Where is everyone?

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
The hair has fallen out of the ears completely. Or he scraped it off.....Not sure which.

He simply painted the exposed skin pink.

I killed the deer in early September so I would assume that the "new hair" had just started growing and that might have caused it to slip during his tanning process.

The guy should have called me and I would have just paid for another cape or given him the cape from my GA buck to fix the thing. Instead he trudged forward with what he had to work with.

I think I might be able to fix it doing what you stated above with an airbrush. If I hang it high enough on the wall nobody would ever likely tell.
Yes. The more hair the better but it can still look good with a good air brush job. A lot of ears lose hair especially if a person is not careful when turning or removing cartilage. I'll see if I can find a pic of one that is more paint

Reactions: mallardsx2

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
The hair has fallen out of the ears completely. Or he scraped it off.....Not sure which.

He simply painted the exposed skin pink.

I killed the deer in early September so I would assume that the "new hair" had just started growing and that might have caused it to slip during his tanning process.

The guy should have called me and I would have just paid for another cape or given him the cape from my GA buck to fix the thing. Instead he trudged forward with what he had to work with.

I think I might be able to fix it doing what you stated above with an airbrush. If I hang it high enough on the wall nobody would ever likely tell.
Here's one showing a little more paint.
20211210_120416.jpg

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't even know if it still exists or not but mike and slim at slims taxidermy in glenwood springs colorado does outstanding work

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
don't even know if it still exists or not but mike and slim at slims taxidermy in glenwood springs colorado does outstanding work
He's still there at least his sign is the last time that I drove past his shop this past summer.

Now the question is how do you know Slim? I've taken a couple of mounts to him but changed taxidermist a few years ago.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
don't really know him.
had some mounts done 30 some years ago. their work impressed me!

probly been a good twenty years since I been through glenwood but I still throw em a plug now an then.

mike was/is ????? an artist and would do ink drawings on the euro mounts that were pretty impressive

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Typically it’s about 12 months.

I killed that deer in September and it was one of this guys first deer this year. So it was done quick.

He did my kids first buck and did a great job.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Part of the time delay is due to issues with getting hides tanned. I brought a lion to my local Taxi last January, and a beaver to a furrier and both places are a full year behind just waiting for hides to came back from the tannery. The Taxi has over 20 bears from 2020, and has just sent in a bunch more from 2021.