What pistol?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I am just out scouting or hiking into a remote lake for some fishing I will have a number of pistols to pick from.

If I am serious about black bears I'll be packing my Ruger 44 mag Super Redhawk. If I just plan to scare them then I'll pack my Ruger GP100 in 357 or one of my semi automatics in .40 S&W. I don't worry about mountain lions since they run away from you 99% of the time..

Holsters are a personal preference but I prefer shoulder holsters for packing a heavy firearm

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I pack my Kimber 10mm out west. I use just a hip holster here but have a bino harness with a built in holster when hunting out west.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Not likely that you will run into a hungry bear, but it only takes one. S&W makes some excellent J frame revolvers chambered in .357 Magnum that are both rugged and lightweight. That has been my choice of a trail gun for over twenty years. I have even killed a couple of deer with it. Never had to fire mine at a bear though. Holster choice is a Simply Rugged cross draw.

Reactions: Rich M

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I'm not too worried about either. I've never had a problem with bears or lions. I did have a bear popping his/her jaws at me in the oakbrusk in the dark at 10 yards one time. I backed out and went around. :D

Blowing cow/calf sounds in cat country is probably the main reason I'd think about carrying a pistol. I've had a couple .454 Casulls in the past, but I sold them. Don't currently have a .44 or anything bigger than 9mm. Whether it's a real need or not, it's a good excuse to buy another pistol.

"Darlin', I need a bigger pistol so I don't get eaten by lions and bears." ;) :D

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I think in black bear /mountain lion country its a waste of weight to carry.

Grizzly/Brown bear now thats another topic.

Google all the testing done with a big wheel gun vs an auto. It will change your way of thinking in the area of self protection. Look at functionality and getting multiple accurate shots off.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I don’t carry a gun when I’m hunting with my bow. I just don’t like the extra weight.

I did start taking my 22 pistol with me when I drive into my deer lease on my side-by-side. It isn’t for bears or mountain lions though…

Reactions: ScottR

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Outside of the black bear rut, I don’t have any concerns about being attacked by them or mountain lions. If I were, I’d probably carry a 357 or 44. I know they aren’t the most powerful, but a lot lighter than the big hand cannons

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I don’t worry about toting a pistol for black bears or Mt Lions. I live in Oregon where they run amuck those critters are more scared of me than I am of them.

Last edited:

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I carry whatever happens to be in the seat beside me. Glock 40 is the biggest I have right now. Glad to see most of u haven’t had issues with black bears but I have. The bears here in Oklahoma are like you describe. Scared and wary for the most part but I’ve had 2 experience with Colorado bears that didn’t require a shot but I was half way home on the trigger both times. One was a sow with Cubs that I had no idea were there or I was between mother and Cubs. The other was with a western Colorado bear last sept that was starving after the drought and record fire had ravaged his home range. I had a bear in camp each night that would walk between our tents so close I could hear him breathing. So save weight if u choose but I’ll be packing as any gun is better than no gun when 4 legged critters or 2 legged critter become primal. Glock 40 and uncle Mike’s is what I’ll side sept 2.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I carry a 40 on my hip while hunting and on my pack belt while packing- non grizzly areas. I'll second that 2 legged predators are way more likely than 4 legged ones. The 40 is plenty for that.

Reactions: mallardsx2

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
For most of the two legged creatures I’ve encountered I’m pretty sure a BB gun would be sufficient. Lol