Wolves

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I had a pretty cool expierence saturday. I was walking down a fire\skid trail and came accross a single set of wolf tracks in the snow. I stopped and looked at them and started to follow them with my eyes, i turned to see where they went and realized i could here something. I looked up and 10 yards away was a very wet white dog licking it self. It took me a second to say to my self, that is a wolf, and that is when he looked up at me and we both, had this, where the hell did you come from look. I knew if i went for my rifle, he would run. But i had a tag in my pocket, so i went for my rifle( in an eberlestock scabbard on a pack, with scope covers on and nothing in the chamber.) and he was gone, the brush was to thick to see 40 yards. I ranged the tree he was at, after the incident and it was 10 yards. Never walked up on a wolf before.

on a very sad note, i walked over the top of the mountain with out snowshoes on December 30th. That mountain should have had 5 feet of snow, not less than a foot. This is in North Idaho.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Those wolf encounters are much like lion encounters. Even though I live in the middle of NE Minnesota wolf habitat (2,500+++ wolves), I have only seen a handful in the woods, and no real opportunity to shoot one if it was legal and I was inclined to. Most of my sighting were when they were crossing roads, and often chasing deer.
Tim, that quick draw handgun that some carry in bear country would give you a fighting chance. In three lifetimes it might happen again.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
I had a pretty cool expierence saturday. I was walking down a fire\skid trail and came accross a single set of wolf tracks in the snow. I stopped and looked at them and started to follow them with my eyes, i turned to see where they went and realized i could here something. I looked up and 10 yards away was a very wet white dog licking it self. It took me a second to say to my self, that is a wolf, and that is when he looked up at me and we both, had this, where the hell did you come from look. I knew if i went for my rifle, he would run. But i had a tag in my pocket, so i went for my rifle( in an eberlestock scabbard on a pack, with scope covers on and nothing in the chamber.) and he was gone, the brush was to thick to see 40 yards. I ranged the tree he was at, after the incident and it was 10 yards. Never walked up on a wolf before.

on a very sad note, i walked over the top of the mountain with out snowshoes on December 30th. That mountain should have had 5 feet of snow, not less than a foot. This is in North Idaho.
You must be really sneaky, I 🤣🤣

Reactions: Bugleseeker

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I saw today on Utah Wildlife Board Meeting that if they venture into Utah that the DWR will capture them and return them to Colorado. That is as long as they don't get shot by folks thinking that they are large coyotes as happened to one a couple of years ago down around Beaver I believe.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It appears that one of the wolves has been spotted and had it's picture taken.

It was still north of the Colorado River about 9 miles west of HWY 9 and Green Mountain Reservoir, it was a single wolf. The person who took the picture was driving on the Through Road that runs along the Colorado River from State Bridge on HWY 131 to HWY 9.

I'd post the article but you need to login to the paper to read it.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
It appears that one of the wolves has been spotted and had it's picture taken.

It was still north of the Colorado River about 9 miles west of HWY 9 and Green Mountain Reservoir, it was a single wolf. The person who took the picture was driving on the Through Road that runs along the Colorado River from State Bridge on HWY 131 to HWY 9.

I'd post the article but you need to login to the paper to read it.
JimP, I have my doubts about this story. Things are not adding up. I'm not sure we are getting the whole story from CPW.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The road that it was spotted on is a common shortcut for locals. The person who spotted it and took the picture was a contractor in the area.

Here is a picture of roughly where it was spotted. The rumors of where they were released was around Radium Hot Springs at the top of the picture. The pin at the bottom is about 9 miles west of HWY 9

And here is the lone wolf

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
The road that it was spotted on is a common shortcut for locals. The person who spotted it and took the picture was a contractor in the area.

Here is a picture of roughly where it was spotted. The rumors of where they were released was around Radium Hot Springs at the top of the picture. The pin at the bottom is about 9 miles west of HWY 9

View attachment 45560

And here is the lone wolf

View attachment 45561
I wish they would stand still like that in Idaho. :)

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have seen several posts on FB from ranchers who live in the area and directly west of the release area. They are complaining that P&W is being really quiet on where the released wolves are moving to. Looks like one of the black wolves has move between 50 and 75 miles west of the release site. The posting I saw was almost a week old. One of the posters says they have lost a couple of calves to wolves and P&W won't tell them a thing.

Last edited:

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
From a CPW News Release,
Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) experts completed capture work in Oregon, finishing their work in the state. As a result of the CPW team’s work in Oregon, the agency released a total of 10 gray wolves onto state-owned public land in Summit and Grand counties, continuing the agency’s efforts to create a permanent, self-sustaining gray wolf population in Colorado. This total completes the agreement with Oregon for the December 2023 - March 2024 capture season to provide up to 10 wolves to Colorado. No further releases are planned this calendar year.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
News Release,
"Colorado Parks and Wildlife secures source population of 15 gray wolves for reintroduction efforts from Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation"
CPW plans for these wolves to be captured on tribal lands in eastern Washington during the capture season from December 2024 – March 2025.
https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=4022

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
No they just needed to start the importation of them here in 23.

The article says 10-15 per capture year so the 10 that they released in December fulfilled 23 and then next year the 15 will do it for 24.

There are suppose to be 30-50 total released.

Reactions: idcwby

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Here is a map that was released of where they have been active according to the GPS dataScreenshot_20240124_124326_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: