Work from home dudes

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Any of you all getting anything done? We pulled the kids out of daycare on Friday, not sure when anyone is going back. I'm normally about 80% remote, went to full time remote 2 weeks ago.
With the kids (2.5 and 8mo) at home, it's taking me about about 14 hours to complete an 8 hour shift right now.. Seems like all I'm getting done is breaking up fights between mama and the oldest, taking away dangerous items from the 8mo old, and letting the 2.5 yo and the dog in/out/in/out/in/out of the house.

It's gonna be a long 30 days.

Reactions: tdcour

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm working from home now and set up a temp office in my work-room downstairs.
My wife is working in our office upstairs as she works from home a lot normally anyway.
Kids are grow so no problem there.
The only real issue is I can't figure out how to get my Yellow Lab to understand that I can't throw his stick all day long ….

Reactions: Hilltop

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'm with you Winchester. My lab just can't understand why we won't pay constant attention to him.

My youngest (11) started online school today. It's kind of a joke imo. It took him 35 minutes to complete the bulk of the days work. He is reading a chapter in a book and then will be completely done for the day. I know it can't be easy to teach this way, and maybe it will get better, but first impression isn't good. We are also being told that all remote learning will be 100% review as they aren't allowed to teach any new concepts due to state and Fed laws regarding no child left behind. I think the only real benefit will be just keeping kids a little busy.

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I'm with you Winchester. My lab just can't understand why we won't pay constant attention to him.
Yeah, I also have an Irish Wolfhound and a Golden who are happy to sleep.
But my Lab will chase his stick all day long.
My elbow hurts right now … I think I threw it out yesterday tossing that stick for him!!!

Reactions: Hilltop

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Before the virus i worked from home 3 days a week. The office closed about 3 weeks ago so i'm full time WFH for now. I'm glad they closed the office. I always get more done from home than at work anyway, mostly because I don't have the 2 hours on the road when going into the office. I like to BS with the guys in the office as well, lots of guys that hunt and fish, that I find strange being that we are software development company. My kids are in high school doing the at home assignments, but as hilltop pointed out, the work cannot be used for a grade. Kids will be out of school until at least April 8 and they have been out for a couple weeks (Illinois was one of the first to close all schools).

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I was corrected tonight at diner. Grades did not count the first 2 weeks of the outage but after that the grades count. They are in their third week so grades are counting now.

Reactions: marcusvdk

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I took a new position last year and my office is out of my house. I do however take care of 6 sites from Denver to Casper and go to some combination of them a couple days a week for part of that day or even the whole day, but still home that afternoon. Good mix of at home and away from home, if somebody is bugging my around the house I just say I got to go check a piece of equipment out and leave, LOL!

Last edited:

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I've been full time remote for awhile now so it hasn't been a huge burden yet, but I have plenty of family members and friends struggling to make the transition.

Sometimes you have to work to stay focused, but you don't realize how much of your life (and hair) you lose to a commute until you don't have one! (Or go back to having one.)

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
My office is based out of the house. I've been doing that for nearly 7 years now. It definitely takes some work getting used to. A lot of my work is done early in the morning and later in the evening. I also make sure and let my wife know when I need to get something done for a while so she has to take care of the kids by herself during that time. My wife stays at home as well, so we are very fortunate there. Good luck to everyone adjusting!

My main pointer is to discuss schedules in advance and make a plan to make sure you are free to do your work during that time. Once work is finished, I swap and take the kids so my wife can take a breather and get some of her stuff done. Tag team!

Edited to mention that my kids are 7 and 3. Our school got cancelled for the remainder of the year so both at home again.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
as of yesterday , I am a work at homer . for the next three weeks(maybe more????)

bummer is ,I am now self employed and the boss don't pay so good.

oh well, this to shall pass.