Which One Would You Shoot?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There would be no question, that mule deer would be down even if I had to wait for the whitetail to clear out from behind him.

The whitetail looks good but you can really see the antlers too well in the photo besides the side view.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
If anyone responded whitetail I would be surprised and confused. That is a decent whitetail buck but that is a once in a lifetime mule deer. Most living out west will never have a chance at a deer like that. Most whitetail hunters will have numerous chances at bucks that caliber in their lifetime.

Put him next to this deer and you have a conversation-

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
Not having hunted Whitetails or seen too many of them, I think I would go with the Whitetail Buck.

Just kidding. Like others on this thread, I too am a sucker for non typical Mule Deer bucks and that one is a dandy. The drop tine is gnarly and awesome to go with all the extra points.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
If anyone responded whitetail I would be surprised and confused. That is a decent whitetail buck but that is a once in a lifetime mule deer. Most living out west will never have a chance at a deer like that. Most whitetail hunters will have numerous chances at bucks that caliber in their lifetime.

Put him next to this deer and you have a conversation-
View attachment 35678
Only killed a couple of Texas whitetails and they are runts compared to this big boy. As I have lots of very respectable mulies, I take this whitetail in a heartbeat.