Where is everyone?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm willing to go to the local Walmart for a can of flat white paint at this point....lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'd take the picture into some other local taxidermist and see what they say.

They should be able to fix it with a little bit of work.

What did your taxidermist say about it? And you say that it is the second one, what did he say about the first? Perhaps he likes pink ears.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The first one my cousin did when I lived up north.

This one was done by a guy who lives near me. I didn't pick up the deer. So I didn't have a chance to speak with him. And I'm too pissed off to go talk to him about it.

Actually, I will spray paint the deer's ears before I go back to talk to him...I never used the guy before and when I met him I didn't like the guy 5 minutes after I met him. I knew better..... but, I left the deer with him because everyone else is so slammed around here. I should have Euro mounted it myself and saved some money.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Dude, I’d be pissed with that mount!!!! I would take the deer back in there and have the guy fix it immediately. Taxidermy is always a touchy subject. But no matter the guy, it’s gotta look legit. That’s a memory that’s going to live a lifetime in your house

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
mallardsX2... Yeah, I'd be pissed about it too. I've never seen one with pink ears. Maybe it's something in the tanning solution. The seam along the back also doesn't appear to be laying flat. You could try air brushing a little brown in the ears ?

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The first one my cousin did when I lived up north.

This one was done by a guy who lives near me. I didn't pick up the deer. So I didn't have a chance to speak with him. And I'm too pissed off to go talk to him about it.

Actually, I will spray paint the deer's ears before I go back to talk to him...I never used the guy before and when I met him I didn't like the guy 5 minutes after I met him. I knew better..... but, I left the deer with him because everyone else is so slammed around here. I should have Euro mounted it myself and saved some money.
I had 3/4 mount done on a black bear about 20 years ago the guy put some weird eyes in it. I couldn’t stop looking at the eyes it ruined the whole mount. After about 2 weeks of being pissed I took a black sharpie and colored in the eyes and it has been that way ever since. The guy actually did a nice job except for the eyes.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had 3/4 mount done on a black bear about 20 years ago the guy put some weird eyes in it. I couldn’t stop looking at the eyes it ruined the whole mount. After about 2 weeks of being pissed I took a black sharpie and colored in the eyes and it has been that way ever since. The guy actually did a nice job except for the eyes.
My black wildebeast has weird eyes, but then they are kind of a weird animal to start with. When you walk into the room where he is on the wall his eyes follow you and kind of say that he is going to get you.

Before you start spraying colors onto those ears look at other mounts and see what color they are. On my deer the ears have a lot of hair in them. Looking at my coues the hair almost looks like rabbit hair but thinned out some.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Lightly spray a flesh tone tan then use a light white overspray or whatever color you decide is natural. spray it a bit heavier on the natural lines where the skin folds that run vertical in the ear and feather it to almost nothing in the flats using an air brush. Use as little as possible to tone it down and blend it in. When you're done lightly rub the hair inside the ear so the paint will fall off of it. Obviously the trick is to make it look alive, not painted. I added a couple close up pics to show the vertical hair lines you are trying to recreate. Pics are blacktail bucks so the colors are a little different, but they show the basic lines good.
Not sure if this helps, but it is definitely fixable, just remember less is usually better with paint in ears. Some taxidermists might lightly strip the pink paint off first, before repainting. A lot of times the natural color and lines are still slightly there to use as a pattern. Good luck2016 056.JPG

2016 054.JPG

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The hair has fallen out of the ears completely. Or he scraped it off.....Not sure which.

He simply painted the exposed skin pink.

I killed the deer in early September so I would assume that the "new hair" had just started growing and that might have caused it to slip during his tanning process.

The guy should have called me and I would have just paid for another cape or given him the cape from my GA buck to fix the thing. Instead he trudged forward with what he had to work with.

I think I might be able to fix it doing what you stated above with an airbrush. If I hang it high enough on the wall nobody would ever likely tell.

DH56

Jan 17, 2014
Northern, Ohio
I'm still around here and there, now and then-just retired earlier this year. Been kind of enjoying life. Planned for many years to get some additional special hunts in when I did retire, but 90-10 and the debate has affected me some. What is disturbing is that you buy points for 15-25 years and then the game changes mid stream. Trust me, I get it, and it's something we can't control but hard to take if my 20 moose points may even be harder to draw one of my 2 top areas with less tags available.

Plan B is I go hunt moose elsewhere and hunt where I can while I can. I'll get a few more hunts in out West. Been hunting out West since the early 90's. This "pandemic" didn't help matters as well.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm still around here and there, now and then-just retired earlier this year. Been kind of enjoying life. Planned for many years to get some additional special hunts in when I did retire, but 90-10 and the debate has affected me some. What is disturbing is that you buy points for 15-25 years and then the game changes mid stream. Trust me, I get it, and it's something we can't control but hard to take if my 20 moose points may even be harder to draw one of my 2 top areas with less tags available.

Plan B is I go hunt moose elsewhere and hunt where I can while I can. I'll get a few more hunts in out West. Been hunting out West since the early 90's. This "pandemic" didn't help matters as well.
Yup, get it while you can as best you can. The changes will be rough on a lot of people no doubt.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co

On moose I figure that I didn't want to play all the states points game so I never put in for any of them. But I am locked in on a lot of pronghorn and deer points in Wyoming that will get used in a few years.

I figured that with moose I'll just save my money and then head up to Canada. But I too am on the south side of life and don't have than many hunting years left in me. But I'll go until I can't go anymore.

Reactions: RICMIC

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
In the last several months I have noticed a big drop off of posts. I would expect to see an increase of successful tag holders and future hunters asking lots of questions and asking for advice. Is it just me or have other members noticed the same thing?
A lot of the new hunters prefer to get their information from the "Social Media" sites, including reloading information. Whether they are too cheap to buy a reloading manual or just too lazy to look it up is beyond me. Then we have a whole cadre of folks who abhor accepting any advice or knowledge from old geezers (like me) because they have already read all about it on the internet. It is a different world from the one we grew up in.