Who is Hunting Montana this year?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Out of curiosity, who is planning to hunt Montana this year? Because I am only 30 miles from the border the idea of getting some extra time in the hills there intrigues me, but the cost of non-resident tags kinds of puts me off to the idea.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Taking a party of 6 there, south of Baker, to hunt a new to us ranch. Hunt MT often for deer. I choke on the deer tag cost, but as I burn points elsewhere and free up more of the hunting budget, I keep coming back to MT for those rut hunts. We hope this ranch works out, as I'd love to take my youngest son on a rut hunt, and a grandkid or two if it can become a long term deal. The MD have been on a downward spiral where I have been hunting south of Forsyth, but we saw more bucks last year than the prior 2-3 years.

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
I bought a leftover deer tag. I was going to try to hunt deer in Wyoming but the proposed season was too short for me to make the trip work so I'm going to Montana instead. The tag price is definitely steep. Hope the population has rebounded some. Not sure where I'm going to go hunting. Public land somewhere.......

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I will be back during bow season Elk hunting as usual this year. I am torn between going to my favorite general hunt area or use my Breaks archery permit. Bringing another 1st time Elk hunter with me again this year. Really looking forward to it. Be there for two weeks starting the 11th of Sept.

Last edited:

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
I'll be heading out for the general elk and deer firearm season in the gravellys, greenhorn or tabacoo roots one of them three or maybe all three. Just love being out there in the hills! I know a tag is a lot of money but it's worth it to me. Besides, most people pass more money than the cost of that license every year

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
I'm lucky to live here and I'm already hunting this year. Went bear hunting last Sunday and will be going out again on Thursday! I sure would like to fine one. I did not draw a special mule deer buck tag or bull tag for a couple areas I applied, but I'll put in for a cow tag where I usually hunt. If I don't draw that, it's all good as I can hunt for a brow-tined bull there.

Hopefully I can chase a mule deer this year too. I know a couple spots not too far from home that aren't draw tags. The populations are not too bad but some of eastern and central Montana saw both whitetails and mule deer take a hit from winters and disease.

In June I'll find out if I drew a moose or sheep tag! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Then the end of August I'll find out on the Bison draw!! Man that would be a neat tag. I always buy one of the super-tag chances for $5.00 each too. I get one for moose, sheep, goat, deer, elk, and bison. Best luck to you all this year!

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
Buddy and I both have general deer tags for our fist ever western hunt. Planing on region 7 somewhere, stil working on details of where to start.

ceby7

Feb 21, 2011
Laurel, MT
I'm from MT so yes I will definitely be hunting MT this year. Special archery elk tag along with general deer and hopefully antelope.

missjordan

Veteran member
Dec 9, 2014
Missoula, MT
I'm also a MT resident and will be hunting close to home and taking a big road trip during rifle season. No special draw this year for deer or elk

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Out of curiosity, who is planning to hunt Montana this year? Because I am only 30 miles from the border the idea of getting some extra time in the hills there intrigues me, but the cost of non-resident tags kinds of puts me off to the idea.
I can only imagine trying to weigh the cost of hunting MT as a none resident with the tag price, but I would think that as close as you are to MT you might actually come out ahead in the end due to not having to travel as far to hunt. Saves time and gas money being so close, which both add up quickly usually when hunting out of state, but not so much for you being close.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Dang, anyone going there should jump all over this. Scott is offering to be your Sherpa for your hunt!!!
I about spit out my coffee when I read this! Please, no solicitation for help packing an elk out...I might end up with 300 committments and no time to hunt or work!

dble07

Dec 6, 2014
I'll be making the drive from ND to central Montana for 10 days to hunt the achery elk season then hunt the eastern side for mule deer during rifle season. The cost of the tags is a hard pill to swallow but when you close enough to hunt and scout on weekends it makes it a little easier.

MAKAIRA

Oct 8, 2011
Aptos,Ca
We will be there at some point depending on other draws.It is pricey but it is also a tag we can all get and a fun vacation.Easy for me as pops and his buddy drive and I fly!

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Now Scott....... Reading your first post again it is very evident that since you dont want to purchase a tag you want to tag along and help pack ones elk out.

Just think of all the product reviews you could write for all the different packs !! :)

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Now Scott....... Reading your first post again it is very evident that since you dont want to purchase a tag you want to tag along and help pack ones elk out.

Just think of all the product reviews you could write for all the different packs !! :)
Believe me...I had plenty of packing out last year. When 149 hits your doorstep there is a story in there from a packout that Brandon and I did. It was BRUTAL!