What motivates you to shoot?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Well I shoot at the range targets that are probably 4 foot tall and 4 feet wide or so. Just to make sure I don't loose any arrows. But I will have to take my rhinehart block out and shoot 80.

Good group, I like to try and get 4" or smaller. Ideally 2 if I am on my game. But 8" or lower is a good group IMO.
That's crazy good, I didn't even know that's possible. I don't shoot that good at 40 yards right now. I doubt my bow set up is capable of shooting that well.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
The bow you got now, did you go and shoot a bunch before buying it? Is the DL correct? Are you overbowed? Is the spine weak? Is the bow in tune?

As you can tell right now and I am sure you know, all these things can add up and affect accuracy.
I shot it 3 times before I bought it. I had all three arrows touching fletching @ 20 yards and walked out the door with it. I don't know what my DL is, how would you know if your overbowed and I don't even know what spine is??
I have had it tuned reciantly though!

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
i agree guys i have a range in my yard to 80 yards that is all i can get. but shooting at that range all the time makes your hunting ranges seem so easy. I love to practice especially with buddies. I like the competitive feel makes me concentrate harder. When that bull walks out in September i know i will hit him and don't have to think about it, it is just natural.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Because I'm a hunter, in Oregon if you don't draw a rifle tag the only OTC hunts im most eastern Oregon units are bow hunts. I have become pretty good at calling in bulls the last few years too, so that's another reason why I like bow hunting. I just haven't found as much joy in shooting as I do hunting. It's the same story for rifles for me, but rifles are way more forgiving than bows. I've always been more hunter than shooter.

I have to admit, a 3D shoot is intimidating to me, but I have considered trying it. I have shot with my cousins in situations like that an I tend to hold my own around them. Thanks Fink
I feel the same way. I need to improve my skills, but its intimidating to go to long range ranges and lose arrows. It seems like there is always a pro there, but the3-D deals super fun and really improve skills like learning angles and judging distance. The people here are super nice and I expect they are where you are. I am in the same boat. It is hard to get motivated to go out and do it. My eleven year old loves it, and bless his heart he is kindof a spazz. I guess we both just have to suck it up buttercup like my wife likes to say. :) I might need lessons on calling them in. Archery hunting here seems a lot more appealing because of the bugling and fewer hunters, so I also need to work on some of the longer distances like people were saying.

That's pretty impressive killing a bull your first time out archery.

Last edited:

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I'm going to turn this into a post padding thread! I thought I was done for the day but I have to wait to load a truck before I can get out of here.

Velvet, I bought it from a reputable local bow shop. They sold me exactly what I was asking for, an inexpensive, reliable hunting bow. I have had it fo 3 years now and not touched much on it. I have adjusted the sights here and there but for the most part is just like it was when I walked out with it. I killed a bull with it the first season I hunted with it and haven't hunted with it since. It hung on the wall all year last year, I may have shot it a few times, but not much at all.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Againstthewind, I need to clarify, the bull I killed with my currant bow was not my first time out. I have been bow hunting for years with many of those years being unssuccesful. I had just bought a new bow that year.

It's also nice to know I'm not the only one who struggles with a bow.

Last edited:

2rocky

Sep 10, 2012
A Weekly 3d league keeps me fired up. I'll admit I don't shoot as much now as the first 5 years of bowhunting. Seeing my accuracy/scores improve kept me eager to continue to improve. When you stall out or plateau it can shake your confidence some. Then shooting isn't as much fun.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Oh sorry about that. Sometimes I read what I want to read. Its still an pretty good accomplishment to get a bull with a bow, I think. Its a pretty challenging task.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I think you may have nailed it 2rocky. I have been shooting bows for 25+ years, I guess the novelty has worn off a little. Maybe a 3D shoot is what I need to re-kindle the flame. It's crazy that I've been shooting bows longer than Velvet's been alive and Im asking him for advise, pretty cool really...

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I started shooting tournaments when I started Bowhunting elk in the early 90s. Just the thought of getting a Elk with a bow was my motivation. After the first one it even inspired me more to stay with the bow. It's not easy but when it all comes together there is nothing else like it. When that bull is screaming at 10yds you draw back and shoot then watching that arrow vanish in the perfect spot it makes all the practice worth it. 3dTournaments make a huge difference and will help you in many ways. I don't shoot tournaments anymore but I have 6 3d targets behind the house. When August rolls around I will shoot them more than a bag Target.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I'm going to turn this into a post padding thread! I thought I was done for the day but I have to wait to load a truck before I can get out of here.

Velvet, I bought it from a reputable local bow shop. They sold me exactly what I was asking for, an inexpensive, reliable hunting bow. I have had it fo 3 years now and not touched much on it. I have adjusted the sights here and there but for the most part is just like it was when I walked out with it. I killed a bull with it the first season I hunted with it and haven't hunted with it since. It hung on the wall all year last year, I may have shot it a few times, but not much at all.
I would really check your form out, and make sure the bow is in tune. Does it have stock strings on it?

The reason I am asking this, this all affects accuracy. I don't have the exact perfect form, but I repeat my form and shot everytime. I shoot a little longer DL but I like the anchor it gives me. I would love to help you get comfortable at long range but its hard to do through a website.

velvetfvr

Veteran member
May 6, 2012
Nv
I think you may have nailed it 2rocky. I have been shooting bows for 25+ years, I guess the novelty has worn off a little. Maybe a 3D shoot is what I need to re-kindle the flame. It's crazy that I've been shooting bows longer than Velvet's been alive and Im asking him for advise, pretty cool really...
I love 3d shoots. I also find they help prepare for hunting. You are hiking around, shooting animal like targets from hunting scenarios at times.

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I shot a lot more when I traveled around shooting 3D tournaments. Started that at 12 and pretty much quit at 21 bc by that point I was burnt out on it. Trying to best the adults so i could talk some "cash stuff" to them was a lot of motivation and I'd find myself shooting 100arrows a day. I shot a deer with my bow a cpl years back and there was just no adrenalin rush from it that I used to get drawing back on one.

slim jim

Sep 14, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I love shooting my bow! I shoot about 6 days a week on average. I try and shoot at least 50+ arrows each shoot. I shoot down the side of my house 3 days a week at 20 yrds, up and downhill at 20-50 yrds once a week, long distance once a week (60-100 yrds) and a field range in the mountains where I'm a member of an archery club. There are 3 different ranges up there that consist of 3d, field range and hunter 2d targets. I made the field range more enjoyable by creating a score card like golf which consists of 28 targets. Makes it fun and competitive when shooting with buddies

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Well I shot my bow last night. I don't know whats up, I couldn't get a group out of it to save my rear. I'm taking it to the bow shop, I know I'm not that bad of a shot, so something has to be fouled up. I just had it tuned up, so what the hell? I was more frurstrated than ever by the time I put it away.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
Don't get discouraged! I am a beginner but I have had days like that. It could as simple as the sights loose on accident or your release isn't quite right or just a bad day. It seems like archery has some zen stuff to it. If I have had a bad day and go shooting, I shoot angry, and not so good. Don't mean to get weird, it might just be I tightening my grip on the bow and the arrows go everywhere. Anyway I am trying to be encouraging because I am often in the same boat so I am encouraging myself on the way.