Who taught you to hunt?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Quite a few people were involved. My best friends dad gets most of the credit but there were several adults who took the time to take me as I was growing up. I have done my best to repay the favor by taking different kids and rookies hunting when I get the chance. To date, I have had over a dozen people take their first big game animal while hunting with me.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Myself and brother in law for the most part.

My dad was a hunter but worked construction where he was never around during hunting seasons and as I grew up putting a sure source of food on the table was more important than hunting.

I lived with my sister and brother in law when I went to Jr High school. Now he was a hunter who loved to hunt just as much as I do. I made the mistake that I wanted to learn how to gut a deer, well by the time that I was done that year with his family and others I must of cleaned a couple dozen deer.

Reactions: lukew

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
My dad.... then my cousin(mom's cousin), him and my dad hunted a lot together, my dad mostly a bird guy growing up....but my cousin got more into big game, so any time I was around him especially as a youngster, I'd pump him for hunting stories etc...

more recently, deer camp has become an a bunch of acquaintances sharing stories etc...

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I owe my crazy obsession to my dad. Ever u since i can remember he’d take me in the woods. Then when I was old enough to hunt, he took me to the mountains to bear hunt, and the rest is history!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Dad got me into hunting. Then I pretty much took it from there.

He thinks I'm "too digital" while hunting.
Says the guy who gets lost behind his own house after dark....lol

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I did ! I would say my brothers deserve some credit also. my dad was not a hunter or an outdoors man in any way. just wasn't his thing. he was just to busy at work , paying the bills so we kids could be the unapriciating assholes we were.😔

we all mostly grew out of it though and became self sufficient with no need or desire to accept handouts. so while he didn't mentor us in the outdoors he did provide a good foundation and set a good example!

sleepingbear

Sep 15, 2011
Carson City
My Dad got me started on upland birds, rifle hunting. At age 9 i started archery and my teachers where Tim and Fern Meigs. My first archery deer tag was when i turned 16, my Dad says you know son it takes an average of 7 years to kill a deer with a bow in Nevada. I came home the next evening with a buck. Never forget the look on his face. My Brother from another mother and his Grandfather got me into waterfowl around the same time. Around the age off 18 i started showing my Dad how to do it! . Now iam the teacher to my soon to be 14yr old Daughter, she has killed two mule deer, quail and a few ducks. Got a few non-hunter friends into it through the years as well.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My dad was a die hard deer hunter, he instilled the desire and taught me a lot. He passed away when I was 17, one of my brothers was a very avid trapper and he taught me to trap.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
My Dad taught me to shoot, which is 90% of it. My first big hunt was a horse pack in hunt that my brother in law invited me on. I still remember it like yesterday. I'm still learning. I will let you know when I have it all figured out.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
My Grandfathers and Dad got me started, none were nearly as serious about it than I am. They hunted a lot but times were just different and how they hunted was a reflection of the time. They didn't backpack hunt, they didn't glass a bunch, they didn't own the best gear, but they were good woodsmen. My Grandfather never hunted out of Montana, except for killing some roe deer during WWII. My Dad never hunted out of the state of Montana until 2002.

The BEST thing they did was to take my brother and I hunting, fishing, camping, etc. anytime we asked, that's worth a ton and I cant repay that, ever. Simply thankful they spent the time.

I still miss hunting and fishing with both my Grandfathers, but still get my Dad out every fall. Wouldn't trade a single one of those day for anything...that's a fact.

Reactions: Buckbob and lukew

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm largely self-taught. In a very odd transaction, I was working on building a plane and realized the project no longer made sense (had another kid on the way, no time to finish it, and the plane only seated 4). So I sold it to a guy who I think felt he got the better end of the deal and on a whim threw a shotgun into the bargain. It was the first firearm I owned, totally unplanned, but that's how life goes, right?

Well, I'm not one to let things go to waste so even though I'd never hunted before (or had any plan to) I couldn't let it just sit there. I started researching it and got hooked. I started hiking and scouting a lot more and got hooked on THAT, and one thing led to another. I took my first elk last year and I'm looking forward to many more years of this.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
My dad gave me the fever for hunting in general. Then when I was 13, I somehow got the itch to bowhunt. Eventually, he also became strictly a bow hunter, and we’ve had a lot of amazing adventures together. Now I’m passing it down to my sons.

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Self taught. My dad was a Coon hunter and that never turned me on. I have always loved the outdoors and started deer hunting some family land in my last 20’s. Killed my first deer with a muzzle loader when I was 33. I was hooked. Taught my son and now my grandsons to hunt. It is one of the few things we have in common considering the age difference. I’m 63 and my youngest grandson is 12.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
My dad thought me the basics, move slow, keep the wind in your face, read sign and how to shoot. The rest I learned on my own. The basics have served me well.

memtb

Fun question! Who taught you to hunt?
A mixture of many folks. My father who wasn’t really a hunter contributed some, but it was mostly my uncles and grandfather on my mothers side. I was following as best I could, through the thick woods of Central -Louisiana starting at around age 5. I stopped many a limb with my face while trailing behind my uncles. They didn’t show much mercy on a kid.....they moved fast, covered a lot of ground, and seemed to forget that my face was just the right height to catch many limbs! 😁 I killed my first deer while hunting with my grandfather, when I was 11 years ten days old! A hunt I will never forget.

My grandfather passed in his late 80’s, never having killed a deer. My grandfather lived at the end of a dirt road, surrounded by miles of timber land, had spent much of his adult life cutting timber and trapping .....yet never killed a deer! There were very few deer in that area back in those days. Word got around very quickly, that a kid had killed an 8 point buck......though it was a “tiny” 8 point! Many folks lived their entire lives in that area and never saw a deer! memtb