Who is Hunting Montana this year?

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
let us know how it turns out for you. Best of luck!
Well I went back in yesterday morning to keep tabs on the bull, and a few more bulls joined the group, and there were 15 total and one that was a little bigger than the one in the picture. The wind was completely wrong to try a stalk on the group so I was content to just watch them, and wouldn't you know it another hunter saw the group and walk right in on them, upwind. Needless to say the elk blew out of there, and I hiked down to introduce myself. The guy was fairly nice, so I told him that I had a rifle tag for the area, and that with the wind the way it was there was going to be no way to try and kill one of the bulls, and that if we tried it would push the elk out completely. I packed up and hiked out, and he proceeded to walk towards the elk, upwind of them, until they took off again and he then hiked out behind me. As it turns out, when he was driving out I noticed his truck, and he was the same guy that hacked the head off my hunting partners bull last year, and left the carcass. Funny thing is I gave him an earful on that issue too not knowing he was that guy!
Anyway, that is public land hunting at its finest. Hopefully the elk move back in during the break between archery and rifle season. Crossing my finger!

sambo3006

Jun 22, 2015
SW Missouri
I wonder if that guy was born a jackhole or if he had to work at it. I hope you get the big bull and I hope he forgets his ammo back at the house!

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Too bad he didn't push em in your lap. Then he could have seen you shoot the big one. Although he might would have tried to cut the head of yours this year. Oh well good luck and keep after them.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
That sucks. Public is open to idiots too. I will never understand what someone would want with antlers off an animal someone else shot. Just makes no sense.