What motivates you to shoot?

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
It's been 2 months since I started this thread. I was shooting good for me last week, I was feeling pretty good to 50 yards. I thought I needed a bigger peep since I couldn't see the entire sight ring, I did that and bough 6 new arrows. I have shot the last 2 nights and I am shooting like s__t. I have lost 2 of the 6 new arrows I bought and cant hit the broad side of a barn, what the hell is the deal? It's like I haven't shot in 2 years, I only have 6 weeks till I leave for Wyoming and all the confidence I had is now gone. I feel like the more I shoot the worse I get.
Move back up to 20 yds and start rebuilding you confidence. You may go back to your old peep too.

I shoot every day because I feel I owe it to the animals I hunt.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Might have to go over your bow again and make sure everything is still hunky dory, it seemed like last time it was a simple fix. Whenever I change something that is usually the first thing that goes wrong. That is my luck, though. You are still doing a heck of a lot better than I am. I really need to get a move on things.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
What size peep did you go too? I shoot a 1/4 inch hole peep. You just need to make sure you center your sight right. Are you using a whisker brisket arrow rest?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I went to the 1/4 hole peep and yes Whisker Bisket. I started shooting @ 20 after the new peep to sight in. Once I got dialed @ 20 I went to 30 and so on, I'm good till I get out to 40. I am wondering if fatigue is setting in on me. Before the new peep I was starting @ 60 then as I tire I get closer. I will try starting @ 50 today. Thanks for the tips

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
You might also be having an issue with sight alignment with the new peep. are you just centering your pin in the peep or are you framing the ring on your sight. Try focusing your eye on the pin rather than the target. I had some of these same same issues when I switched from a closed/hooded peep to an open one. Consistancy takes a more conscious effort with the open peep.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
You might also be having an issue with sight alignment with the new peep. are you just centering your pin in the peep or are you framing the ring on your sight. Try focusing your eye on the pin rather than the target. I had some of these same same issues when I switched from a closed/hooded peep to an open one. Consistancy takes a more conscious effort with the open peep.
I am centering the sight ring with the peep, then set the pin on target. I was shooting good the other day,but not now. Maybe I'm just having a bad couple days? I really don't know how some of you guys shoot 100 yards. I've been shooting regularly for months, I don't think I will ever feel good enough to shoot past 60, I don't think I have enough talent for it.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
When you shoot tonight focus on making the pin as clear as possible and let the target be blurry. The other thing I do is center the pin in the peep. I know alot of people like to center the ring, but for me that messes with my focus. I think if you are focusing on the ring of the sight and the edge of the peep you are missing the most importact factor in sight alignment, a focused pin on the target, the peep should be in the background. Imagine looking through a rifle scope and trying to make sure the outer edge of the FOV is centered in the scope, seems crazy, you just center the crosshairs, and focus on a spot.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I like a whisker biscket but..... That being said the arrow stays up against the arrow rest much longer (in arrow flight time) then a drop away rest. If your form isnt good or up to par and are not holding true for that last split second it will really show at distances. Where a drop away rest drops away instantly from the arrow a whisker brisket holds the arrow all the way through the shot. If you have a habit of dropping and pulling your bow to the left you can possibly loose arrows to the left and low if you do. Form is very important with the WB at distance.

Last edited:

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
When I switched to a drop away, I was able to shoot a lot better at longer distances. I center the sight ring with my peep and then put the pin on the target, this way your eye automatically centers it just like the peep sight on a gun. I would check that your bow is in spec, and or re tune it. Sometimes you have to start from scratch. Good luck to you I hope you get your confidence back, that is half the battle.

huntman

Mar 2, 2014
The easiest for me is this.......

I'm able to shoot at home in my backyard. I keep my bow handy where it's easy to get to(right inside the door to the garage). I will practice short sessions every once in a while all year(not as much in the winter). Maybe 15 shoots. The rest of the time, any time I pass by the garage door and have a minute or two, I grab my bow and one arrow. I line up like this is the one shot I get at a big buck or bull.....and shoot just that one arrow. I make that one arrow the most important shot, because that's usually all you get and is the most important arrow in a real hunting situation.

This way I never get bored and it helps me execute that one important 1st shot. I never shoot a second, even if it was off the mark. I think it helps fend off some of the overbearing excitement that goes with making that shot during the real moment of truth.