could buy 6 each. Those days are long gone for sure.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Yup, I realized that saving for some outfitted hunts was going to do more for my chances than playing points games. And that is fine, just have to save like crazy.
Scott

Don’t you live in the north west corner of Wyoming? It can’t be all that bad brother come on now lol

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
They claim it will end up about equal but I have my doubts. The reality is they will now be guaranteed about the same number that they have been getting along with anyone who happens to draw in the other pool who decides to book a guide. It would have to result in a higher number. Another question is how do they decide to divide up the tags? Guessing some outfitters without influence get the shaft while others will do very well. Just seems like a bad idea from so many angles...
So, around 8400 total guided hunts a year in Wyoming. 3014 elk hunts, 2600ish pronghorn and 2553 deer.

Going 90/10 would result in about the same number of tags going to their clients with the exception of pronghorn and possibly deer, which would see significant increases.

How they divide the tags is the question. Sy wants WOGA to have the authority to set regulations on who gets the outfitter set asides.

The whole thing is a joke and as much as I would like to see some of the habitual NR whiners take a good thumpin' on 90-10, I just don't have the heart to see them thumped that hard. So, I/We will be opposing 90/10 for deer, elk and pronghorn as well as outfitter set-asides. I reserve the right to change my mind in the future if tag numbers continue to fall and resident opportunity decreases. Its just not warranted at the current time.

This is going to be interesting, and I can say for sure outfitter set asides will not happen stand alone, but I think it has a chance to pass if 90-10 is packaged with the outfitter set asides. Lots of residents are looking for more opportunity, just not sure they're ready to give outfitters a set aside to do it. We'll see I reckon.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
When I first hunt Wyoming as a nonresident in 1980, we could buy doe/fawn antelope & deer tags over the counter at almost any store or gas station in the state. As I remember they were $5.00 ea and you could buy 6 each. Those days are long gone for sure.
When I first moved to Wyoming in 2000, I could pick up a pronghorn buck tag and 2 doe tags the day I decided to hunt in a very good area that is now taking NR's 3-4 points to draw.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Scott

Don’t you live in the north west corner of Wyoming? It can’t be all that bad brother come on now lol
I'm talking for moose, sheep, etc. Based on my age and lack of income when I wasn't able to get in as a teen like my peers, so doing math I realized that it was far more feasible for me to save and get a moose somewhere in North Country etc. Simple math on that one.

And no, it's not bad here. I have zero complaints.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
It will be interesting what dominoes fall after 90-10 for wyo. I first hand heard the cpw tell the a group working on allocation that the cpw and Colorado is so money flush we don’t need to worry about nr license sales when it comes to allocation.

The working group came back w a recommendation of 90-10 and eliminating otc elk tags. I bet we will see 80-20 for elk and 90-10 for deer only fair. Only disagreement was from a outfitter who wanted 50/50 and was laughed out of the room…

I do feel bad for nr hunters but with every state touching Co only giving out 10% to nr it is time but will no doubt have a impact on the huge amount of nr that are able to hunt co.

Just the way hunting is going.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I do think the changes (WY, CO, etc.) will take out many of the guys who don't "live to hunt".

The guys with short attention spans.

Guys without a lot of time left to play. Planning for years is what many of us did and just didn't start early enough. Started wanting in 1978, antelope hunt in 2017 with only doe tag, muley hunt 2019, buck antelope hunt coming in 2023 if all goes well. I aint gonna wait 8-10 years to hunt again, not happening.

Then there is the money thing - after all we are talking guides getting privileges and the politicians working towards that. Guide prices are going up, tag prices are going up. Definitely have $,$$$ caps on hunting trips.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hear ya. I have 7 kids. Yeah, me and my wife have only ourselves to blame there lol blah blah blah Yeah, I have a good job blah blah blah, but at some point it will cost too much. I hope WY re-thinks this. I will whine about it. lol

I went on an outfitted hunt in 2014, on some stock options I cashed in, and I got a 'respectable for me' muley; I would pay an outfitter for bull elk, but that's it. I've proven I can DIY does in junk units in WY. Maybe small fry, but I spend $ on those hunts: while in WY, I go to the stores to get ice, pay to stay @ a campground the last nite or two, go to the local cantina or steakhouse, buy groceries; bring the family camping in the summer on thinly veiled scouting trips. I want to come back, and spend my chump change, if you let me. 🤠

Last edited: